Kinect 2: the second iteration motion control

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Xenio, May 22, 2013.

1. Xenio

Regular Banned

this is a good demo that show the improvements from the old kinect

http://video.wired.com/watch/new-xbox-kinect-exclusive-wired-video-398878

it detect every single element on face, single eyes, mouth, etc and analize the voice to do emotion modelling

it does muscular tension recognition and it's capable to see if any skeletal node rotates.

And the latency is way way low, hard to spot on

2. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Looks like a massive improvement. The wrist/thumb tracking clearly is still a bit of a stretch, and I don't buy the heart rate thing being reliable (at least not from this video, doubt his heart rate was 60 ;) ) but assuming they are also dropping the whole thing that games cannot also use the controller, that should be much less of a problem right there. The fact that it works in the dark as well as it does is really important, and I think one that Sony didn't bother enough about. Also, Kinect being default now will be a massive improvement in terms of OS level and game support. I think the danger for Sony is that while Sony has some of this stuff covered with the PS Eye / controller combo, they won't be able to rely on it well enough because their system won't work in the dark, they will struggle to find a balance between what to use where (between PS Eye, Controller and Move), and not have a unified vision and SDK right out of the box, meaning that Microsoft will have a big up on them in that area.

We'll see and know more come E3 though ...

3. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Wow, TOF! Interested in seeing investigations into this. The depth tech is mm level which is something TOF was supposed to struggle with. I don't suppose the camera is cheap.

4. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

The optics for it looks pretty dang major, 10, 20x larger (maybe more) compared to any regular webcam. Also check out the IR LEDs used - three also very very major pieces. They probably cost a bundle as well and not surprising they need to be fan cooled.

5. Xenio

Regular Banned

maybe could be iteresting how the TOF technology actually work

http://www.imagesensors.org/Past Workshops/2009 Workshop/2009 Papers/058_paper_Oggier_invited.pdf

seems kinda complex to me

[​IMG]

this is a simple implementation, have no idea how much the Kin2 is more complex..

6. Cjail

Cjail Fool
    Veteran

The speed at which light propagates through air is less than c

7. Gubbi

Veteran

By 0.03%

Cheers

8. Cjail

Cjail Fool
    Veteran

Yeah I am being pedantic but still this is a tech forums, let's be technical ;)

9. Scott_Arm

Legend

It does say approximately. Doesn't seem particularly important at distances of 3 - 10 feet. ;)

I'm guessing the Xbox One will come with a Kinect Sports type game. Maybe not. Hopefully something like that will be ready for E3. I'm curious to see how well the new skeletal processing picks up overlappy limbs. It looked a lot better in the demo vids I saw. Every once in a while I did see a little glitch, but nothing like Kinect 1.

10. Cjail

Cjail Fool
    Veteran

For me Kinect would be great for RTS.

11. Jwm

Jwm
    Veteran Regular

Around -0.32 in the video you can see that the controllers are emitting as well. Seems to be that the area that now houses the guide button is simply to contain IR emitters. A bit similar to the DS4 setup, but you don't have the color bars visible.

12. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

Just though you guys might be interested in this video. It´s from a video amplification paper, that was presented at Siggraph 20xx. It shows heartbeat detection through video, and it´s impressively accurate.

13. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I think it's simply reflective. Since the kinect itself is putting out a fair amount of IR already, there's probably little good reason to burn power on IR leds in the controller...

14. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

15. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Wow! Now THAT is what I've been waiting for with the new xbox. I'm far more impressed with that than the whole official reveal. Now if we see some games make good use of this (which they no doubt will) then I'm fully on board!

16. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

anyone know if it can use props ?

17. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

kinect one allow props... maybe kinect two still allow props.
    Some games on kinect one also suggest using props

18. astrograd

Regular

Technically light never travels less than c. What is taught to you in introductory physics classes in high school/college is referring to a sort of 'drift velocity' of light, accounting for the time averaged promotion/decays of the electronic states in the atoms/molecules of the medium. :wink:

Sooo...yeah, Kinect eh? This looks extremely impressive. They are doing way more than I had expected, and I was basing my already optimistic expectations on their MSR and patent works. Here is another video. This one shows off the voice filtering too, which is likewise amazing: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/video-watch-us-flail-in-front-of-the-xbox-ones-new-kinect/

So errr...at what point does this actually start offering compelling, unique gaming interactions for core gaming because these vids seem to indicate the tech is absolutely there. This could be a big deal. A VERY big deal. :grin:

19. (((interference)))

Veteran

I though Kinect 2 was the most impressive thing to come out of the reveal.

Just the sheer nerd factor of determining your mood, muscle dynamics and heartbeat just by watching you impresses me.

Having said that depth resolution isn't much better than v1, 512x424 approx 2.8x the ridiculously low res 320x240 depth info Kinect 1 worked with. I'd have liked to see at least VGA res for depth if not 720p. They could perhaps track fingers then.

I wonder if Kinect has have more onboard processing this time around.

20. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Speed is a much more important improvement than resolution, imho. For most purposes, it seemed realtime / lag-free enough. The fact that it is now meant to be able to work well in combination with a controller is hopeful as well.

I did see another demo by the way where the heartbeat tracking did seem to work properly (varying between 60-70).

There are some other neat tools being developed in that area as well by the way, among others coming from a competition to make something like the Star Trek medical device (forgot it's name - tricorder?)