• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
looks like the core will overclock to 950mhz and the ram will hit 1500. Wonder how that will perform. I still want to see tests against the 5770 and the 4890.

AMD's REAL answer to GeForce GTX 480: Enhanced ATI Radeon HD 5970 with custom designs from AIBs:

20100225ares.jpg

20100225ares3.png

AMD will be offering new board spec to AIBs including Dual Cypress XT ultra low leakage GPU’s. One of the first models will be Asus ROG ARES which will feature 850MHz core clock, 1200MHz memory clock and 4GB of GDDR5. Asus ROG ARES thermal specification includes 100mm wide fan, 32mm thick, 600% higher air-flow, 100% pure copper and 8 ultra-wide heat-pipes. Also the noise level should be significantly lower @ 4200rpm; ARES 37dB; ref hemlock; 44,5dB.

Asus says performance in 3DMark Vantage Extreme-preset is ~28% better than ATI Radeon HD 5970 reference design.

Asus ROG ARES will be Limited Edition and on display at Cebit.

Source: Finnish hardware site Muropaketti.com

PS. Real pics of PCB & cooling solution coming tomorrow, stay tuned.

AMD's REAL answer to GeForce GTX 480: Enhanced ATI Radeon HD 5970 with custom designs from AIBs:

PS. Real pics of PCB & cooling solution coming tomorrow, stay tuned.

As long as it doesn't get as warm as the MARS and.. like the mars have a 80% faiure rate, it's cool with me.

P.S. 2GB per GPU = win.

As long as it doesn't get as warm as the MARS and.. like the mars have a 80% faiure rate, it's cool with me.

P.S. 2GB per GPU = win.

Like I said, one of the first will be from Asus, other manufactures might follow soon with their own designs or based on AMD's recommendation spec (of enhanced 5970).

I want to stress that Asus ROG ARES is based on their own design, not on AMD's recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said, one of the first will be from Asus, other manufactures should follow soon with their own designs or based on AMD's recommendation spec (of enhanced 5970)..

I feel that, In a couple of hours, I will see a MSI HD5970 Lightning posted here as well. .since that's when the NDA expires of those things.. right?

Neliz: Ehh... 5870 or 5970 lighting? 900mhz doesn't sound like huge (I know the card physical is), but 188w doesn't sound quuite right for 5970 either ;)

Wonder what the TDP of that Asus ROG ARES is..

The 5830 reviews are bitching the price everywhere. In which case i agree :LOL:.
If u take into consideration than the 5870 PCB lenght (its much bigger than the 5850 !! wtf) and the power consumption than at that price/performance its realy meh.

AMD/ATI could realy add together how many 4xxx series they sold at those price points and think again what are the reasons and benefits to upgrade to the 5K series with 5850 running at 260-280 EUR here in europe.
With fermi in clouds those prices are clearly aimed at undecided nvidia users and new computers to maximize earnings. Anyway we can wait for the 6k series(and maybe better tesselation) and skip the 5k radeons.:???:

Maybe AMD/ATI cant lower the prices with the quality of TSMC-s 40nm even if they wanted it.

In anandtechs review they also mention this :

And while we’re on the subject of supplies, we asked AMD what the continuing supply of the 5830 would be given that it’s a product of die harvesting, and the supply of its precursor the 4830 thinned out after some time. AMD tells us that they expect to be able to produce the 5830 in similar quantities as the 5850, which should give you an idea in relative terms of how many Cypress chips are coming back with 1-2 defective SIMDs or are missing clock targets, versus the number of chips coming back with 3-6 defective SIMDs or a defective ROP.

It seems that the 40nm TSMC is realy fucked up compared to the 55nm.

And from the chinese translated review http://translate.google.cn/translate...&sl=auto&tl=en those cores are after the "improved" yealds not from old wafers:

RadeonHD5830 core adoption and RadeonHD5850/5870 like Cypress core using 40nm process technology, with 1120 stream processing units, operating frequency 800MHz. RadeonHD5830 the core piece of the production cycle in 2010 the first 2 weeks, compared with, RadeonHD5850/5870 the first batch of chips for the 2009 production cycle of about 37 weeks, showing that the core of the cycle RadeonHD5830 fairly new.

I feel that 5830 has been launched for AIB's to come up with custom parts so that both of them can make money while the competition puts it's pants on. By the time it is ready and ready to battle, it'll be back to it's "normal" price and there will be a wide variety to choose from.

Here is a pic of Asus ROG ARES PCB:

edit: too late :)

8+8+6 PCI Express connectors so (150 + 150 + 75 + 75W = 450W), all Volterra controlled power circuits: each GPU and memory, the whole PCB will be covered by a copper heat spreader that connects with the memory ICs. The power circuits will each be cooled by a individual copper profile. All thermal profiles (heat sinks) will be anodized black.

This is Asus' own design from ground.

The 5830 reviews are bitching the price everywhere. In which case i agree :LOL:.
If u take into consideration than the 5870 PCB lenght (its much bigger than the 5850 !! wtf) and the power consumption than at that price/performance its realy meh.

so that's a crippled 5870, just like the 4730 was a crippled 4870?
similar deal if 5830's price drops later. the 4730 has extremely high performance for its price but very high power use too.
price of a geforce GT220 :oops:, performance of a 4850 and heat of a high end card.

Back