News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's be honest , even if it's $100 cheaper , would you bother ?
(assuming the rumors are true).

Not sure at this point. Many things about the PS4 appeal to me...I dislike the MS obsession of Kinect...it is ok but I like rumble and crisp precision that a gamepad has.

The ace MS has up its sleeve as far as games I think that are high quality is John Howard the game designer. I don't think Sony has anyone as talented as him except for the San Diego MLB Show team. I put Howard on the same level as Will Wright.

"Illumiroom" must be one of the dumbest ideas in gaming I've ever seen, together with the nintendo virtual boy and a precious few others. Expensive, distracting, power-hogging and simply pointless, there's no redeeming qualities about that junk whatsoever.

For me, Illumiroom looks super exciting and much more interesting than 3D gaming. I am not interested that much into Kinect, but I want Illumiroom in my new NextBox, could be supercool!

I must say, if the subscription really is $299 plus $10 a month for 2 years ($539 total) then its a pretty good deal actually (compared to paying $499 outright that is, if not exactly good value for the hw you'll be getting)
As it'd usually cost me at least $40 a year for Xbox Live, so paying $40 for two years isn't bad.
Not to mention the effects of 3% inflation a year making an initial outlay of $299 somewhat preferable to $499.

I don't regard paying $499 for a console which is only worth $249 by any conventional means. Maybe some people care for special services like skype on their TV or for multi player experience but I really don't.

I don't regard paying $499 for a console which is only worth $249 by any conventional means. Maybe some people care for special services like skype on their TV or for multi player experience but I really don't.

Look around your home and I'd bet you paid more than 100% of the manufacturing costs for the majority of your past purchases. Furthermore, a console manufacturer isn't going to venture into no-mans land for no reason. MS must really think that they are offering a product that can warrant the price at least temporarily. Until we see what a $500 dollar purchase actually provides you from MS, I think any comments that MS's product is overpriced is premature.

The biggest issue I have with this outlook is where can you find a product sporting a 8 x86-cores and 12 AMD GCN CUs for $249? You probably couldnt find just a processor with such configuration at a much cheaper price. If MS offers a console whose utility is vastly expanded beyond just gaming then it warrant MS to charge a higher price while selling the console at a profit. Do you expect Live and games to support a userbase that maybe greatly expanded with a bunch of users who don't consume games as heavily as your traditional console buyer.

The other issue is that people aren't even considering the possibilities that MS may offer non gaming features that maybe so attractive that they as hardcore or core gamers might be perfectly willing to accept 1.2 TFs of gpu computing power to obtain features not readily offered by other consoles. The smartphones that most of us sport today aren't the product of the smartphone market pre-2007. They are products that are basically derivatives of iphone and the first android based phones whose success with the mainstream have driven the underlying performance of the hardware, the number of apps and app diversity at a pace not possible by the limited user appeal of pre 2007 smartphones. Nothing is going to drive hardware performance on a console better than mass appeal. If MS's new console acts as catalyst to break out of the traditional mold and find a new level of acceptance into homes then I am all for it, 1.2 TFs or not.

Furthermore, we all have the option to wait until a console potentially gets to price point we deem satisfactory.

Last edited by a moderator:
500$ is really on ? How advanced is Kinect2 ? I can't believe they sold Kinect for 150$ and now it is 100. But even if Kinect2 around 150-200$ :???: It is adding so much price to 720. That will turn off people those who are not even too interested in Kinect2.

I am with Grall.
Illumiroom is horrid.

I'm reserving judgement on illumiroom until i experience it for myself as there have been some senior technical folks in here that are big fans of the possibilities. I'm more "disappointed" in it possibly being in the reveal tomorrow is that we already knew about and I'd prefer all new info.

Even something stupid as Ambilight on my old Philips TV is nice and helps...Illumniroom looks to me like proper next gen stuff. If MS puts this into the NextBox and it really works as shown in the video which floated around some time ago...man, this would be something to differentiate yourself from the competition. Here is hoping for Illumniroom.

Even something stupid as Ambilight on my old Philips TV is nice and helps...Illumniroom looks to me like proper next gen stuff. If MS puts this into the NextBox and it really works as shown in the video which floated around some time ago...man, this would be something to differentiate yourself from the competition. Here is hoping for Illumniroom.

So many problems to solve with illumiroom based on the way its been presented so far, I just wonder how MS can solve them all

EDIT: New racing game confirmed tomorrow?

I'm with you. Illumiroom seems really cool. It feels next gen. Will it get old quick? Possibly, but that happens with anything. Will be cool if the $500 SKU includes Kinect 2 & Illumiroom. Maybe they will make Kinect 2 required, but Illumiroom will be optional leaving room for a cheaper SKU without it?

Tommy McClain

I'm with you on this, we want new ideas and experiences, I suspect the people who like traditional set ups and more IQ only are of the older old skool generation.

I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, but it pretty obvious people stick to what they first liked and are resistant to new concepts the older they get.

The younger audience is going to love things like illumiroom and a more advanced kinect.

The biggest issue I have with this outlook is where can you find a product sporting a 8 x86-cores and 12 CU AMD APU for $249? You probably you couldnt find just a processor with such configuration at a much cheaper price.

Why do I want to is the question you should ask yourself. Consoles are granted gatekeeper environments by their users and developers because both sides have the perception that they got a fair deal.

I've always perceived the Wii as a moral hazard to this perception because its gimmick made it a lightning in the bottle while breaking the implied "contract". At least the Wii-U now shows that you can try to bend the rules for a time but karma is still there to deliver the punishment.

Yes I think that illumiroom will be awesome and deeply immersive, it covers lateral "blurred" vision that human eyes has. if it work with a cheap mini-projector and kinect, it will be full of win

and there's the augmented reality glasses too. hope to see all of this tomorrow!
Innovate please, kinect2 + illumiroom + 3d glasses can change the whole gaming experience to the next level.

Why do I want to is the question you should ask yourself. Consoles are granted gatekeeper environments by their users and developers because both sides have the perception that they got a fair deal.

I've always perceived the Wii as a moral hazard to this perception because its gimmick made it a lightning in the bottle while breaking the implied "contract". At least the Wii-U now shows that you can try to bend the rules for a time but karma is still there to deliver the punishment.

You're still living in the age where the only thing that costs money is hardware. Developing and maintaining software is expensive, and it provides value. Should software companies give away their products for free?

Semiaccurate Claims "VI" Diagram As Their Creation?

I just saw this article over at Semiaccurate: "AMD’s Volcanic Islands architecture"

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/05/20/amds-volcanic-islands-architecture/

The linked articles show the previously circulated VI/"Hawaii" diagram and thus this seems to mean that Semiaccurate created that diagram to illustrate what could be possible from a 28 nm to 20 nm process shrink.

Still interesting from a die area/transistor budget perspective. I certainly would like to see a die area budget matching Xenon/Waternoose & Xenos but in 20 nm or at least 28 nm.

Innovate please, kinect2 + illumiroom + 3d glasses can change the whole gaming experience to the next level.

I was imagining it
The projector needs some distance from the wall to be effective, so if it's in front of you, you must stay away from kinect and it can not work or work poorly not being able to detect finer details
If you put the projector behind, you can play kinect but your body would occlude the light casting shadows on the wall and ruining the effect.

And in any case it looks like i need to build an apposite room for it :S
Here in old europe rooms are built differently, and if you have space in the middle you put a table.
Maybe in texas...

Even 3D had a hard time catching on.
Asking for so much hardware for such an experience isn't going to fly with most households.

Illumiroom could never work in my room, so it is hard for me toget excited about it ... I am more excited about Kinect. If they get it to work right and support it right, it should be pretty awesome. The first version is full of unrealised potential ...

Next-Gen FIFA tomorrow

BKuZz_pCcAEPApX.jpg:large

You're still living in the age where the only thing that costs money is hardware. Developing and maintaining software is expensive, and it provides value. Should software companies give away their products for free?

So you want to tell me now paying beyond the perceived HW costs is for the Win8 port and tweaked user interface so that MS can sell their digital content? What's wrong with you:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back