Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

I get this feeling that there are going to be some heat issues. That casing seems to small to allow proper cooling and air circulation.

It depends on what's inside. I really doubt Nintendo will release a console that's a heat or power-hog.

Also thought this was interesting, not sure how accurate the Wii U dimensions are

That is interesting, where did you get those from? After comparing a Wii directly to the WiiU (using the DVD slot as a point of reference and overlaying a Wii pic) the height comparison doesn't seem to match those dimensions. The WiiU looks at least 50% taller, the width looks about right though.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is interesting, where did you get those from? After comparing a Wii directly to the WiiU (using the DVD slot as a point of reference and overlaying a Wii pic) the height comparison doesn't seem to match those dimensions. The WiiU looks at least 50% taller, the width looks about right though.

http://e3src.nintendo.com/hw/#/about
Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.

um... Radeon HD begins with 29xx, the series introduced right after 360. Xenos was the first gen unified shader part anyway, so there'd be no reason to refer to it with Radeon HD.

Y'all controller haters are missing the point. The system is compatible with all the wii controllers. So if you don't want to stream games or play poker, you can just use your retro gba style controllers (or whatever new S-controller knockoffs they make eith the ZL and ZR buttons). Or the imo ergonomically superior nunchuck setup... this is everything we could have asked for. Pushing the envelope, backwards compat and flexible. Lets just hope big N can avoid the overheat curse of consoles with PC componentry. That's a tiny looking box to keep a recent ati card in.

Y'all controller haters are missing the point. The system is compatible with all the wii controllers. So if you don't want to stream games or play poker, you can just use your retro gba style controllers (or whatever new S-controller knockoffs they make eith the ZL and ZR buttons). Or the imo ergonomically superior nunchuck setup... this is everything we could have asked for. Pushing the envelope, backwards compat and flexible. Lets just hope big N can avoid the overheat curse of consoles with PC componentry. That's a tiny looking box to keep a recent ati card in.

So your expected use for most standard games is to use something else? If that's the case wouldn't it make more sense for this thing to be the addon instead of the default?

He's implying that if using the new screen controller does not make sense, the developers can always fallback to the existing Wiimote, classical controller and Wii balance board. If the screen controller makes sense for the application, then by all means !

Since it is included by default, developers will try to invent new experiences using the screen controller.

He's implying that if using the new screen controller does not make sense, the developers can always fallback to the existing Wiimote, classical controller and Wii balance board. If the screen controller makes sense for the application, then by all means !

While it may sound good, it doesn't work in reality unless they ship with the wiimote as well.

Since it is included by default, developers will try to invent new experiences using the screen controller.

Will they? Or will they just wait for nintendo to do it like this gen.

While it may sound good, it doesn't work in reality unless they ship with the wiimote as well.

If people buy a game console with 2 controllers, the other one should be a Wiimote.

Will they? Or will they just wait for nintendo to do it like this gen.

Why not ? I play iPad games. And DS is proven. Touch screen is actually pretty good for a lot of games.

I don't doubt they will want to sell these, and will push them hard as something which is unavailable with any other system. I predict some big FFCC game which requires these for MP and many SP rpgs will take advantage of knowing everyone has one. But most devs will know, to reach the broadest market, your beatemups, for example, should allow any controller with the right nunber of buttons. Mario Party is a great example of a game which should be playable with waggle sticks alone, but, since it's a nintendo first party game, we'll have to wait and hope...

Last edited by a moderator:
If people buy a game console with 2 controllers, the other one should be a Wiimote.

So you're throwing out family gaming or just pushing the price way up? Or do only some people get access to the new features?

Why not ? I play iPad games. And DS is proven. Touch screen is actually pretty good for a lot of games.

There's no comparison to ipad gaming. Looking at one screen while controlling on another is a completely different thing. Even on the DS the focus is completely different than it will be here. We'll see how it works out, but I think this is a giant step away from what made the Wii successful.

So you're throwing out family gaming or just pushing the price way up? Or do only some people get access to the new features?

There's no comparison to ipad gaming. Looking at one screen while controlling on another is a completely different thing. Even on the DS the focus is completely different than it will be here. We'll see how it works out, but I think this is a giant step away from what made the Wii successful.

:) More than one people can play on a 6" screen controller (even though it is a single touch pad):

Similar interface (compared to DS and iPad) can be used here.

Adding one more Wiimote is not that expensive. Nintendo sold 65.3 millions of them in US alone. ^_^
They can be reused.

Nintendo want to address the hardcore crowd at the same time bring their existing base forward. We'll see how good they are.

Would like to see a user "transfer" a hardcore game to the screen controller to resume when parents/wife/kids want to use the TV.

Then you did see the 2 player Othello game on the screen controller ?

For a family game on iPad (e.g., Scrabble, Monopoly), it's played by passing the pad between people. For other family games, we can solve puzzles together (e.g, Wheel of Fortune). Or one can give puzzle to the other (e.g., Hangman).

With Wiimotes, the games will be similar to existing Wii titles, but enhanced by the screen controller.

EDIT:
By primary display, I mean the tv, I do not mean 2 ppl playing reversi on the controller.

It doesn't matter. The screen controller can do family games. The Wiimote, balance board, and the screen controller can work together for other experiences.

Back