Kinect 2: the second iteration motion control

The depth resolution seems to have improved a lot more than width and height. The amount of noise in the depth buffer is also greatly reduced judging by videos of the old Kinect and the new K2 demo.

Cheers

I though Kinect 2 was the most impressive thing to come out of the reveal.

Just the sheer nerd factor of determining your mood, muscle dynamics and heartbeat just by watching you impresses me.

Having said that depth resolution isn't much better than v1, 512x424 approx 2.8x the ridiculously low res 320x240 depth info Kinect 1 worked with. I'd have liked to see at least VGA res for depth if not 720p. They could perhaps track fingers then.

I wonder if Kinect has have more onboard processing this time around.
The Kinect box looks a bit chunkier to me, even though there's no motor and fewer cameras this time. Maybe there is more going on in there.

Someone mentions saving 2 frames of latency compared with Kinect 1 in this gametrailers video. There's some controler interaction, heart rate monitoring too.

Video isn't playing for me, but it was the second part of this: http://www.gametrailers.com/playlist/1x6o6u/behind-the-scenes-of-xbox-one

Last edited by a moderator:
The way the camera records depth is totally different, so I think there's also the argument that the quality of the data is much better, besides the modest bump in depth resolution. I think speed and processing requirements were probably a big factor in choosing the resolution.

Hopefully this Xbox does well enough that we'll see another and Kinect 3.

And it works with black people! YAY!

Note: I'm not racist, but as an African American, I really do wonder sometimes if tech companies test their tech on darker skin tones. Often stuff fails terribly. :???:

shacknews says this new Kinect is coming to PC again. Not that it's tech news, but I figured anyone interested in Kinect would see it here.

If Xbox One controller has IR, could they release a "lighgun" that work with Kinect 2? It can be great for a shooter on-rail

By far the most impressive part of the new xbox, is kinect 2.
The tech is simply amazing.
I can only hope it will be utilized by devs.
It's the only incentive to get a new xbox for me at this point.

Edit
shacknews says this new Kinect is coming to PC again. Not that it's tech news, but I figured anyone interested in Kinect would see it here.

And that incentive just went bye bye!
I should have read the whole thread before posting... :LOL:

By far the most impressive part of the new xbox, is kinect 2.
The tech is simply amazing.
I can only hope it will be utilized by devs.
It's the only incentive to get a new xbox for me at this point.

Edit

And that incentive just went bye bye!
I should have read the whole thread before posting... :LOL:

Thing is, I doubt you'll see any games that really utilize it on the PC. On the PC they'll just do real cool projects for mocap and room/object scanning etc, like they're doing now. But if that's all you want, then that's great.

It really should make for an incredible webcam though... ;) I'm suspicious of its power useage though, if it needs an external power brick then it's a rather unwieldy webcam. What's the max draw from a standard USB3 port on a PC? The kinect port on xbone is really large compared to USB, so clearly some custom jobbie there (with, presumably, much more power available than ordinarily.)

It really should make for an incredible webcam though... ;) I'm suspicious of its power useage though, if it needs an external power brick then it's a rather unwieldy webcam. What's the max draw from a standard USB3 port on a PC? The kinect port on xbone is really large compared to USB, so clearly some custom jobbie there (with, presumably, much more power available than ordinarily.)

I was thinking it was the same connector, but it indeed looks bigger...

Xbox 360 S ports...

06-14-10kinectport.jpg

Xbox One ports...

xbox%20one%20back%20of%20console.jpg

Tommy McClain

this is a good demo that show the improvements from the old kinect

http://video.wired.com/watch/new-xbox-kinect-exclusive-wired-video-398878

it detect every single element on face, single eyes, mouth, etc and analize the voice to do emotion modelling

Damn. Another one of those negative press reviews from the mainstream media again. MS has really wet the bed with their PR for the One so far.

Can we get some positive press please?

/sarcasm

This video from Wired is also pretty cool

http://video.wired.com/watch/new-xbox-design-exclusive-wired-video-398878

OT Does anyone know how Kinect v1 manages to do four player simultaneous play in the Just Dance games? I thought it only supported body tracking for up to 2 players max.

OT Does anyone know how Kinect v1 manages to do four player simultaneous play in the Just Dance games? I thought it only supported body tracking for up to 2 players max.

I think they just do something with the the raw depth buffer data. One of the exercise games uses that data instead of the skeletal data as well.

Or perhaps they can allocate more CPU/GPU resources to skeletal tracking since the game is simple graphically? Or is the two player skeletal tracking limit hardcoded into Kinect?

Kinect for Xbox 360 & Windows only supports actively tracking 2 skeletons at a time, but it can passively track up to 4 additional players. So, like Scott said, the developer might be rolling their own kind of tracking system to be able to track 4 players at once.

Tommy McClain

Back