Kinect 2: the second iteration motion control

Microsoft has already said they plan on rolling TV integration out in 41 countries in the future.
That's really entirely too vague. Is that a first step, an intermediary stage, or a final goal? What timeframe are they looking at, and so on.

While one might argue that these details will be specified more sharply later, I really think more focus should have been made on this right during the reveal conference, considering the huge amount of emphasis put on the TV aspect of their gadget. TV integration, cool stuff yeah, but if it fucking won't work in the country you live in and perhaps never will - why should you bother?

They need to be much more up-front with this, and if they don't have a plan in place right now and are moving to get their deals in place like, LAST YEAR, they're already in trouble.

That's really entirely too vague. Is that a first step, an intermediary stage, or a final goal? What timeframe are they looking at, and so on.

While one might argue that these details will be specified more sharply later, I really think more focus should have been made on this right during the reveal conference, considering the huge amount of emphasis put on the TV aspect of their gadget. TV integration, cool stuff yeah, but if it fucking won't work in the country you live in and perhaps never will - why should you bother?

They need to be much more up-front with this, and if they don't have a plan in place right now and are moving to get their deals in place like, LAST YEAR, they're already in trouble.

You assume making deals with TV companies is easy. It isn't. At all. I think everyone would agree that if the cable/satellite company cartels were broken up and everything were delivered over IPTV like we know it should, the TV integration with this box would be absolutely awesome. As such, that doesn't exist now. Maybe it'll exist in 5 years? Who knows.

The one thing I want to point out to people is that there is absolutely no way you could have dreamed in 2005 how most people (at least in the US) use their Xbox 360 today. Netflix Streaming, Hulu+, Amazon Video on Demand, and YouTube did not exist in 2005. And now, they dominate usage.

Regardless, software can be changed over time, hardware cannot. I'm just looking at the raw specs of this machine, imagining 4-5 years into the future, and imagining the possibilities. Thinking of the Xbox One as a simple game console isn't thinking enough outside the box.

Does that 41 include Japan? We've already seen what they think of them, should the 40 other countries expect the same?

We will have to see? What were you expecting from an hour long press conference? Game after game after game? This honestly confuses me.

I can only read the words I see in the forum. If you want people to know you are joking, put "/s" at the end to indicate sarcasm. :)
Inability to detect sarcasm without some smiley or tag notification is a permabannable offence on this board.

I guess with the Kinect, I am admiring the technical aspects of what they've attempted to achieve while the rest of the Internet is worried about privacy concerns. Sure, they exist but 10 years from now this conversation will seem silly. I mean, in order for Jarvis in Iron Man or the computer is Star Trek to work, they clearly have to be listening all the time, right?

Does that 41 include Japan? We've already seen what they think of them, should the 40 other countries expect the same?

Pfft. I am sorry but who here thinks its a good idea to invite yourself to an event on the other side of the globe because you have some clout in a country where that manufacturer's product has no traction. Its hard for me to believe that Famitsu didn't try to acquire an invitation well in advanced, was denied and still tried to show up anyway.

Given the japanese's sense of etiquette, you'd think a japanese mag would be the least willing to try something like that.

Given the japanese's sense of etiquette, you'd think a japanese mag would be the least willing to try something like that.

Actually, it's a perfect example of Japanese interpersonal interactions. It'd be too long to into it in depth here but in this case there's a few situations that apply.

1. They feel they are more important than the gaming press in other parts of the world. Hence, like a person of a station above others, you can show up even if not invited. The other person stands to lose significant face if they do not allow you in despite the uninvited nature of your visit. In other words, they have nothing to lose while the other party has everything to lose.

2. If they are on equal footing. Then each party has equal chance to lose face. If they are turned away they both lose face. The gamble here is that they feel it is important enough to force the other party to act in a certain way to save face despite the fact that it could result in a termination of contact between the parties in the future. But if it is important enough, then they'll take the risk. For example, if Famitsu thought that despite Microsoft giving up on Japan due to X360, that they could help Microsoft make Xbox One more successful.

3. If they are on lower footing it's similar to the above. Except you stand to lose far more face the the other party denying you entrance. In this case, the risk is huge so something like wouldn't be done lightly.

I'd say in Famitsu's case it's either 1 or 2. Where they miscalculated is that Microsoft were more than willing to lose a little face to focus on getting the message out to the markets that have historically been more receptive to their consoles.

If it had been a Japanese company, it's unlikely they would have been turned away even if they had been denied an invitation in private as the host company wouldn't want to take the hit and they wouldn't have wanted to cause such an influential magazine (in Japan) to lose face.

Regards,
SB

Thing is, I doubt you'll see any games that really utilize it on the PC. On the PC they'll just do real cool projects for mocap and room/object scanning etc, like they're doing now. But if that's all you want, then that's great.

To be honest, if it goes down like last gen, I doubt I'll see games that really utilize it that I actually like. :LOL:

I'm more interested in the tech behind it, and what some talented moders can do with it.
But don't you think it will be a shame not to be able to use it at least with windows 8?

I'm more interested in the tech behind it, and what some talented moders can do with it.
But don't you think it will be a shame not to be able to use it at least with windows 8?
They already said it would be ... I wonder if they will DRM the hardware at the IC level to be sure it can only be used with Windows 8, the hardware is quite valuable, there is nothing like it available for non boutique prices.

This have potential:!: (I will never buy it because the always on and used games thing anyway but meybe for the PC)

Anyway this is impressive and could really make new kinds of games if the controller was diferent IMO.

I mean I can see a kick-boxing game/sim, or even a tennis or dancing game/sim, real potential for that (although I dont have the home space for it, as most house on EU), but I cant see a first person melee game or something that doesnt look a like a gym replacement :cry:, if they had a move like controller I could see it.

Still real potential for new stuff.

Actually, it's a perfect example of Japanese interpersonal interactions. It'd be too long to into it in depth here but in this case there's a few situations that apply.

And a perfect example of why MS's huge efforts with the 360 in Japan didn't work. There was a great article that outlined all the different reasons from what MS was doing to how it was perceived by the Japanese culture.

I will say that the difference this time is that MS isn't trying to work its way into the Japanese market. This time, it's the Japanese market/press that is trying to work its way into the One's market.

And if they want to learn how to do so, I suggest they do things a bit differently.

I see no reason why MS should have to change their style to adapt to Japan. It was different at the launch of the 360, when Japan was seen as a huge market for consoles. That's why MS made such an effort, invested so much money, made such a push. At this point? Nope, Japan adapts to MS or they don't. Their choice.

And since SB gave such a great detailed breakdown of the differences in culture, I'll give an example as well. If Famitsu wants to get a seat back at the table, the only thing it would take is an apology and a handshake.

Of course, if those things are so strictly against their culture, you'll also realize why they are so important to ours.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW any more info in this??

he PlayStation 4 Eye is the successor to the PlayStation Eye, and the EyeToy before that. There's one very crucial difference, however - whereas previous Eyes were essentially little more than souped-up webcams with motion and colour detection, the PlayStation 4 Eye is a long bar with two cameras built in.

That second Eye literally adds an extra dimension to the PlayStation 4's player recognition abilities, since it lets the device use both cameras to track depth and figure out where a player is standing in the room. Yes, just like with Kinect.

The immediate reaction to this should be obvious - the PlayStation 4 Eye isn't just there to read the LED bar on top of the DualShock 4 controller and allow for PlayStation Move-type motion controls. It's also there to challenge Kinect, and attempt to offer the same sort of depth-based controller-free gaming Microsoft has been promoting for the past few years.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/392819/blog/eye-spy-has-sony-found-its-answer-to-kinect/

Anyone know if this can work well enough too? At least in theory?

If it could work well enough with move this could mean that next time you get a sword on a FPS you actually wield it, in a way that Link (zelda wii) can only hope to dream :D.

And since SB gave such a great detailed breakdown of the differences in culture, I'll give an example as well. If Famitsu wants to get a seat back at the table, the only thing it would take is an apology and a handshake.
You think they should apologize for Japanese people not buying more xbox's?

Back