News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard some more confidential stuff that the downclock isn't likely true.

I think we can put everything together from the best sources, Major Nelson, Leadbetter/Interference, Baumann's leading post, another source of the highest caliber close to MS I cant mention, vs...CBOAT and thuway? Odds are 80-20 or 90-10 against at this point.

Yes, I think so too. If there really was a downclock the rumours would have spread beyond GAF, like with Edge's always online story which was then corroborated by bgassassin and kotaku.

The fact that it hasn't most likely indicates that it stems from some confusion/misinformation on thuway's & proelites side - as after three days you'd expect some other outlet to repeat or add to their story.

Last edited by a moderator:
What? What? Seriously, what??
Lots of people I know in another forum. One of those is a friend of mine, a psychologist and she has always been a loyal Xbox user.

She is a fun, nice person, and her attitude helps to keep a healthy community alive.

I still have to ask to whom I consider my best friend -who is also a female and is my friend on Xbox Live and other places too- what she thinks on the matter, but I haven't had the chance to do so.

I don't like to see people, who used to think like me, drifting away because of such corporate measures and draconian set of principles.

I think we can put everything together from the best sources, Major Nelson, Leadbetter/Interference, Baumann's leading post, another source of the highest caliber close to MS I cant mention, vs...CBOAT and thuway? Odds are 80-20 or 90-10 against at this point.

Well, thuway posted the "PSN behind paywall" and he backpedaled, thuway can be wrong sometimes. CBOAT keep saying MNelson is wrong.

But, if the downclock thing is real, the devs must know it. And if devs know it, some webs may know it. And nothing from webs yet.

I sure am out of the loop. You've joined the ranks of insiders too?

Well, thuway posted the "PSN behind paywall" and he backpedaled, thuway can be wrong sometimes. CBOAT keep saying MNelson is wrong.

But, if the downclock thing is real, the devs must know it. And if devs know it, some webs may know it. And nothing from webs yet.

i heard cboat is actually a (the?) source of the downclock rumors. In fact he initially posted confirming but then quickly edited it (I've didn't see but was told) so the fact he wont cop to them with his personal account speaks a lot, that he's at least not sure (only other explanation he's scared of being found out)

But we're dealing with PM's and rumors and he said she said nonsense so take it all with a grain of salt.

I sure am out of the loop. You've joined the ranks of insiders too?

Nah lol. Mostly I dont know much. I just heard third hand that about the most credible possible source in MS denied the downclock, a source that would know for sure EG, be hands on with latest kits.

X1 is now on Drudge linking here: http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/07/n...r-microsoft-will-watch-you-247/#ixzz2VYZSDzox

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Regarding the Kinect spying issue, I find the key issue to be this: Can a device "listen" while not "recording" and can that be proven, technically and schematically to the point where there's no question?

If the answer is "YES", then I don't think Governments (such as Germany) have any leg to stand on.

Now, the tinfoil hatters out there still have an issue. Because there still is the ability for the Guvmit to file a warrant with MS to get the mics turned on to record without the user knowing. Even though this isn't the natural state of the equipment, the possibility exists. Or rather, the ability exists.

But, that's really no different than the fact that the Guvmit can do the same thing with your cell phone. And if you don't have a cell phone because you don't want somebody to have the ability to remotely record your calls, turn on your microphone when you aren't even on a call, turn on your camera, etc.. then you certainly should not buy a One. No doubt about it. Then again, I wouldn't have any device connected to the internet if I felt that way.

Any device connected to the internet is a potential security risk for corporations and government and a potential privacy risk for individuals. I just wonder how many of these people that are concerned about what might happen if the Guvmit files a warrant to tap the Kinect are freely sharing personal information over Twitter and Facebook without even thinking twice.

I have mixed feelings and conflicting voices on this.

Microsoft have been brave in that they are going to protect developers, so they are getting full support from them.

Poor developers might get a lot of money from the second hand market and have a lot more chances of survival this way.

This is the good news, now the bad....

I want the physical stores to survive too.

I hate anything virtual. :???: So I am going to declare war to the digital market.

Sure, I have some digital games -Games on Demand-, and XBLA games, GoG games, etc.

But I don't want games to destroy my sense of ownership anymore. So I am going to have MY game within its case (MY case).

I need those cases. I don't want MY games which I paid with MY money being handled in a virtual world by a big corporation.

So yeah, Game, Gamestop and such have my full support. :smile:

I hope Microsoft had the decency to create some kind of partnership with those retailers and renting services so they can survive and keep their employees.

I agree with you on the Gamestop issue, that is true. They will probably die off eventually and that means a loss of a company and jobs and that is never a good thing. This is the biggest downside.

I like digital in that I don't have to have disks floating around and I can play what I want immediately.
I can just play right away without finding or putting in a disk and it's extremely quiet (since the disk isn't spinning). You also get the best performance and the loading screens are less.

I agree with you on the Gamestop issue, that is true. They will probably die off eventually and that means a loss of a company and jobs and that is never a good thing. This is the biggest downside.

Yes it's a shame that some companies are based on old business models that are no longer valid. Gamestop and their ilk is really no different than the Horse-Whip-Makers going under with the uprising of the automobile. With all businesses they need to adapt or die.

MS pulled the old PR stunt of dumping bad news out just before the weekend, traditionally this is done on Friday's, and they have their E3 PC just a couple of days away. They are hoping that no mainstream media pick up on it and that the E3 shows will give people too much other material to go back to "old" news.

I've checked around and it is not making the mainstream sites of ABC, NBC, CNN etc.

They should have done this properly on May 21st and it would be quiet now.

It looks like all of the intelligent people have already left NeoGaf...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=580169

I'm specifically addressing his over reaching; he is claiming that XB1 will never be hacked and because of this the XB1 could/should be the lead platform for developers. I think you and I both know that is extremely faulty logic on many levels.

I simply pointed out one problem with this conclusion; namely that the 360 was the lead for many third parties in spite of being hacked much earlier than the PS3 therefore hacking didn't change the lead platform for developers.

Its far more reasonable to assume that developers will choose to lead with the platform that has the best tools.

Nevermind how one infers that a 3 OS platform will never be hacked....

Surface RT (Windows RT) was hacked, quite easily and quickly as it turned out.

I can see XB1 also being hackable, and now that it shares a common core with Windows possibly some of those hacking techniques in the windows world may apply to XB1 ;)

Surface RT (Windows RT) was hacked, quite easily and quickly as it turned out.

I can see XB1 also being hackable, and now that it shares a common core with Windows possibly some of those hacking techniques in the windows world may apply to XB1 ;)

As I've asked before, hacked to what end? For what purpose?

So that people who decide to pay a good deal of money for a One will be allowed to use it to play games off line? Wonderful. Considering the One was designed from the ground up to provide services that require an On-line connection. And we all know that the PS4 is going to have superior games anyway, so why would you even WANT to hack a One in order to play their sub par, crappy ass games off line?

Why would anybody pay the money to buy the console, then go through the trouble of hacking it, just so they can play games that are obviously and clearly inferior to those available on the PS4?

I like digital in that I don't have to have disks floating around and I can play what I want immediately.
I can just play right away without finding or putting in a disk and it's extremely quiet (since the disk isn't spinning). You also get the best performance and the loading screens are less.

Things is that they could have easily gone with a hybrid mode, and just required that you insert you disk once in each 15-30 days. They could even implemented both methods if it was meant to be as user friendly as possible and still do not let the same disc making multiple permanent installs.

This really means that they want to control you, not your copy!

And/Or that if someone use your copy to go to the Internet it would uninstall it from your system next time you log in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it's a shame that some companies are based on old business models that are no longer valid. Gamestop and their ilk is really no different than the Horse-Whip-Makers going under with the uprising of the automobile. With all businesses they need to adapt or die.

It is still quite valid IMO, I do prefer it!

Still that will go to bigger economics problems that there is no jobs for everyone even existing stuff (food and products) for everyone.

Machines replaced us in or work, even this physical purchase could be handled by a machine :cry:.

It is still quite valid IMO, I do prefer it!

Still that will go to bigger economics problems that there is no jobs for everyone even existing stuff (food and products) for everyone.

Machines replaced us in or work, even this physical purchase could be handled by a machine :cry:.

Yes. Completely off topic, but I had this very conversation with a coworker just this week and he was wondering that as China's standard of living continues to increase, what is going to happen to all the Walmarts, etc.. that sell cheap products due to cheap labor.

I told him the answer is simple, those companies and factories will move elsewhere (as they already have.. from Japan, to China, to Taiwan) to where ever the cheap labor exists. At some point, there will be a tipping point. Where population levels are too great to sustain the continued increase in standard of living and people will once again be forced to take whatever jobs are available in order to just sustain basic survival. And right about that time, machines will be advanced enough to take over the majority of jobs anyway.

If you aren't doing something that requires creativity, or something that can't be easily defined by a written process, then your head is on the chopping block. It's on its way. It will happen, and probably in our life time.

But, yes. The first to go are going to be the Gamestop employees that offer nothing to the sales process and can be easily replaced by vending machines. Gamestop employees and fast food workers, they are in the same category and they will go first.

I don't cry for them because there will always be a point where it is more efficient to have 1000 people digging ditches than it is to purchase a $200 million dollar machine to dig the same ditch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back