• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
AFAIK Blizzard stated they won't be supporting eyefinity due to advantage in player vs player.

Bah, that's disappointing although understandable, since SC is still being used in professional competition in South Korea.

Companies used to use the same reason to not implement proper widescreen support in games also though. So hopefully this will eventually change.

Either that, or hopefully there will be a way to implement it in single player, but not in multiplayer.

Regards,
SB

Errr, that would result in nothing getting benefit and the performance is even lower. You won't save on memory costs if you want 1GB designs (who doesn't?) because you still need 8 devices and the savings at the board level don't translate exactly as you need to go to a x16 design.
Well, certainly if you disable half the rops. I was suggesting disabling 1/4 however. Why do you absolutely need 1GB? Sure it might hit some memory limited situations with 768MB ram. So what? Judged by performance it looks to me like the 5830 is meant at least as much to get rid of the garbage bin as really filling that price slot between HD5770/HD5850. And I'm pretty sure performance would be quite a bit better with 24 rops / 192bit memory / 768MB ram, unless in situations it hits memory limits (which arguably would be the case sometimes even in resolutions/AA settings it could handle otherwise), but people wanting more memory could always get the HD5850 (granted from a marketing point of view that could make the card look inferior to a HD5770 for a lot of people, in some ways it certainly would be but that's still better than what it is today where it's hardly any faster than the HD5770 consistently). Would even be cheaper that way even if pcb layout doesn't really save much would at least save 2 memory chips.

Do you have any details?

Nothing more than that AMD is really happy about Cypress' current yields.

In fact they are now in a situation where the supply outstrips the demand (if you can't get a Cypress card right now, it's because your AIB isn't ordering enough.

I'd say whatever AMD is doing with their current parts should show up in the market in April/May (as a new product and not yet Hecatoncheires/HD6XXX, there basically is no need for such a product in the short term!)

Nothing more than that AMD is really happy about Cypress' current yields.

In fact they are now in a situation where the supply outstrips the demand (if you can't get a Cypress card right now, it's because your AIB isn't ordering enough.

I'd say whatever AMD is doing with their current parts should show up in the market in April/May (as a new product and not yet Hecatoncheires/HD6XXX, there basically is no need for such a product in the short term!)

Silicon respin?

Why would you respin a great part and competition no where in sight? Especially if you have great yields, newer drivers and possibly higher clocked parts ready to ambush them.

:oops: AMD is really going to be kicking Nvidia in the nuts for the next few quarters. Repeatedly. And often.

While I may not agree to that full extent, I definitely agree with the :oops:

That's a LOT of oomph; my 5850 at 775 is already phenominal for what I need. I can't imagine having that kind of grunt on a 2GB single card. Or two :D

Why would you respin a great part and competition no where in sight? Especially if you have great yields, newer drivers and possibly higher clocked parts ready to ambush them.

1 - Because you can.
2 - To get higher clocks, or better yields, or lower power draw... or any combination of that.

I doubt Cypress's yields (at least for the current spin, A12 I think) are that good, otherwise there would be no need for the 5830.

So my interpretation of Neliz's post is that AMD respan Cypress and is now enjoying higher clocks and better yields, à la RV790.

1 - Because you can.
2 - To get higher clocks, or better yields, or lower power draw... or any combination of that.

I doubt Cypress's yields (at least for the current spin, A12 I think) are that good, otherwise there would be no need for the 5830.

So my interpretation of Neliz's post is that AMD respan Cypress and is now enjoying higher clocks and better yields, à la RV790.

Yes, I can't imagine 1150MHz from Cypress first spin solely due to manufacturing improvements (other than it was totally broken).
My card (first retail batch in UK) can do 1100MHz @1.31V, but this is not 24/7 stable, just stable enough for benchmark or two, some half an hour crunching maybe ...

If over 1.1GHz core will be possible on AIB OC cards (stock) then HD5890 is worth upgrading to (especially if it will sport 2GB frame buffer) :p

While I may not agree to that full extent, I definitely agree with the :oops:

That's a LOT of oomph; my 5850 at 775 is already phenominal for what I need. I can't imagine having that kind of grunt on a 2GB single card. Or two :D

Silly, they're competing in the hairdryer market. ;)

I think 5890 is quite unlikely, considering that everyone is now bringing the OC'd 5870's?

Seriously? WOW.

Yes, but this wasn't really news was it?

We have Lightnings running at about 1150-1175 with stock cooling (Twin Frozr II). Of course it helps that the cooling is pretty good, we use custom PCB with extra layers as well as add 15 phases PWM and added 2x 8 pins power connectors. :p

But it depends really on the GPU sample. I've also seen a R5870 Lightning hardly be able to reach 1000Mhz (early sample)... so 1100+ isn't for everyone although the latest batch should hit it pretty easily.

But ASUS ROG 5870 is said to come at 894MHz, MSI Lightning is at 900MHz and Gigabytes "superoverclocked" comes at 950MHz?

That's the nicest thing about marketing "OCready" editions compared to speed-grades like HD4890, right? You don't need to guarantee high clocks, only show they're achievable "on a regular basis". :)

Back