Japan Sales Thread

The Wii's YTD lead ahead of the PS3 is only 10k now. PS3 will probably edge ahead within the coming month.

Two weeks max - however, the Wii is getting a few big titles soon which could tip the scale temporarily. It will be interesting to see if the Move matters at all for Japan, but that'll have to wait until October 21st if I remember correctly. Between then and now they could have traded places a few times already.

Yes the ps3 has edged ahead of the wii for the first time for the average over the last 12months.
Also based on population the ps3 in japan is averaging higher than the ps3+xbox360 in the US for the last 12months (though not higher than the wii in the US)
Whilst the sales of home consoles are not as strong as they used to be in japan (certainly handhelds are still strong) selling better than the ps360 in the states aint too bad is it?

Yes the ps3 has edged ahead of the wii for the first time for the average over the last 12months.
Also based on population the ps3 in japan is averaging higher than the ps3+xbox360 in the US for the last 12months (though not higher than the wii in the US)
Whilst the sales of home consoles are not as strong as they used to be in japan (certainly handhelds are still strong) selling better than the ps360 in the states aint too bad is it?

I'd like to see the numbers and the math of that.

average japan ps3 numbers per week = 41722 (last 52weeks) = 180795 month
pop ratio in US/japan is ~2.45
thus ~443k per month, i.e. higher than average NPD numbers (for last 12months for both ps3+xbox360), though both are over 400k so its not a large difference but mathematically the japs have been buying per head of population more ps3's than the yanks have been buying ps3+xbox360s

thus ~443k per month, i.e. higher than average NPD numbers (for last 12months for both ps3+xbox360), though both are over 400k so its not a large difference but mathematically the japs have been buying per head of population more ps3's than the yanks have been buying ps3+xbox360s

Thanks for those. Still I think this is a very unique moment to get that result. It's exactly 12 months for the slim now. It sold pretty well for the first four months in Japan and FF13 launched there as well.

If you look YTD, it looks very different, let alone LTD. Why should we care about some cherry picked 12 month period? Is this 12 month period the one that counts? Using that 2.45 multiplier, NPD has YTD X360 sales over Jap PS3+X360(I know 360 doesn't add a lot), and NPD has PS3 LTD clearly over PS3 Jap, and that's while PS3 is a distant third in NA.

Hmm that seems a little odd since the PS3 at say, 25k/week right now is selling 100k a month in Japan while PS360 sold like 650k in NPD last month.

Not sure your numbers are accurate.

Hmm that seems a little odd since the PS3 at say, 25k/week right now is selling 100k a month in Japan while PS360 sold like 650k in NPD last month.

Not sure your numbers are accurate.

The numbers are correct. PS3 sold very well over there at the end of last year, prior, during and little after the release of FF13. It has slowed down since then though. The average for this year is a lot less.

It's still true :D

Are you sure that's true ? If you only observe the thread activity here, we would have missed the case when PS3 sales exceeds Wii in Japan temporarily, but no one post anything here. Do you tally weekly Japan sales and B3D thread post count this way ? If true, then I am awed.

EDIT: While we are at it:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/04/miyamoto_kyoto_talk/

Miyamoto spoke at the Kyoto International Manga Museum yesterday. No transcript or report ?

77l.jpg

78l.jpg

79l.jpg

80l.jpg

I have no idea what the numbers are. The 360 figures has one more year of cummulative sales compared to PS3 and Wii.

EDIT: Beaten.

How would thre first graph's overwhelming 1st party presence on Wii be affected if you took out WiiSports and WiiFit from the equation?

How would thre first graph's overwhelming 1st party presence on Wii be affected if you took out WiiSports and WiiFit from the equation?
Between Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort you can subtract 11~12 million software units for Japan. [strike]The 1st-party ratio would drop on the order of 2~3 percentage points, from 46.5ish to 44ish.

It's probably the biggest single chunk you can bite out of it, but it still doesn't change the overall picture all that much.[/strike]

Last edited by a moderator:
Between Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort you can subtract 11~12 million software units for Japan. The 1st-party ratio would drop on the order of 2~3 percentage points, from 46.5ish to 44ish.

It's probably the biggest single chunk you can bite out of it, but it still doesn't change the overall picture all that much.

So you're saying those 4 titles only account for ~5% of Nintendos 1st party sales? Doesn't sound right. What titles account for the other 95%? Pretty sure just a few titles account for the majority of Nintendo sales.

Also which chart are you referring? Shifty said the first chart, where 1st party is on the order of 75%.

So you're saying those 4 titles only account for ~5% of Nintendos 1st party sales? Doesn't sound right. What titles account for the other 95%? Pretty sure just a few titles account for the majority of Nintendo sales.

Also which chart are you referring? Shifty said the first chart, where 1st party is on the order of 75%.
Gotcha, I was looking at the chart with Japan+US combined, with 260M+ software units instead of 50M for Japan only :oops:
So please disregard my math, it's bunk. The Japan-only software units for Fit/Sports should be right though.

So please disregard my math, it's bunk. The Japan-only software units for Fit/Sports should be right though.
So 11 million WiiFit and Sports units from 50M total game sales? If total sales is 50 million, Nintendo's 75% would be 37.5 million. If we remove the Fit/Sport aspect, that'd become about 27 million out of 40 million, or about 68%. So still very much weighted against 3rd parties.

Back