Kinect price confirmed 150USD plus arcade model priced

They were good ads, and the interest was there! Sony royally screwed up.

If Move sells 2 million within 6 months in Europe, would you call that a failure or a success?

Compare this also to the 400.000 units it sold in the U.S. in that same time. Again, failure or success?

Lifetime sales were above 10 million I believe, most of which in Europe. So they made good on the ads.

I think it's harsh to say it was a failure. Harrisson embraced Marks' idea pretty ambitiously and in Europe exceeded expectations by a huge margin. I think SCEA and SCEJ screwed up, especially also in the way they did not pick up on other initiatives back then like Singstar or Buzz.

So yes, Sony screwed up. But the EyeToy was a success regardless. A very successful peripheral that made Sony a lot of money. Sure it could have been more, but I don't know how much more considering the limitations of just the webcam.

Sorry, by screwed up I ment this gen, failing to take Eyetoy beyond its original appeal. It could have been at the forefront of this sudden movement gaming push, only 5 years earlier.

Sorry, by screwed up I ment this gen, failing to take Eyetoy beyond its original appeal. It could have been at the forefront of this sudden movement gaming push, only 5 years earlier.

Yep, definitely, they misjudged that one (and a few other things). Thankfully at least they kept Marks on the payroll! I think Move looks very, very good, in a lot of ways.

Anyway, back to Kinect, and seeing if Microsoft also learnt a thing or two from EyeToy. ;)

MS have at least realised they need market exposure, hence the roadshows. These devices can only really be sold on experience, and Sony never provided shoppers the chance to experience EyeToy that way. MS are actually reaching out to the wider populace. Although it seems only in the States. Could be we have an Eyetoy in reverse, much bigger in America than Europe mostly because it wasn't supported well in the 'other' region. The much bigger price differential between Move and Kinect in Europe versus NA highlights this, as if MS aren't chasing the European market very strongly.

Much the same as getting Xbox LIVE Gold subscriptions for less than $50/yr you can get Kinect at less than the MSRP (amazing how many people miss the S in the acronym ;))

http://twitter.com/MichaelXE/status/19239744295

There you go, Kinect for $89, when the complaints have largely been "it should have been $99 because it's a definite buy then". I predict the goalpost now moves to "but it/they should" in 3...2... :)

Excellent find. Just tried it, doesn't work. :cry: That code is for "SAVE 40% on ALL video game accessories!" They either don't count it as an accessory, it doesn't apply to pre-orders, or there is a special exclusion for Kinect.

EDIT

Direct link and info:

Toys R Us Kinect Page

Promo Code: 939418

Much the same as getting Xbox LIVE Gold subscriptions for less than $50/yr you can get Kinect at less than the MSRP (amazing how many people miss the S ;))
We can only ever compare MSRPs as that gives ballpark figures. There'll always be specials, but you can't base decisions on the appearing or make arguments. eg. I can't claim move costs only £50 for the bundle on the assumption sooner or later you'll be able to get it for that off eBay. ;)

Excellent find. Just tried it, doesn't work. :cry: That code is for "SAVE 40% on ALL video game accessories!" They either don't count it as an accessory, it doesn't apply to pre-orders, or there is a special exclusion for Kinect.

EDIT

Direct link and info:

Toys R Us Kinect Page

Promo Code: 939418

It doesn't apply to the Move or the Move bundle either, but it does apply to the Eye Toy so if you want to pick one of those up for 23.99 then you can do that.

Regards,
Squilliam
Regards,
SB

I see what you did there. :p

Too braindead from my 20+ hour journey from Japan back to my apartment yesterday so I'll just say this...

I think both Kinect and Move have a lot of potential to do well if supported by their respective companies. Only path to success will be different for each, IMO.

Where MS are seeking to primarily expand the demographics they appeal to thus broadening their base, Sony are seeking to leverage the existing base.

1 year from now, it's quite likely that MS will be in the process of attempting to draw in more users from the current base while Sony attempts to deviate from the established base to expand their base.

If that doesn't make any sense, blame the mush that I have for brains right now. :p

Regards,
SB

I see what you did there. :p

Well im glad someone did!

Too braindead from my 20+ hour journey from Japan back to my apartment yesterday so I'll just say this...

I think both Kinect and Move have a lot of potential to do well if supported by their respective companies.

Just so long as you don't say untapped potential, im fine with that! But jokes aside they are both looking like good controllers. My hesitation comes from the fact that being better doesn't mean it'll match the success or even half the success of the Wiimote. Because the Wii is hardly much of a contestant against the 360 and PS3 in terms of performance, so it seems theres more to it than having the best gun.

Only path to success will be different for each, IMO.

I see you're still channelling ancient Japanese wisdom! :p

Where MS are seeking to primarily expand the demographics they appeal to thus broadening their base, Sony are seeking to leverage the existing base.

1 year from now, it's quite likely that MS will be in the process of attempting to draw in more users from the current base while Sony attempts to deviate from the established base to expand their base.

If that doesn't make any sense, blame the mush that I have for brains right now. :p

Regards,
Squilliam

Makes sense and I pretty much follow the same logic you do here. Although I suspect watching Andromeda has inspired me to talk to myself.

Regards,
Squilliam

At 150 bucks it's gonna be the next 32X.

I don't know. What if it is only a really good personal fitness training system? That by itself could sell quite a bit. If I'm looking at the EA Active software version for 360, that looks markedly superior to the other versions. Wii Fit already suggests that there is quite the market for it, and the 360 could be the next stairmaster or whatever.

I have huge reservations about the technology for games and right now have a tonne more faith in Move, but the Arcade/Kinect bundle has a lot of potential still imho in new markets. $299 for a personal trainer system may already be a valid price point. I don't blame Microsoft for testing this price point first. It's always easier to go down than up, and they have quite a bit of R&D, marketing and licencing costs to cover.

The price of one fully fleshed Move is $130 though. Not much different from Kinect for one player. Once you scale to more than one player, the comparison favors kinect.

Just like he said, that the old charts favored PS3, when Wi-Fi, Live subscription, a controller recharger, HD player, and whatnot were added to the 360's cost.

I'm intrigued by this Wii upgrade appeal talk. We can only go by anecotal evidence really but I know for a fact that my wife will drop Wii Fit in a nanosecond in order to move on to the Ubisoft fitness game as soon as she sees it.

Similarly, having played Kinect Adventures I know that it's going to get exactly the same response as Wii Sports did when that turned up in the living room - the kids are going to want to show it off to their friends.

All of the core gamer concerns about Kinect have absolutely no relevance to this market. They won't care if it doesn't work with Halo, they won't care about 150-200ms latency. I had very little (ie no) interest in the Wii - that didn't stop it being an enormous success.

Microsoft will be unveiling Kinect on my Uni (along with a major retail chain); This is probably well known from elsewhere but on all their communications to us about it they only talk about "our new console". They never refer to it as an upgrade, so much so that at first I thought they were talking about the Slim. I thought they were pursuing that for the casuals but they're pushing that line with everyone.

With a 150 [strike]dollar[/strike] euro price point they're going to tick off a lot a people that mistakenly believe that's the whole "new" console.

I had very little (ie no) interest in the Wii - that didn't stop it being an enormous success.

This doesn't mean it's cause and effect; part of the argument I see for Kinect is 'derp derp, it'll do the opposite of what we, the hardcore, say'. It's more accurate to say that we don't know what the hell we're talking about when predicting extended market sales (I'd personally extend it to us not knowing what the hell we're talking about game sales, period).

It is rumored that Sony is planning to hire assistants that will be answering questions and demoing Move all across stores from launch till the new year. It could be a good strategy, with people being able to immediately buy the stuff if they like it. It will be interesting to see how the different marketing approaches end up working (if, that is, Microsoft doesn't do the same).

Much the same as getting Xbox LIVE Gold subscriptions for less than $50/yr you can get Kinect at less than the MSRP (amazing how many people miss the S ;))

http://twitter.com/MichaelXE/status/19239744295

There you go, Kinect for $89, when the complaints have largely been "it should have been $99 because it's a definite buy then". I predict the goalpost now moves to "but it/they should" in 3...2... :)

So how did that deal work out for you when TRU cancelled all the preorders at that erroneous price?

Back