Firmware 3.6 is up

Yeah I think you have to wait 24 hours after uploading protected saves to the cloud. You can download your regular game saves freely.

I wonder if this will affect NGP's "resume game" later.

It's unfortunate that this does not seem to be automatically syncing saves like we traditionally expect cloud saving to involve, but it's better than nothing. Online saves are something I think MS should have been offering on Xbox Live Gold going back to the Xbox 1 era.

Damn $#*&%$*( right !

I think they only want me to use it sparingly so that they don't incur too much cost. XD

"Cloud saving" is misleading. It's just network storage. A useful addition, an actual update for gamers, but only to get PS+ subscriptions. And added the lack of content, I dare say this is a feature wrapped in a load of security stuff, only Sony felt they'd better add one feature to appease their gamers.

FW updates used to be exciting.

Yes, I was just going to quote Patsu from the PS3 cracking thread. As expected, network saving is just a sweetener on the medicine, and this isn't a 'real' FW update designed to improve our console experience. New browser, voice chat, blah blah blah not happening.

Do we know what happens to the saves if your PSN+ subscription lapses?

As for the security updates its something of a necessary evil. Atleast this update looks like it may end some of the cat and mouse game which can only be a good thing for us gamers. Id say its probably a more important update for gamers than cross game chat if it puts a stop to possible cheating on PSN.

Does seem like any new major features in future are going to be for PSN+, which is fair enough i think. I have to believe the must be working on features, so they can get more people across to PSN+, maybe they are running into a lot of technical or patent issues i cant see that they are just not interested in implementing them. Steam may help with this especially on gaining access to relevant patents if that is indeed a barrier so wey may see a steady stream of new features once that is in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your saves aren't guaranteed to be there if you let your subscription lapse. After some months they will delete your saves.

The only way to guarantee the integrity of your files is to keep the subscription going.

I just tested it and copied some of my saves there manually. It's a very nice feature. In the strictest sense, this is 'cloud storage', but obviously we've seen a better implementation. From the comments on the blog I'm getting the impression that we'll see some form of auto-synching to become available in the future though, as well as a 'copy all' option. So let's assume this is the start of a good new thing, as Sony makes its next steps in building out their paid-for-services through PSPlus. ;)

Just copied all my 39 Blu-ray games' saves and some 30 PSN games' saves to the cloud.
That was a lot of work! A copy all option would be most welcome, or preferably an option where you'd be able to tick all the saves you'd like to transfer. An auto sync feature would be good too.
I was left with about 30 megs free space after I copied all my game saves, I copied only the latest save for most games.
Also tried if it would let me copy PS2 game save, it wouldn't.
At least now I'm more safe when I update my HDD next time, or if my PS3 breaks.

Edit: Where is my Little Big Planet 2 save!!?!?!? It's not in the saves folder, even though when I play the game, it's loading the last state just fine.
But the save game file is nowhere to be found???

I read in GAF that LBP2 saves your games in the games data folder, not the game saves folder. You can copy stuff from the data folder to the cloud too.

Anyone tried copying personal media to the cloud yet ?

I read in GAF that LBP2 saves your games in the games data folder, not the game saves folder. You can copy stuff from the data folder to the cloud too.

I was wondering where LBP2 was hanging out, thanks.

I think GAF folks said you can make LBP2 save to the game saves folder explicitly too. Ask TTP. He's the first one who posted the question. Someone else replied.

No you can't copy game data, at least for me there is only options delete and information, no copy :???:

You need to back up your LBP2 profile to XMB game saves folder from within the game settings. That did the trick.

You can export LBP2 levels to Save Game files for copying. Everything else is Game Data, hence the need for backing up levels to game files.

:devilish: So there I am on Messenger, agreeing to play Dead Nations with a friend. 8:30 start we say. "Oh," says I, remembering this patch, "we'll need to update. I'll go on now (8:15) to do that." So I cunnigingly sets that downloading and carry on on the PC so there'll be no waiting about. Time whizzes by and it's near 8:45 when I say I'm switching off the laptop and over to the PS3 to play games. End of work - Woohoooo!

15% downloaded.

Clearly everyone wanting to play games this evening is instead downloading a patch. And what do I get for this 2 hour delay to give me FW 3.60? Squat!

I appreciate the need for the security patch, but Sony give next to nothing back. It's not like, okay, I've missed out an evening of entertainment but at least I get <insert valued feature here>. It's just an annoyance that gets in the way of our relaxation time. I'm not amused.

:devilish:

(also downloading from the website to install via USB isn't much faster)

I see Sony is trying to add some things here and there to PS Plus, however there's still some things I wished they added to make it a more flexible/friendly service.

-Allowing you to download 2 or 3 games from the 'free games' selection for 25 to 50 percent off after your service expires as a way of enticing people to renew again and selling previous games if PS Plus members opt-out. I get that it's current way of doing the expiration process to trap you into paying might work for a number of people who're already paying for it, but making it enticing to newer casual consumers to pay for the service could expand PS Plus' member base significantly.

-The new cloud saving space is nice, but the storage limit is small. Making it 500mb would be fair for people with larger growing PS3 game collection. As other people have said, giving a 'Copy All' option would be appreciated. Sony might just expand on this in the future none of this set in stone.

-Continuing adding new features to PS Plus is obviously gonna help justify it's cost even further, but I hope Sony treads lightly. Add certain features that are truly complementary, not simple firmware features that hidden behind a exclusive curtain. Certain game demos and price cuts is fine, but continuing to separate/differentiate it's service from what MS does is definitely the way to go.

Back