Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

Interesting read found on GAF:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/110629qa/04.html

Regarding the Wii, the lack of software was extreme only in Japan, and the situation is a little different in the overseas markets but, at first, we thought that time would solve the issues for the Wii just as it had done for the Nintendo DS, but this was not the case. As a result, the software publishers put some effort into creating some titles, but the sales did not reach their expectations on the Wii, which made them think that they could not have high expectations for business on the Wii. At that time, a title called "Monster Hunter Portable" was selling well on Sony's handheld gaming device, PlayStation Portable. Only one title changed the whole momentum of that hardware, and because this all happened at the same time, the software publishers who were considering developing software for the Wii changed their minds and decided to make it for the PlayStation Portable. Because of this, when Nintendo failed to seamlessly provide software, there were no other titles to fill up the gaps.

In that sense, and this is common to both the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U, we think that it is important to encourage the software publishers to think "This is a platform on which we can perform our business" in the very first stage of the platform. We think it very important to make several hits from the third-party software publishers within the first year from the release of the platform, while offering Nintendo software seamlessly. In order to achieve this goal, we have shared information about the new hardware with the software publishers earlier than we did previously and built a cooperative structure, and we are developing several titles in collaboration with these publishers. I cannot talk in detail about the names of the titles, or with which publishers we are currently collaborating, because we have not announced this information yet, but what we are aiming for with the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U is, platforms which have much more software and a wider variety of software than the former Nintendo DS or Wii. Therefore, we are thinking of creating an environment where software from other companies will become hits. Please understand that Nintendo is prepared to invest in order to make this a reality.

I'm not sure if this GameInformer video has been posted or not:

“…You can tell the way the software is organized, the way the APRs are writen, that very shortly, it will become a pretty easy platform to develop for. Personally, I don’t really get into the what’s easier and that, but definitely from a pure programmer point of view, it’s definitely a lot easier than say the PS3 was. It’s probably on par with like the 360 as far as just ease of APIs, simplicity of how you interact with the hardware, and that sort of thing.”

They speak of Wii U version "parity" to the other versions again as well.

Definitely just more hints it doesnt appear to be anything as massively beefy as a 4850 would be.

Is it really a shock that Nintendo doesn't have the know how to build a cohesive online infrastructure? The companies that are able to do online well have their roots in software. MS, Google, Apple, Netflix, Amazon, etc...

Well I admit that when Nintendo said before E3 that they were going after the hardcore and going to take online seriously, I stupidly believed them. My mistake there. True there was no way Nintendo on their own could catch up to XBLive, but I had assumed that they were going to partner with someone to help them out. So much for that. No biggie for me, just means one less machine to buy.

(1) They didn't say they won't offer their own online system. They simply said they are going to do it slowly and at the same time welcome third party participation.

That alone completely kills it for me. That's not how you run a proper online service in modern times, you only do that if you:

1) are incapable of creating a unified online system yourself
2) are unwiling to create a unified online system yourself
3) are incapable or unwilling to partner with someone to create a unified online system

Not sure which one it is, but either way they have decided to opt out and let the devs sort it out. That will lead to multiple accounts, multiple experiences, and multiple ui's with multiple sets of rules. No thanks, they can keep it.

Personally now I've written off Nintendo and I'm waiting for Google to inevitably throw their hat into the ring. I suspect in 5 to 10 years it will be software based companies as Robert mentioned, like MS, Apple, Google, etc that will have taken over the console space. In the future I just don't think there will be anymore room for weak software platforms.

New tech comments from gearbox via IGN

http://wii.ign.com/articles/118/1180954p1.html

Gearbox Founder Labels Wii U a 'Stop-Gap' Console
But still thinks Nintendo's new hardware is 'fantastic'.
During a recent interview with IGN AU, Gearbox Software co-founder and chief creative officer Brian Martel weighed in with his thoughts on Nintendo's next hardware offering.

"Right now we're still finding out what kind of final tech specs the Wii U is going to have," said Martel.

"But we like the system a lot; we think it's going to be a really cool stop-gap in between this generation and the next generation. We think it's really smart of Nintendo, and the fact that as a platform it's a lot more capable for hardcore first-person shooter-style gaming – for us that's fantastic."

"We've got the [Aliens: Colonial Marines] engine running on the Wii U, and as far as the console goes, you're going to see textures at a resolution that you haven't seen on [the current] generation," said Martel.

So, 768MB or 1GB RAM as I expected.

How on earth do you assume the console has "768MB or 1GB RAM" from a comment claiming it'll have higher resolution textures?

The console could have a lot more than that, for all you know.

Or nothing at all and just a new compression algorithm to textures:devilish:.

(I also think it will be more Ram and hopeful a new compression algorithm to textures).

Still, like I said, it seems the only thing they can really predict is textures and Ram, for now, it should be quite unfamiliar HW I guess...

Or nothing at all and just a new compression algorithm to textures:devilish:.

(I also think it will be more Ram and hopeful a new compression algorithm to textures).

Still, like I said, it seems the only thing they can really predict is textures and Ram, for now, it should be quite unfamiliar HW I guess...

Wait, I thought diminishing returns and non-importance of graphics is in effect. Therefore RAM and texture algorithms things are unimportant and you should not be wishing for them? :devilish:

How on earth do you assume the console has "768MB or 1GB RAM" from a comment claiming it'll have higher resolution textures?

I've predicted those numbers for a while now. You think it will have significantly more? 1.5GB would make it more of a half gen step than I'm expecting...

You think it will have significantly more? 1.5GB would make it more of a half gen step than I'm expecting...

Half-gen step is exactly what the Gearbox guy said it would be:
(...) we think it's going to be a really cool stop-gap in between this generation and the next generation.

In a vendor specific unified online system, how do you interact with those who play the same games but on different platforms?

They speak of Wii U version "parity" to the other versions again as well.

Definitely just more hints it doesnt appear to be anything as massively beefy as a 4850 would be.

That tells us nothing about the graphics hardware inside Wii U. They're talking about porting a game using all 360 assets in only 5 weeks and with only 3 staff, of course its going to look the same at that stage, even if the GPU was 4850 level. Hopefully they'll spend the time before release reworking some assets and optimising things to take advantage of the better hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Martel went on to talk about how the Wii U hardware and controller could potentially benefit Gearbox's upcoming Aliens: Colonial Marines.

"We've got the [Aliens: Colonial Marines] engine running on the Wii U, and as far as the console goes, you're going to see textures at a resolution that you haven't seen on [the current] generation," said Martel.

I still guess 1 to 1.5 MB RAM also.

Wait, I thought diminishing returns and non-importance of graphics is in effect. Therefore RAM and texture algorithms things are unimportant and you should not be wishing for them? :devilish:

AI, physics, web browsing, multitasking eat up memory too !

In a vendor specific unified online system, how do you interact with those who play the same games but on different platforms?

You can introduce the concept of a domain. e.g., patsu@psn vs patsu123@apple vs patsu456@google

Eitherway, whether you start from a unified online system or heterogeneous one, I think we will move towards a heterogeneous world. In the mean time, the vendors will try to differentiate in their own ways. I reckon WiiU will bang more on the pad to enrich community and social experiences.

EDIT: I think it's more strategic for Nintendo to have strong partners at this point in time. If the 3rd parties can deliver first class online environment, it would benefit the rest of the industry too (like having a more comprehensive environment on iOS, PC web, PC MMO, Android, and PSN !).

Nintendo Says Netflix Viewing on Wii U Controller is "Theoretically" Possible:
http://kotaku.com/5818841/nintendo-...on-wii-u-controller-is-theoretically-possible

In an interview, Forbes' David M. Ewalt asked Fils-Aime whether it was possible to watch streaming video on the controller. "The messaging comes right from the console. So the programming would need to originate off the console," Fils-Aime said. Pressed on the point, Ewalt asked Fils-Aime if it was possible to watch Netflix-streamed content with the controller.

"Theoretically, that's possible," Fils-Aime said. Now, this does not make the Wii U controller into a go-anywhere device independent of the system. Whatever content it's showing, "It's got to be powered through the console," Fils-Aime said.

I am here, arent I:devilish::LOL:?

Anyway that inst what I said, I said that beyond what we see in current gen games, gfx are secondary so it they should only invest in gfx if it is a relative low cost. Although I didnt mind a upgrade in AI and a smal one in physics (to crysis 1 level as standard :LOL:)...

Still I rather see investment in content or game mechanics and the such...

According to the Darksiders developers it takes 3 lines of code to get what's on the TV screen to go to the controller. Just depends whether or not Netflix can be bothered to do that :D

Nintendo Says Netflix Viewing on Wii U Controller is "Theoretically" Possible:
http://kotaku.com/5818841/nintendo-...on-wii-u-controller-is-theoretically-possible

Great, now I can look forward to watching movies while sitting on the toilet...:p

Sounds like a solution looking for a problem...

One must be really desparate to be watching movies on a little portable screen in the home. That's kinda like buying a portable DVD player to watch movies around the house...:???:

Anyway my guess is the hardware inside the console won't be much more powerful than PS360 if at all. Many of the comments from developers sounds like hype. For example the one about higher resolution textures...that could mean anything. Question is does it come at the expense of something else? Like lower polygon counts, no AA etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
That tells us nothing about the graphics hardware inside Wii U. They're talking about porting a game using all 360 assets in only 5 weeks and with only 3 staff, of course its going to look the same at that stage, even if the GPU was 4850 level. Hopefully they'll spend the time before release reworking some assets and optimising things to take advantage of the better hardware.

How do we know it's better hardware? We dont know that.

Sounds like a solution looking for a problem...

One must be really desparate to be watching movies on a little portable screen in the home. That's kinda like buying a portable DVD player to watch movies around the house...:???:

At the risk of sounding overly crass, there is a specific one handed pass-time that seems well suited for that solution despite being well outside of Nintendo's traditional market demographic (i.e. children and more recently the elderly).

=)

Teasy said:
According to the Darksiders developers it takes 3 lines of code to get what's on the TV screen to go to the controller. Just depends whether or not Netflix can be bothered to do that

At what cost though? Custom soundtracks are still rare on the PS3 presumably due to RAM and processor utilization concerns - those 3 lines could equate to a lot of lost resources.

Cheers

Back