Kinect price confirmed 150USD plus arcade model priced

What I wonder though is what effect these bundle prices will have on MS/SONY next console. IMO 300-400 is basically the launch prices of new consoles and although "core" gamers have had their system of choice for 4-5 years already and will most likely get the next iteration, what worries me is the demographic that MS(SONY too in a way) is targeting wont be so willing to dole out another 300+ on the next console in such a short time (if we're to assume 2012-2013 time frame) leaving the door wide open once again for a Wii2/HD

IF we go to holiday 2012 for xbox next. That gives you two years of the kinect being on the market. I highly doubt the 360 will be priced at what it is now and as you had the core gamers will be ready ot upgrade. Even though I have the xbox 360 slim now , I will still buy the xbox next on launch day. I"ve been on the 360 since 2005 and its time for an upgrade , 2012 will be long over due.

'Fully fleshed' is irrelevant. Move Controller + Camera is the basic system. I would sooner argue that to match Kinect, you need two Move controllers, to get a more equivalent experience in the titles that are available on both systems. This would also give an entry into the multi-player area.

The fact remains that a single Move controller + PS Eye is enough for a lot of stuff (anything with tennis, bowling, golf, etc.), so the cost of entry is simply lower. There's no denying that for some experiences, particularly two player, Kinect is more cost-effective. But then there are currently an enormous range of experiences that are either not possible with Kinect, or are superior on Move with just one controller, so I would say that more than evens out, although of course it depends on your personal preference as well.

I would argue that with the move cost of entry is $100. Because the game that comes in the bundle requires to wands for certian things like bow and arrow. So you can't even get the full move experiance for a single player with the packed in game with the $100 move bundle.

I would argue that with the move cost of entry is $100. Because the game that comes in the bundle requires to wands for certian things like bow and arrow. So you can't even get the full move experiance for a single player with the packed in game with the $100 move bundle.

You are mistaken though - the game does not require two controllers for anything. Even the bow and arrow game you can do with one controller. Of course, that and the gladiator duel game are cooler with two Moves, and I believe I have seen that you can even play them two player simultaneously with two Move controllers each, but you can play them both with one controller as well.

IF we go to holiday 2012 for xbox next. That gives you two years of the kinect being on the market. I highly doubt the 360 will be priced at what it is now and as you had the core gamers will be ready ot upgrade. Even though I have the xbox 360 slim now , I will still buy the xbox next on launch day. I"ve been on the 360 since 2005 and its time for an upgrade , 2012 will be long over due.

Thats my whole point, sure the core gamers will jump to the next iteration of xbox, but will the casual crowd that just spent 300 on a NEW(to them) console be willing to do that again in only two more years? Think about it, the way the wii took off everybody wants a piece of that market(casual crowd) and i just don't see the non hardcore gamer rushing out to spend another 300 on the nextbox so soon. So if nintendo jumps out with wii2 at a lower price than nextbox then MS basically just lost the demographic they're after and have to play catch-up all over again.

Thats my whole point, sure the core gamers will jump to the next iteration of xbox, but will the casual crowd that just spent 300 on a NEW(to them) console be willing to do that again in only two more years? Think about it, the way the wii took off everybody wants a piece of that market(casual crowd) and i just don't see the non hardcore gamer rushing out to spend another 300 on the nextbox so soon. So if nintendo jumps out with wii2 at a lower price than nextbox then MS basically just lost the demographic they're after and have to play catch-up all over again.

but that is the point. Since when do casual gamers buy next gen system at launch day ? Many of them wait for years before they buy. There will be enough hardcore gamers to carry ms through the first year and enough people the year after and the year after that. its the same with sony.

Its hard to say what the wii2 will be capable of. If the wii2 is just an xbox 360/ps3 level hardware then why would consumers jump to that over teh 360/ps3 ? If nitnendo goes all out for the next en system and so do MS and Sony , what does nintendo have to intice hardcore gamers ?

You are mistaken though - the game does not require two controllers for anything. Even the bow and arrow game you can do with one controller. Of course, that and the gladiator duel game are cooler with two Moves, and I believe I have seen that you can even play them two player simultaneously with two Move controllers each, but you can play them both with one controller as well.

You have any video of a single move controller used for the bow and arrow game ?

but that is the point. Since when do casual gamers buy next gen system at launch day ? Many of them wait for years before they buy. There will be enough hardcore gamers to carry ms through the first year and enough people the year after and the year after that. its the same with sony.

Its hard to say what the wii2 will be capable of. If the wii2 is just an xbox 360/ps3 level hardware then why would consumers jump to that over teh 360/ps3 ? If nitnendo goes all out for the next en system and so do MS and Sony , what does nintendo have to intice hardcore gamers ?

ummmmm they bought up the wii like nobody's business. I agree w you 100% that the nextbox will be fine w just the hardcore gamers picking it up first, but please understand MS wants to try and replicate what the wii did at launch.

ummmmm they bought up the wii like nobody's business. I agree w you 100% that the nextbox will be fine w just the hardcore gamers picking it up first, but please understand MS wants to try and replicate what the wii did at launch.

were they there at launch ? I bought mine at launch , i don't remember the grandma craze for wii until after the original holiday season.

I agree this is what will likely happen. Though it does kind of rule them out of going a more casual route from the off next time, which they must atleast be contemplating.

I agree this is what will likely happen. Though it does kind of rule them out of going a more casual route from the off next time, which they must atleast be contemplating.

They could allways simply pack kinect into the next sku at launch or just start releasing kinect games on the next platform if kinect 1 does well enough. with that way why waste money packing in kinect if it sold through well with the core gamer the first time around.

Will be interesting to watch.

I'd love to see it and how it works. I don't understand why there is even a two wand option if it works with a single wand.

I'm assuming one of the two pressure / analog buttons (Trigger or Action button) will control how far you pull back the string and grabbing the arrow will happen automatically when you start pressing that button. The reason why the two wand option is there is because

a) they can, and it's cool. Also, these are exactly the Move demoes that they should at E3 09 as a tech demo, if you remember.
b) it's nice for people who get two Move controllers for multi-player, to be able to play it with a little more depth/immersion in single player.

I think Sony, and certainly Marks, believes that two Moves will be able to bring a lot of new experiences. If I were to bet on future controls and had to choose between two analog sticks, one analog stick and one Move controller, or two Move controllers, I'd gamble on two Move controllers.

Anyway, getting wildly off-topic again. Point was, yes, you can play everything with just one Move controller - at launch there will be just one title that only works with more than just one Move controller, which is The Fight, which requires two.

Anyway, are typical shoppers evaluating price-per-player functions of these systems, or just buying on gut responses? I expect the latter, in which case Move has a psychological edge (certainly in Europe with €90 for Move bundle+Navicon versus €150 Kinect, especially the UK at £75 vs. £130) even if in the long run people can spend more on PS3 peripherals.

On the flip side people looking at buying a console will have to favor the cheaper Kinect bundle, again if we're going by prices and not price breakdowns. Those looking for something to add to their current console will most likely favor Move if the novelty of hands-free doesn't appeal to them.

I don't think people will make too much distinction between Kinect and Wii motion controller...because to an average consumer, it's all the same.

And yet for the average consumer Kinect with no controller will seem like Magic. An absolute revolution in gaming. The average consumer isn't going to be concerned with whether it plays the same types of games or not. It has no controller... The novelty if nothing else is sure to be much higher on the hype scale than Wii's motion controller was. After all that's far easier to wrap your head around as an extension/evolution of standard controllers.

Although I can see how in Europe there may be more comparisons to Eye-Toy as that did relatively well there I believe...

Regards,
SB

How is Kinect competing with the Wii, and not the PS3?

It seems to me, that if anything, Kinect is doing its own thing while the Wii and Move are the ones that require waggle controllers in order to work.

And that is exactly the reason that people who own a Wii might buy Kinect. Because it offers a new experience. A controller-free experience, not just a simplified controller experience.

Also: Does anybody have a release date on Fable III? I have a hard time believing there will be any price drop prior to Fable III's release. Looking over the games list, that's the only one that would attract "hardcore" gamers.

Those looking for something to add to their current console will most likely favor Move if the novelty of hands-free doesn't appeal to them.

Regards,
Squilliam

Is that the right way to look at it? Its a complicated topic and all the simplifications are really missing the realities of the situation. Logically in this case it doesn't follow that appeal for one or the lack of appeal for one would change the appeal for the other. Beyond that its complicated further by the presence of alternative control schemes with both the PS3 and Xbox 360. Even if for instance Move appeals more than Kinect it may not sell as well if it doesn't add a significant enough improvement over and above the standard controller to justify a purchase.

Unfortunately only the sales figures if we get access to them will tell us how effective the respective console eco-systems are at appealing to the present unattached people. Overall console sales figures will imply nicely if the new motion control experiences are increasing overall demand for the respective consoles. Even NPD won't tell the complete story because it won't tell us whether for instance the 389k units of Socom 4 were played with Move or a DS3.

Regards,
SB

On the flip side people looking at buying a console will have to favor the cheaper Kinect bundle...
I agree, MS has the bundle price advantage, but then they always have had. ;)

And yet for the average consumer Kinect with no controller will seem like Magic...
The tech may be viewed as magical, but will they be willing to pay for magic if it doesn't offer anything substantially new in the experience department?

Although I can see how in Europe there may be more comparisons to Eye-Toy as that did relatively well there I believe...
I imagine EyeToy is fairly forgotten over here. It had its flash in the pan but nothing to sustain it, and it came and went like a fad. That was sold for its magical appeal, but it was only a £40 entry fee!

For me, £129 "feels" too expensive and will probably pull me back from picking it up (unless I get caught up in the "hype", as I occasionally do :()

£99 and it would have been a likely purchase, and at £79 or below and almost certain one.... if only just for controlling the UI ;)

I imagine EyeToy is fairly forgotten over here. It had its flash in the pan but nothing to sustain it, and it came and went like a fad. That was sold for its magical appeal, but it was only a £40 entry fee!

I expected that too, but now if I talk about Kinect or Move with anyone or I say PS Eye, everyone brings up the EyeToy. I blame the commercials with the granny swinging her purse around in front of a shopping window.

Back