Final Fantasy XIII [PS3, X360]

Finally finished it last night. If I have to rate it I'd give it 7/10, only thing really saving this game is the battle system. And that being its fast paced.

Graphics are stunning thats for sure but the lack of possibilities to explore this beautiful landscape really puts me off. When you finally get to explore its already too late, the feeling has died already and you might be able to finish some missions but sooner than later you just want to get it over with and continue the story. Just to find out its not really worth it. The story will only suck some more after this point. The characters are all pretty good, except Vanille, can't stand her at all.

The battle system like I said is quite interesting thats for sure and offers lots of possibilities, however you can pretty much win all the fights with auto-battle and I guess its meant to be so. Libra + Auto-battle spam gets you 5 stars anyway so why bother with any different strategies. I guess this sounds bad and all but I was just hugely disappointed how far you can fall from the past games, had high hopes what they could achieve with this gen, however I guess the better the graphics get, the harder it is to offer the past games quality. I understand not everyone looks the same things in games, but this game offered little what I was hoping for. Doubt I will ever start this game again, perhaps finish the missions someday. This game is right next to FF X-2, thank god I atleast didn't buy that one, only rented it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally finished it last night. If I have to rate it I'd give it 7/10, only thing really saving this game is the battle system. And that being its fast paced.

Graphics are stunning thats for sure but the lack of possibilities to explore this beautiful landscape really puts me off. When you finally get to explore its already too late, the feeling has died already and you might be able to finish some missions but sooner than later you just want to get it over with and continue the story. Just to find out its not really worth it. The story will only suck some more after this point. The characters are all pretty good, except Vanille, can't stand her at all.

The battle system like I said is quite interesting thats for sure and offers lots of possibilities, however you can pretty much win all the fights with auto-battle and I guess its meant to be so. Libra + Auto-battle spam gets you 5 stars anyway so why bother with any different strategies. I guess this sounds bad and all but I was just hugely disappointed how far you can fall from the past games, had high hopes what they could achieve with this gen, however I guess the better the graphics get, the harder it is to offer the past games quality. I understand not everyone looks the same things in games, but this game offered little what I was hoping for. Doubt I will ever start this game again, perhaps finish the missions someday. This game is right next to FF X-2, thank god I atleast didn't buy that one, only rented it.

You must not have gone very far in the hunts and explored Pulse, because Libra+Auto Battle will not win you a 5 star rating. You absolutely have to make good use of the Paradigm system and actively plan out your strategies for those battles.

In my opinion, the past games are steaming piles in comparison, derivative BS all too typical of JRPG's with broken combat systems and tedious management (not to mention irritating towns filled with dozens of people who contribute nothing but vitriol to the story). I enjoyed this much more than past Final Fantasy titles, though I still hold XII above it.

Patsu - that's not too big of a worry if you really wish to dig into the upgrade system and put in some hours. The game will reward you with plenty of components and money later on in Gran Pulse (especially if you do the chocobo treasures). You will be able to buy a lot of components fairly easily.

Crap ! Today I noticed that my FF13 disc has a small crack near the disc hole. I will not put the disc inside the case anymore, but rather a DVD cover ....I just hope it doesn't breaks by itself, especially when playing.

My friend told me that its gonna break eventually sometimes later while playing the game....Is he right ?
I so hope he's wrong:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Chocobo is which mission ? I return to Gran Pulse to check them out.

I believe you have to finish up to mission 13 to unlock the Chocobo's. I'll double check shortly and return with an edit.

Once you unlock them though, treasures are scattered around the Steppe, anything from components (generally catalysts) to some rare items (tetrahadric crowns I think?) and Gold Dust / Gold Nuggets (which sell for 15K and 30K gil I believe).

Yeah, I am already in Chapter 13 and warped back to Gran Pulse. I'll probably take my time to grind the missions.

Yeah, I am already in Chapter 13 and warped back to Gran Pulse. I'll probably take my time to grind the missions.
I'd recommend you beat the game first. You can go back to Gran Pulse with your post-ending save, and will have another crystarium level opened up, which gives you a much better shot at beating the more difficult missions.

How many bosses left after the warp point ? Do I fight the final boss right away once I go back to the warp point ?

How many bosses left after the warp point ? Do I fight the final boss right away once I go back to the warp point ?

Are you interested in Trophies (or achievements depending on platform)? It can be worth it to go harvest some stuff, mainly for CP though, as upgrading your weapons will significantly cut down on your target time. Another bonus can be picking up a lot of good items that can assist you in the final battle (and maybe give you some good synth abilities).

I am interested in anything to make my boss fights easier and faster. ^_^
How many more do I have left ?

I am interested in anything to make my boss fights easier and faster. ^_^
How many more do I have left ?
I think there's 3 of these "we'll teleport you to this arena now" battles in Ch 13, and then there's ... well ... the grand finale. The thing is though, Gran Pulse missions are much more challenging than that, so the natural order would be beating the game first. You'll earn tons of CP in Ch 13 anyway, so it's not even effective to go grind on Gran Pulse at that point.

I think there's 3 of these "we'll teleport you to this arena now" battles in Ch 13, and then there's ... well ... the grand finale. The thing is though, Gran Pulse missions are much more challenging than that, so the natural order would be beating the game first. You'll earn tons of CP in Ch 13 anyway, so it's not even effective to go grind on Gran Pulse at that point.

I disagree. Unless you refuse to shift your paradigms often and you're just mashing away at autobattle hoping to get a chain, they'll be difficult, but the first 30 or so missions are extremely easy, and a lot of the items you'll get are extremely helpful. It's most certainly worth it to go through at least the first 20 missions, they aren't hard at all. The only challenge in Gran Pulse up to that point is the Adamantortoise, and you don't have to encounter it at all.

The last tier of CP is hardly necessary for anything except the last 20 hunts. I haven't beat the game yet, and I blew past the first 20 hunts, the next 10 I had to actually pay attention, but they were hardly difficult. Only now that I'm getting into the last 20 hunts am I starting to have a little difficulty.

I'd say do the missions required for the Chocobo and then try mission 55. Success in that mission means you get the "growth egg", and equipping it will give you twice the amount of cp. Your only chance of taking the target down at such an early time will be Vanille's Death spell though, and the spell has a 1% base chance for success (staggering and status ailments usually increase the odds, but unfortunately the bugger is immune to everything except death and has an enormous break bar, so don't even bother trying anything else)

Finished this yesterday - well, I finished Chapter 13, obviously there's a lot of side quests to do now. Anyone want to try and explain the ending to me? Seemed rather obtuse.

Finished this yesterday - well, I finished Chapter 13, obviously there's a lot of side quests to do now. Anyone want to try and explain the ending to me? Seemed rather obtuse.
Dysley/Barthandelus is secretly Eden ... or rather Eden's astral projection roaming the world, ruling Cocoon and all. Eden/Dysley/Barthandelus wants to die but can't suicide, so it lures the party in to finish him/it/whateverself.

The party of course wants to save Cocoon, which they do by destroying Cocoon. You see, they know killing Eden will end their world. Dysley told them, and truthfully so. The party avoids interference by going there and attacking!

After the party destroys Cocoon in a sort of willful accident, Vanille and Fang both succumb to their "focus" to more-destroy Cocoon and transform into Ragnarok, destroyer of worlds, especially Cocoon. But because they are good people at heart, they instead prevent Cocoon's fatal crash to the planet's surface using the power of their current form.

Then everybody turns to crystal, an unknown number of centuries passes, then they turn back to human form all together and meet up and party. Thankfully, the crystal outcroppings supporting Cocoon's place in the sky stay solid.

Apparently the big plot was to destroy Cocoon by letting it fall to the surface and ... then ... destroying it a little more with the "summoned" Ragnarok. The party resisted this plan with every fiber of their beings ... by implementing it exactly as instructed. And then they are saved by the bell. It's all just a dream. Look, Mario is still sleeping!

It's magic. All of it. No more questions!

Basically Square has no writing talent left. I'd have taken an Amano illustration of a middle finger plus the words "Thanks for playing!" and not felt a difference.

Dysley/Barthandelus is secretly Eden ... or rather Eden's astral projection roaming the world, ruling Cocoon and all. Eden/Dysley/Barthandelus wants to die but can't suicide, so it lures the party in to finish him/it/whateverself.

The party of course wants to save Cocoon, which they do by destroying Cocoon. You see, they know killing Eden will end their world. Dysley told them, and truthfully so. The party avoids interference by going there and attacking!

After the party destroys Cocoon in a sort of willful accident, Vanille and Fang both succumb to their "focus" to more-destroy Cocoon and transform into Ragnarok, destroyer of worlds, especially Cocoon. But because they are good people at heart, they instead prevent Cocoon's fatal crash to the planet's surface using the power of their current form.

Then everybody turns to crystal, an unknown number of centuries passes, then they turn back to human form all together and meet up and party. Thankfully, the crystal outcroppings supporting Cocoon's place in the sky stay solid.

Apparently the big plot was to destroy Cocoon by letting it fall to the surface and ... then ... destroying it a little more with the "summoned" Ragnarok. The party resisted this plan with every fiber of their beings ... by implementing it exactly as instructed. And then they are saved by the bell. It's all just a dream. Look, Mario is still sleeping!

It's magic. All of it. No more questions!

Basically Square has no writing talent left. I'd have taken an Amano illustration of a middle finger plus the words "Thanks for playing!" and not felt a difference.

You made me LOL like a buffoon at my work desk. Well done :D

Hey guys, just a question:
is there an easy mode in this game?

I don't like this strategic stuff so much, but I want to see the graphics!

No easy mode I'm afraid, but the game doesn't really get challenging until the final few chapters where there's a rather noticeable difficulty spike. You can slow down the battle system if you want to. That gives you a bit more time for decision making, but it will also affect your battle rankings negatively. Battles that run on a timer like the Eidolon encounters will be tougher. You can always switch back to normal speed though.

Back