Rage (id Software)

Straight in there with a bitchy comment!! Please don't ruin another thread by stomping around like some crytek endorsed emo.

No, just my comment considering the vastly different scopes these games have and design. Also maybe you should tone down the agressivity, leave that for...*checking*... PS3 threads?

Also again as I said to the so many other PS3/SONY fanatics/fans that loves to get personal for any critics, keep the personal OT insults/comments to PM, you do the same and what the heck is "emo". Is it an insult or what (so I dont report post with wrong assumption)?

Also interesting to you say I ruined another thread?

Third, maybe you should play previous DOOM games or look how they are designed? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bah Doom 3 wasn't ALL 8x20 feet corridors/sections. There were some outdoor areas that might have been 10x16 sections. ;)

Anyway, Rage still looks good IMO. Different from other top tier shooters sure, but different isn't always bad.

As to Doom 4, WAAAAY to early to speculate much. I'd like to see them reprise Doom I and II and ditch the gameplay from Doom 4. I want to relive things like entering a room with 20-30 imps or invisible pinkies all slavering at the mouth to eat me alive. :p Not the 1-3 enemies at a time that D3 usually had. :( I want to see HORDES of demons, not solitary goth emo individual anti-social demons. ;)

And definitely lose the flashlight OR gun mechanic. That was just horrible design.

Regards,
SB

Bah Doom 3 wasn't ALL 8x20 feet corridors/sections. There were some outdoor areas that might have been 10x16 sections. ;)

Yeah I am exaggerating but the designs and approaches for both games will certainly be wildly different.

Anyway, Rage still looks good IMO. Different from other top tier shooters sure, but different isn't always bad.

Yeah. It looks dirty, like such an environment would with rich texture variety. Thats does a lot.

And definitely lose the flashlight OR gun mechanic. That was just horrible design.

Regards,
SB

True.

I still like the look of this game. Hopefully it turns out well. I'm sure there will be drawbacks to megatexture, but I think the landscapes look fantastic.

Looks a bit weird at times, kind of cel-shaded. Still looks pretty good though, just not mind-blowing, a lot of the character details like clothing look really flat, if anything that's going to drag it down, it might very well be the gameplay, the FPS landscape has changed alot since Doom 3.

Seems like the gameplay will be just as different from Doom3 as most other shooters are, which isn't a lot. To be honest, the shooter landscape really hasn't changed all that much since Doom 3, with the exception of a few open world games. There are still plenty of corridor shooters with new makeup.

I really like the look of the landscapes. The enemies don't really stand out to me, but the backdrops do. They are incredibly detailed. I'm expecting things to not look the absolute best up close, but I think overall the impression is going to be very good. I hope the quality of the megatexture is consistently good, like in the vistas they chose to show in that vid. If they don't really take advantage of the hand-painted uniqueness, then it won't really hold up like it could.

The outdoor environments look pretty good, but it comes down to having good baked textures. I'm much less impressed with every other graphical element in this game. I think Brink on id Tech 4 looks better than Rage on id Tech 5. In Brink, skin doesn't look like plastic, and all the shadows aren't pitch black.

The game seems to be looking good that's for sure, and i love the kind of lucid solidity to the characters and artwork... it's difficult to describe but to me it's like a hallmark of ID art design, the characters always look like they're very full and solid, like i can reach into the screen and touch them... loool.

I'm looking forward to this game, even though i think they should have released this a LONG time ago. It seems to me like the game is improving every time we see it, but i'm just a bit concerned that it doesn't just end up as "another FPS #782727272". I guess the vehicles and stuff goes a way to persuade me that the game isn't just gonna be a bog standard regular shooter, so i hope that the game has a lot more to it than that.

Still it's looking good and i'm very excited to see more.

Seems like the gameplay will be just as different from Doom3 as most other shooters are, which isn't a lot. To be honest, the shooter landscape really hasn't changed all that much since Doom 3, with the exception of a few open world games. There are still plenty of corridor shooters with new makeup.

I really like the look of the landscapes. The enemies don't really stand out to me, but the backdrops do. They are incredibly detailed. I'm expecting things to not look the absolute best up close, but I think overall the impression is going to be very good. I hope the quality of the megatexture is consistently good, like in the vistas they chose to show in that vid. If they don't really take advantage of the hand-painted uniqueness, then it won't really hold up like it could.

They can combine the best of both worlds (FPS + huge landscape) by inventing creative/wild long range weapons and radars. The anime world has quite a few examples. I think it should take the FPS gameplay in new directions.

The only problem is walking in a large world. It always gets me there.

Woah, 7 days after R3. How 'bout you get me R3 first for my unbirthday ? ^_^

But but its a special 30th birthday for me . Your unbirthday does not compare !!!!!

Yea this holiday is going to be packed with shooters. I'm hoping tor is out by then and i save a few hundred bucks

The voice actor in the trailer sounds familiar, anyone know who he is? For some reason it brings me memories from Thief / Witcher.

Im not bothered with day/night cycles in games at all and am glad ID has taken a different approach that sacrifices some features to make the rest stand out. I mean given a 24 hour day, in most games you should only see a single day/night transition! Unless set on an alien planet ofcourse :LOL:

Back