Supposed MS insider discusses RRoD errors, Falcon at 10% failure rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am bored to read the whole thread to search if my question is answered.

But are the new models "safe"?

I am going to buy a 360 this year or at the beginning of the next and I want to be sure
'

The anecdotal incidence of failure regarding newer models (late 2007/2008) has greatly reduced. That combined with their 3 year warranty seems like a safe buy to me.

I dont want to face the hassle of having my console taken by UPS and then wait for weeks to get it back fearing it will give me the RROD again. This is exactly the situation of one of my friends right now

Hence the Best Buy replacement plan. Take it back to the store, swap it for a new one right then and there. They even let me keep my old hard drive, so I didn't have to re-download everything.

Hence the Best Buy replacement plan. Take it back to the store, swap it for a new one right then and there. They even let me keep my old hard drive, so I didn't have to re-download everything.

I could swear I've read that Best Buy refuses to take back broken 360's now because of the extreme hassle.

Well I am not in the US though. So Best Buy's replacement plan doesnt count for me. My friend's 360 was taken by UPS sent to a Microsoft agency and then they sent back to him a new one (or atleast we think its a new one) and he fears that it may get a RROD again.

The model they sent him is not one of the newest ones because it still lacks the HDMI port

Well I am not in the US though. So Best Buy's replacement plan doesnt count for me. My friend's 360 was taken by UPS sent to a Microsoft agency and then they sent back to him a new one (or atleast we think its a new one) and he fears that it may get a RROD again.

The model they sent him is not one of the newest ones because it still lacks the HDMI port

Did the model he sent in have HDMI? They shouldn't be replacing new models with older ones.

If you don't want to ever be faced with the problem of something breaking, I suggest you just rent, because the simple fact is that there are no guarantees that you won't have an issue with any product.

A 3 year warranty is about as good as you're going to get on any electronics. The turn around is ~5 days if you provide your own box, it's annoying, but I don't see it as a big deal.

Quite likely its one of the newer OPUS variants which have a Falcon motherboard but no HDMI ports. He doesn't have to worry about it.

If you don't want to ever be faced with the problem of something breaking, I suggest you just rent, because the simple fact is that there are no guarantees that you won't have an issue with any product.

A 3 year warranty is about as good as you're going to get on any electronics. The turn around is ~5 days if you provide your own box, it's annoying, but I don't see it as a big deal.

It´s true that there isn´t any certains in the world of electronics. But don´t you think it´s pretty amazing that a consumer like you accepts that his purchase will likely break within 3 years "but it´s not a problem" because it only takes 5 days to get it fixed?

I got stuff at home that have run for way longer than 3 years and i don´t think i am expecting to much when i say "it better do so".

On the article itself, Microsoft did a good job on keeping this under control, and by control i mean PR spin, this board has plenty of examples of people that didn´t believe that there was a problem. I don´t blame them when the maker itself wouldn´t say the truth but rather kept on selling stuff they knew didn´t work.

It´s true that there isn´t any certains in the world of electronics. But don´t you think it´s pretty amazing that a consumer like you accepts that his purchase will likely break within 3 years "but it´s not a problem" because it only takes 5 days to get it fixed?

No, it's not a big problem because it can get fixed for free and the turn around isn't that long. And I never said it will break, I said it might. If you have different expectations from other products you're just going to be disappointed in the long run.

I got stuff at home that have run for way longer than 3 years and i don´t think i am expecting to much when i say "it better do so".

Or what? You'll jump up and down and stomp your feet? You'll go into emo rage all over the internet? Seriously. It's going to happen eventually, and when it does you'll probably do what most people do, go buy a new one.

No, it's not a big problem because it can get fixed for free and the turn around isn't that long. And I never said it will break, I said it might. If you have different expectations from other products you're just going to be disappointed in the long run.

Nothing lasts forever, but for consoles it should be expected to last at least during it´s intended use/generation.

Or what? You'll jump up and down and stomp your feet? You'll go into emo rage all over the internet? Seriously. It's going to happen eventually, and when it does you'll probably do what most people do, go buy a new one.

If something breaks earlier than i think should be expected, i don´t buy their shit again it´s really easy, Denon for example, i used to be a big fan of their CD-Players but i had two fail shortly after i bought them (within 2 years).

And whats with the snide remark about going emo?

I dont want to face the hassle of having my console taken by UPS and then wait for weeks to get it back fearing it will give me the RROD again. This is exactly the situation of one of my friends right now
Same here, I'm waiting for the jasper and returns about how they fare.
I hope some sites we do some "crash tests" to test the reliability.
Till then MS won't count me as a client.

Last edited by a moderator:
If something breaks earlier than i think should be expected, i don´t buy their shit again it´s really easy, Denon for example, i used to be a big fan of their CD-Players but i had two fail shortly after i bought them (within 2 years).

It's one thing when you have a variety of manufacturers making systems that all play the same media, like a CD player, but it's different when the machine plays proprietary software and the only way you can play it is with that machine.

I'm not sure why this concept is so hard to grasp for some of you guys, over 3 years I'll probably put in >1000 hours on the system, playing games I enjoy and having a good time.

Is it that hard to understand why I might be willing to accept a 2-3 week downtime in a worst case scenario yet still take the risk? It's not like it's going to cost me any extra money.

Worst case scenario I'm out a console for a month or so. Opposed to never having that console at all, it's an easy decision.

scooby, what you have there is not the worst case scenario. There are larger consumer issues at stake if the behaviour/trend is encouraged.

Nothing lasts forever, but for consoles it should be expected to last at least during it´s intended use/generation.

You're welcome to have whatever expectations you want, but the fact is MS is the only one guaranteeing you even 3 years.

Yep, and yet they are still a fairly well thought of brand aren't they? Many people have a story of a particular brand they've had trouble with and won't buy again.

And whats with the snide remark about going emo?
It seemed appropriate regarding "it better do so". I can just see the major electronics manufacturers of the world cowering in terror.

You're welcome to have whatever expectations you want, but the fact is MS is the only one guaranteeing you even 3 years.
That's actually a significant point. PS3 and Wii may be on average expected to last longer, but if you're unlucky and you do get a faulty unit, what gaurantees have you got? Although doesn't the MS 3 year policy only apply to RROD, and not things like disk failures?

It seemed appropriate...
Silly personal digs aren't ever appropriate on this board unless you are just joking around and don't really mean them, and aim to make that obvious in your post.

scooby, what you have there is not the worst case scenario. There are larger consumer issues at stake if the behaviour/trend is encouraged.

Well for me personally, that is the worst case scenario.

In a broader sense, how is it being 'encouraged'? MS is out > $1billion, it has injured their sales significantly, and overall has been a massive black-eye for the division. I'm pretty sure MS will be trying pretty darn hard not to have this happen again next time around.

Of course I wouldn't be in favour of giving them a free pass, but there comes a point when you have to put things into a little perspective. Should anything happen they are going to replace my console, for free, with basically no-hassles, that's a good deal for me, and I'm not going to miss out on a bunch of great games in order to make some sort of 'statement', it's just not worth it to me.

That's actually a significant point. PS3 and Wii may be on average expected to last longer, but if you're unlucky and you do get a faulty unit, what gaurantees have you got?

Well, in my case I've been told I'm SOL if my PS3 breaks down, I bought one of the 80GB ones with BC, and apparently they wouldn't even be able to repair it if it fails because those models are being discontinued*

So I would be out $440. If you want to talk about major potential for dis-satisfaction it would be something like that.

*Not really sure if this is the truth, or if it was BS.

This worked out great for me. In fact, I re-upped for 2 more years @ $60. Normally, I never recommend these warranty programs. But in this case, it was totally worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back