[PS3] God of War III Pre-Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaked scans from Gameinformer. You can only just read the text. Graphics don't seem that impressive, looks like the models are made out of clay.

As Pointed out, scans not allowed -Al

Sounds great, I'd much rather the game look unique and have it's own art direction, and not look like the normal mapped crap we've been fed all generation.

Game looks great.

Its the experience of GOW and GOW II that is making me look forward for this. The scans are a bit dissappointing though, but great gameplay can sweep everything away ..............
I hope GOWIII brings the same awesomness that GOWII brought after GOW !

Its the experience of GOW and GOW II that is making me look forward for this. The scans are a bit dissappointing though, but great gameplay can sweep everything away ..............
I hope GOWIII brings the same awesomness that GOWII brought after GOW !

The gameplay wasn't that amazingly great, it just appealed to a mass audience.
Especially with its gore and sex minigames.

This is a section from the mag scan.

"We saw the proof of this technology in action with one of the titan character models, which had a tiny white dot on its chest, no bigger than a few pixels. "See that?" asks the director, pointing to the dot. "That's Kratos." The camera than zooms in, and we see the Ghost of Sparta, slowly scaling the gigantic torso in real time. As the view continues to get closer to Kratos, we see tendons moving and flexing under his skin as he makes the arduous climb."

"To say that God of War III has impressive graphics is an understatement. The level of detail on Kratos' in-game model is breathtaking - even his teeth are individually modeled. "Kratos on PS2 was probably about 5.000 polygons, now he's 20.000" elaborates art director Ken Feldman."

Has anyone seen something like that in a game before? If so, what game?

If anyone thinks GOW 3 is going to disappoint visually, is in for a rude awakening.

I compare the game visuals too the series, not other games. ;)

Please explain why. It was accessible, entertaining, and deep enough to experiment with.

I notice you have a lot to say, but rarely elaborate, it would be nice every once in a while if you would actually explain yourself, instead of coming off like someone who just wants to be pessimistic for the heck of it.

I don't know if you're anti-PS3 or what, as I don't visit many 360 oriented threads (I own one, but admittedly don't play it much) but I almost always see you in these threads saying something negative about these exclusives, and it's just very peculiar to me since you don't explain yourself.

If anyone thinks GOW 3 is going to disappoint visually, is in for a rude awakening.

I compare the game visuals too the series, not other games. ;)

I agree. From what I've seen in videos (teaser), it's probably a game that impresses more when seen in motion, rather than screenshots. There's a lot of action and effects going on which makes it all come together nicely. As long as the gameplay is spot on, I'm sure it's going to be blast.

Well it certainly does not appear to be your type of game... Clearly others like the series for what it is. But anyways,

What about the gameplay did you not like? The QTE's? As Tha_con has brought up, it helps to explain your position, even on this side of the forums.

One thing I always felt they could improve in the God of War titles was the use of alternate weapons. They never really had a combo system, just basic attacks, etc. It sounds like that may be changing in GoW3, and I'm really hoping that the new weapons will have more depth to them.

I also wouldn't mind a more refined upgrade system, as opposed to just spending orbs and collecting eyes. It would be awesome to have a secondary system for abilities for Kratos that uses another forum of currency or something, to give us more choice and direction...but I don't think that will happen, lol.

GOW I and II are some of my favorite hack and slash games of last generation. I only played them about 6 months ago when I got my BC MGS4 PS3.

My only concern is that once again it is a totally new director for the game. I haven't played Chains of Olympus, but does anyone know if this is the same director. I've heard it was very well received.

I don't usually like QTE in my games, but for some reason do not mind how they've implemented them in GOW. I don't mind the sex or gore, as a matter of fact, I wouldn't mind if there was more of it.

I agree with tha_con about the alternate weapons having more combos available. It would be an awesome bonus to redo GOWI, II, Chains of Olympus and offer it in with one package with GOWIII for PS3. I'd easily pay a $100 for that.

I'm a big fan of God of War and exclusively for the gameplay. I think Kratos looks stupid. The tribal tats and the shaved head and everything. He's just a terrible design. And the sex/nudity just seems embarrassingly lame. The gore doesn't really bother me, I guess, but I find as I get older I can do without it more often than not. Basically God of War 3 just needs a built in gatorade advertisement and it would be the video game equivalent of Spike TV. Still, God of War 3 is one of the games I'm looking forward to the most out of anything on the 360, PS3 and Wii.

My only concern is that once again it is a totally new director for the game. I haven't played Chains of Olympus, but does anyone know if this is the same director. I've heard it was very well received.

This time Stig Asmussen is the director. Chains of Olympus was made by a different developer, namely Ready at Dawn. So far we've had 3 different directors for 3 games, and they all turned out great. I'm not that worried about a change of director this time. I imagine most of the team that worked on GOW 1 and 2 are now working on 3.

I have not played any God of War game. Wasn't inspired by Kratos really.

Am more interested to see how the girls in the series have improved. :devilish:

I have not played any God of War game. Wasn't inspired by Kratos really.

Am more interested to see how the girls in the series have improved. :devilish:

Hmmm, you mean a new mini game with high poly count and mapped dolls? :D

Kratos can sit back while I take the sorority girls out for a spin. The monsters are all Greek right ? ^_^

Please explain why. It was accessible, entertaining, and deep enough to experiment with.

I notice you have a lot to say, but rarely elaborate, it would be nice every once in a while if you would actually explain yourself, instead of coming off like someone who just wants to be pessimistic for the heck of it.

I don't know if you're anti-PS3 or what, as I don't visit many 360 oriented threads (I own one, but admittedly don't play it much) but I almost always see you in these threads saying something negative about these exclusives, and it's just very peculiar to me since you don't explain yourself.

Well, I've played the series on PS2 and PSP, and while good, is not that impressive except in regards to graphics and perhaps story.

The combat gameplay is not as thrilling or deep as certain Japanese action games, and IMO having QTE's everywhere in a game are a step back rather than a step forward for gameplay.

It is probably the best Western action game though, and has strengths in areas other that gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Played the first one the summer it came out, like it alot, liked the story, liked the cutscenes, liked the gameplay, thought kratos weapons where cool. Admitelly i dont play alot of hack and slash so i dont really have anything to compare my GoW except for demo runs on other hack and slash games, and those turn me off for the most part. Graphics where impressive for PS2 (not that impressive, cuz i bought GT4 on the same day)

Hope the third one will be good, i wanted to buy the second one but i dont have my ps2 anymore and i just remember i dont have BC on the ps3 :(

Well it certainly does not appear to be your type of game... Clearly others like the series for what it is. But anyways,

What about the gameplay did you not like? The QTE's? As Tha_con has brought up, it helps to explain your position, even on this side of the forums.

I like the gore (though the sex minigames are a rather juvenile gimmick), I was saying that the 'sex and gore' are what make them appeal to a mass audience (who whould have thought?). Having a grumpy anti hero with an anger management problem also helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually trying to play through God of War 1 on my PS3 right now ... the graphics do not survive the tests of time ;) Still a fun game to play. One thing that's annoying is every time I start the game I have to set it back to progressive scan and everything. Not sure why it doesn't remember my settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back