F.E.A.R. 2 Project Origin

I hope the story will be presented a little better this time. I hated the answering machines as plot devices, especially as they were often nearly impossible to understand and you couldn't even play them again.

I like that Monolith sticks to non-regenerating health. Managing your resources always adds an extra layer of tension, especially in games with horror elements.

If they do it right ya. I more or less had to quit Silent Hill: Homecoming about 60% into the game because I came to a part where the gap between health packs was insane. You come from getting tons of them to non with tougher enemies and it sucks. I really wanted to finish it to :(.

Played the Qore demo. One of the few games (if not the only) in recent memory that made me a bit nauseous, or motion sick. Not exactly sure what it is. I noticed that the PC's movements seemed to have a strange "bob" to it, probably to try and get rid of the unnaturally smooth "glide" motion seen in many FPSs (as if you're sliding across the ground). Maybe that's what's bothering me. Never played the first, but just from the brief demo of the 2nd I'm already interested in the story.

Played the Qore demo. One of the few games (if not the only) in recent memory that made me a bit nauseous, or motion sick. Not exactly sure what it is. I noticed that the PC's movements seemed to have a strange "bob" to it, probably to try and get rid of the unnaturally smooth "glide" motion seen in many FPSs (as if you're sliding across the ground). Maybe that's what's bothering me. Never played the first, but just from the brief demo of the 2nd I'm already interested in the story.

The first is cheap now, you might want to get it and play it before the 2.
It's still really good, and the story is good even if horrible :)

I haven't played it but just watched the demo. It seems like just another FPS.
The problem with that is I think action games have evolved very quickly and it's harder to get excited or interested in another straight ahead FPS games. And this is despite the fact that I've always been a huge Monolith fan.
I think they would be better off bringing the NOLF franchise to consoles again. It could be smarter stealthier,story driven, gadgety, more complex game. Adn the subject matter could allow for more varied locals,more interesting characters and humour. I just think Monolith can do better than this type of FEAR game,I've seen them do it in the past.

I haven't played it but just watched the demo. It seems like just another FPS.
The problem with that is I think action games have evolved very quickly and it's harder to get excited or interested in another straight ahead FPS games. And this is despite the fact that I've always been a huge Monolith fan.
I think they would be better off bringing the NOLF franchise to consoles again. It could be smarter stealthier,story driven, gadgety, more complex game. Adn the subject matter could allow for more varied locals,more interesting characters and humour. I just think Monolith can do better than this type of FEAR game,I've seen them do it in the past.

I feel much hatred in you.
Hatred leads to the dark side.

I'm looking forward to FEAR2 because I expect it to be more of the same. Ninzel has valid criticism, but I'm always a fan of tightly executed one-trick ponies as long as the one trick is done well. As with all good/great fps it is about ambience which FEAR layered on in their drab environments. It was more about pacing and anticipation in my opinion and (from what I can recall, since it has been 4 years) good AI. The atmosphere and AI reactions were simply well executed well and I look forward to being in FEAR's environment again.

I think they would be better off bringing the NOLF franchise to consoles again.

I want a next gen SHOGO!

FEAR was like Timeshift, a generic FPS with a gimick. It got fairly boring and repetitive once the slow-mo combat and "boo a scary little girl" factor wore off. I don't expect much from the sequel so I will pass unless it starts winning GOTYs.

Too much paranormal.
Looks like the main character is under acid or something.
AI isn't remotely smart.
Too many keys, and extended mouse keys aren't mappable.

All in all... No, thank you. :(

(Oh and flickering lights should be OUTLAW!)

Demo looked good and the performance is ok on my system at max settings, 1680x1050/16xCSAA/16xAF.

Would be a hell of a lot better with sound though.... the game didn't output a whisper for me!

Demo looked good and the performance is ok on my system at max settings, 1680x1050/16xCSAA/16xAF.

Would be a hell of a lot better with sound though.... the game didn't output a whisper for me!

Does it still use the PC FEAR bouncing sparks, lit bullet impacts etc and does it have a soft shadow option as FEAR?

I liked the demo (PS3 version), but I wasn't overly impressed with it either.

- looks okay: nice enemy animations, just like in the first game, but the environments look still rather sterile. Sadly the flashlight still doesn't cast any shadows. Come on now, this even worked in the Chronicles of Riddick on the old Xbox. I did like the subtle depth of field and blur effects on the guns as well as the Silent Hill-ish grain filter, though. I also think movement has a nice and believable feel to it. The image shakes a bit more than in other shooters and you get a good sense of weight and inertia. Your dude also has a visible body and casts shadows himself, which is something I always appreciate in a shooter.
Sadly the blood color is incredibly oversaturated and looks downright cartoony.

- sounds okay: the sound design in general is very well done, especially all the directional ambient effects. The guns however sound very weak. I'm especially disappointed with the shotgun: nowhere near as awesome sounding as in the first game and basically no kick back. It sounds and feels very weak. (it isn't, though)

- gameplay is still great fun: I don't know if they merely condensed all the para-normal stuff for the sake of the demo, but I really enjoyed the frequent spooky breaks between shooting dudes in the face. Shooting itself is still as satisfying as in the first game (minus the shotgun). I just hope that Monolith doesn't rely too much on picking up text notes to get the story across in the final game. It's even more boring than listening to answering machines and completely takes you out of the action.

Will most definitelybuy it, but I'm going to wait for a price drop. Streetfighter and Killzone come first in February.

I liked the demo (PS3 version), but I wasn't overly impressed with it either.

- looks okay: nice enemy animations, just like in the first game, but the environments look still rather sterile. Sadly the flashlight still doesn't cast any shadows. Come on now, this even worked in the Chronicles of Riddick on the old Xbox. I did like the subtle depth of field and blur effects on the guns as well as the Silent Hill-ish grain filter, though. I also think movement has a nice and believable feel to it. The image shakes a bit more than in other shooters and you get a good sense of weight and inertia. Your dude also has a visible body and casts shadows himself, which is something I always appreciate in a shooter.
Sadly the blood color is incredibly oversaturated and looks downright cartoony.

- sounds okay: the sound design in general is very well done, especially all the directional ambient effects. The guns however sound very weak. I'm especially disappointed with the shotgun: nowhere near as awesome sounding as in the first game and basically no kick back. It sounds and feels very weak. (it isn't, though)

- gameplay is still great fun: I don't know if they merely condensed all the para-normal stuff for the sake of the demo, but I really enjoyed the frequent spooky breaks between shooting dudes in the face. Shooting itself is still as satisfying as in the first game (minus the shotgun). I just hope that Monolith doesn't rely too much on picking up text notes to get the story across in the final game. It's even more boring than listening to answering machines and completely takes you out of the action.

Will most definitelybuy it, but I'm going to wait for a price drop. Streetfighter and Killzone come first in February.

Yes and unfortunately who has to try 360 version noticed more slowdown and aliasing on ps3 demo.

Better performance on the 360 wouldn't suprise me, but I didn't think the framerate was a big issue on the PS3 (runs well enough for me with some minor dips here and there, kinda like Condemned 2) and all the post-processing effects as well as the rather bleak color palette hid most of the jaggies anyway.
I would have tried the 360 demo as well, but it's only for Gold members at the moment.

Back