Firmware 3.6 is up

:devilish: So there I am on Messenger, agreeing to play Dead Nations with a friend. 8:30 start we say. "Oh," says I, remembering this patch, "we'll need to update. I'll go on now (8:15) to do that." So I cunnigingly sets that downloading and carry on on the PC so there'll be no waiting about. Time whizzes by and it's near 8:45 when I say I'm switching off the laptop and over to the PS3 to play games. End of work - Woohoooo!

15% downloaded.

Clearly everyone wanting to play games this evening is instead downloading a patch. And what do I get for this 2 hour delay to give me FW 3.60? Squat!

I appreciate the need for the security patch, but Sony give next to nothing back. It's not like, okay, I've missed out an evening of entertainment but at least I get <insert valued feature here>. It's just an annoyance that gets in the way of our relaxation time. I'm not amused.

:devilish:

(also downloading from the website to install via USB isn't much faster)

It took me 10 minutes to download and install.

Maybe it's just Tiscali being a bit crap? They used to be excelent, but a few times now I've hit 2 megabit limits. Apologies to Sony!

Maybe it's just Tiscali being a bit crap? They used to be excelent, but a few times now I've hit 2 megabit limits. Apologies to Sony!

Or possibly the servers you're connecting to... I wonder if PSN use akamai or some other distributed net cache service for their service?

Yap, they do. Same CDN provider(s) as XBL according to the vendor's press release (Name escapes me right now). I believe MS also have their own CDN edge servers. In any case, it's hard to say where the problem lies without looking at the actual route info.

I think the other way is to download the patch from Sony website. Save to a thumbdrive and apply it locally. I reckon if fewer people hit the download link, you may have better performance/luck.

I think the other way is to download the patch from Sony website. Save to a thumbdrive and apply it locally. I reckon if fewer people hit the download link, you may have better performance/luck.
Tried that na dit was slow, and speedtest showed all of 1 MBps, hence I think it was tiscali's fault (also speedtest placed me in Bristol rather than Surrey).

Tiscali fail...

Get yourself onto Virgin or BT Infinity!
Can't. No fibre round this part of Surrey. Of all the phone line providers Tiscali have been the best and have been very good to be fair. I've often got high speeds, and was pleased with Tiscali when I contributed to TheGadgetShow's net speed campaign. that's why I mistakenly assumed it was a fault with Sony rather than my ISP. Currently at 3.5 MBps. May be a temporary glitch or something, hence me being routed to Gloucester for that last test.

A tip of the hat to the PS Plus auto patch download feature. 3.6 was already downloaded and ready to install by the time I booted up my PS3. An optional auto-install firmware feature (opt-in, of course) would be nice (with an additional "Don't Brick PS3" check-box available, if possible).

Can't. No fibre round this part of Surrey. Of all the phone line providers Tiscali have been the best and have been very good to be fair. I've often got high speeds, and was pleased with Tiscali when I contributed to TheGadgetShow's net speed campaign. that's why I mistakenly assumed it was a fault with Sony rather than my ISP. Currently at 3.5 MBps. May be a temporary glitch or something, hence me being routed to Gloucester for that last test.

Tis a shame. I always found it weird reading about how slow the internet is in the UK. I've had 50Mb for the better part of a year and before that I had 20Mb. Virgin rocks I suppose.

Just tested - nearly 7 MBps on an 8 megabit connection, far more what I'm used to. I'm wondering if the local exchange is just getting saturated? That's a major issue ignored by satitsics in digital distribution - what people actually get.

Still, that's another topic, one I frequently complain about whenever it arises. ;)

And so is 3.7

Apparently it does add some functionality, my GT5 can now save games directly in the "cloud" space (thanks to my PS+)

Not really storing to the cloud though currently yet - just auto-uploading at a scheduled time, say between 4-6AM, much like the auto-updates and other stuff. You cannot configure that for more than one PS3, it sort of defeats the purpose for me a little. It becomes more interesting for me if it tells you that your most recent game-save is in the cloud. ;) But at the very least it is a good backup system. It will also synchronise your trophies at that point, which is a nice bonus - now I don't have to worry about that one anymore (at least not on one PS3 ;) ).

There is some more stuff in this update, some changes to the TV section for instance, and in some countries the web-app things have been replaced with more efficient standalone apps (or a more efficient HTML / Flash wrapper/container ;) ).

Also, there is 3D screenshot support, and 3D BluRay playback has been improved a fair bit, with the HD streams now back during 3D playback and such.

I assume that if I have a sub-account on my PS3, it won't be served by the cloud save feature of my primary account's PS+ membership?

Sony claim cross-game chat is impossible on PS3. Which ruins both hopes and some entertainments. Just the other day I was playing Warhawk. Would be nice to have private smack-talk conversations with my friends, especially as WH's chat is and always has been a diabolical mess.

And considering Sony have been releasing OS RAM over the years, it's &*(£$@# stupid of them if they now don't have enough to implement a valued feature. TBH I don't think they are really trying, and are just finding themselves an excuse.

Sony claim cross-game chat is impossible on PS3. Which ruins both hopes and some entertainments. Just the other day I was playing Warhawk. Would be nice to have private smack-talk conversations with my friends, especially as WH's chat is and always has been a diabolical mess.

And considering Sony have been releasing OS RAM over the years, it's &*(£$@# stupid of them if they now don't have enough to implement a valued feature. TBH I don't think they are really trying, and are just finding themselves an excuse.

Eh I have substained a lot of times the OS of the ps3 sucks compared to 360 IMHO, more RAM use with less 'concrete' features. I don't know if depend of the lack of the EDRAM (can help to save RAM in a platform OS?); otherwise, it's pretty ridicolous the waste of resources in the XMB. I don't understood why sony is unable to find smart people to work on that, considering so many years, even out of the company. Probably the source code is so rigid that not allow so much more optimizations.

I think in their ears the voices of multi-platform developers complaining about lack of RAM vs the 360 rang just that little louder.

Back