[PS3] LittleBigPlanet 2

If they position SackBoy in a SackBot at the beginning of the level (e.g. in a Space Invader level), then I don't think the users will experience the old jump physics at all. To them, it would be a totally new control scheme throughout the whole level.
Uh, yes. This is one of my major points about LBP2, already mentioned a couple of times, that the range of titles means we aren't limited to those physics because we'll be playing different games entirely. ;)

I know gravity can be changed (LittleBigMod and all!) but the jump issues are something else, general erraticness of the physics engine when dealing with jumps. to be able to change that, you'd need to change SB's response to jumping from a moving platform, such as when jumping from a floating log. To have a uniform launch velocity instead of one affected by the platform motion would require a jump style setting in the physics engine, and AFAIK there's nothing like that. We might even see low-gravity levels aggravating the issues. If where typically perhaps you can jump a screen's height in a low gravity world, jumping from a floating log may result in you barely rising at all.

I still believe this is not an issue with the game, but the level creator. If you can't playtest your level enough to see that those sections don't work, don't do them. Nearly all of the media molecule levels in the first were near perfect in this regard, because they were designed well.

Nearly all of the media molecule levels in the first were near perfect in this regard, because they were designed well.
Then why did so many people I know playing the game get frustrated at their inability to make jumps? Including those who stopped playing the game because it was frustrating. I remember playing online with Arwin once, so if he remembers he can vouch for this - we were trying to clear the first cactus in the Mexican level, and all died horribly a few times, unable to even make that jump from the wobbly tower. that was just funny, but still illustrates how the jumping is erratic. And then there was the half-hour we spent trying to catapult up onto ledge in the Undead levels, where we'd get close some times, but it was very random and inconsistent and just needed lots of attempts. I don't see how something 'near perfect' can rub so many people up the wrong way!

I agree the creators are partly to blame for control issues. The original levels in LBP are not near perfect from user perspective. Some of them are unnecessarily hard to play.

Then why did so many people I know playing the game get frustrated at their inability to make jumps? Including those who stopped playing the game because it was frustrating. I remember playing online with Arwin once, so if he remembers he can vouch for this - we were trying to clear the first cactus in the Mexican level, and all died horribly a few times, unable to even make that jump from the wobbly tower. that was just funny, but still illustrates how the jumping is erratic. And then there was the half-hour we spent trying to catapult up onto ledge in the Undead levels, where we'd get close some times, but it was very random and inconsistent and just needed lots of attempts. I don't see how something 'near perfect' can rub so many people up the wrong way!

Yeah, I sure remember. Great fun though! The second was a co-op challenge anyway and it was hilarious. The other thing I definitely agree on - the wobbly tower thing is a good example of a challenge that is not suitable for the default sackboy physics. If it is the one you are referring to, it was a bonus thing, not a core part of the levels, but yeah, I fancy I would have done better in real life, which is a rare thing to say for computer game platformers ... :D. The only parts with that I had problems with (except for one that I just didn't understand) were going upwards with some rotating and diagonally moving wheels that you could grab/jump off on only at the right moments.

Designing around this stuff is key though.

But thinking about it some more, what we really need in Sackboy is knee physics ... .

Designing around this stuff is key though.
It is, but I feel it shouldn't be, as much as possilbe. that's why I have high hopes for LBP2. I hit too many walls with LBP1 where I had a vision and the limits of LBP kept getting in the way. Basically you have to create an LBP level, rather than use LBP to create your vision (unless your vision happens to be synchronous with LBP!). LBP2's features blow the doors wide open. I can imagine what I want to make, and it won't be a case of workaround and compromises, or discovering this particular mechanic doesn't work because the physics is too dodgy (one of my big problems was I always worked small, whereas LBP is much more big objects. That might still be an issue.). Synchronising to music which was bugged in LBP1 is now possible with the sequencer. More complex mechanisms are possible with the logic circuits. Carrying and creating are possible with the power gloves and Creatinator. Should get some truly amazing experiences from LBP2! Plus it look GORGEOUS!

Well, I was in the beta for LBP1 and once I got the retail copy on launch day I played the game every now and then till this day to check out some new levels or make ones myself.

I don't think you have to played the original that much to get in really. Skimming through some other boards there are quite alot of people who recieved a key already.

as usual i also got my Beta code, it was about 2GB to download plus another 1MB for the free t-shirt :LOL:

EDIT: i really dont a clue how to play this game lol, all i have done is put a panda costume on sackboy and placed some stickers around. Also i have notice that the screen tears a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
It is, but I feel it shouldn't be, as much as possilbe. that's why I have high hopes for LBP2. I hit too many walls with LBP1 where I had a vision and the limits of LBP kept getting in the way. Basically you have to create an LBP level, rather than use LBP to create your vision (unless your vision happens to be synchronous with LBP!). LBP2's features blow the doors wide open. I can imagine what I want to make, and it won't be a case of workaround and compromises, or discovering this particular mechanic doesn't work because the physics is too dodgy (one of my big problems was I always worked small, whereas LBP is much more big objects. That might still be an issue.). Synchronising to music which was bugged in LBP1 is now possible with the sequencer. More complex mechanisms are possible with the logic circuits. Carrying and creating are possible with the power gloves and Creatinator. Should get some truly amazing experiences from LBP2! Plus it look GORGEOUS!

Here's my take. For any game you've ever played, you absolutely need to know the rules in order to enjoy it. This goes for the 'laws' of the game as well.

For instance (and I've made this comparison before) in Gran Turismo or Forza, you'll experience a wide variety of strange situations if you aren't familiar with the physics. The same goes for LittleBigPlanet. If you're used to Mario (or Burnout) and you move over to LittleBigPlanet (or GT) then you'll obviously have some difficulty adjusting.

Now, I won't say that it is the best solution for a platformer, but I also won't say that it's difficult to play. As long as you learn the laws and rules of the game, it's easy to play. The only trick involved is understanding that it's physics based.

For me, this is easily forgivable because the physics based gameplay allows for an ENORMOUS amount of possibilities. If everything in the game wasn't physics based (including sackboy) then there would be a lot of levels that simply wouldn't be possible.

Here's my take. For any game you've ever played, you absolutely need to know the rules in order to enjoy it. This goes for the 'laws' of the game as well.
Now, I won't say that it is the best solution for a platformer, but I also won't say that it's difficult to play. As long as you learn the laws and rules of the game, it's easy to play. The only trick involved is understanding that it's physics based.
What is the 'rule,' or how do you adapt, to jumps that change from attempt to attempt? If you're in water, and need to get out, and to do this you stand on a floating platform and jump off, how does the gamer learn to adapt when sometimes that jump'll work and other times he'll get no height and fall back into the water? If LBP is a matter of timing, then they have the window for action soooo small that it's next to impossible for Joe Public to get that accurate, meaning lots of attempts falling just outside the window and failing. As I've said before, the mechanics don't have to stop being physics based, so there's no need to change the underlying mechanisms and potential of LBP.

Did a couple of story mode levels yesterday, the lbp1 "physics" are still there as default, as reported earlier. But one level was pretty cool where it seemed that gravity changed its direction on the vertical axis as you pressed the x button while driveing your "segway".

Also there was a part of a level where the gravity was less and you did serious moon jumps :)

GFX is NICE!

Now if Sony wants to make my day, they should release this as DD day 1, I do not care if its 50GB DL, I want it as DD :)

Did a couple of story mode levels yesterday, the lbp1 "physics" are still there as default, as reported earlier. But one level was pretty cool where it seemed that gravity changed its direction on the vertical axis as you pressed the x button while driveing your "segway".
I've seen that video clip. I suppose all environmental variables are accessible in game, and this is just a logic switch connected to gravity. Although, is it universal gravity or gravity for individual characters? Could you have one character sans gravity and the other with, for coop gaming with different roles based on motion type?

Back