Supposed MS insider discusses RRoD errors, Falcon at 10% failure rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He seems to know enough but it doesnt mean that everything he says is true or unbiased (soon to be ex employee?)

It's good for a chuckle.

Q: So do you play games?
Just a little. I lack the hardware abstraction layer in my brain that allows me to translate body motion into controller commands. If I am playing a racing game and I want to turn right I tend to turn the controller to the right. Just like the Wii. Funny thing. In the middle of '03 I tried to convince our director of "innovation" that we needed to do motion control, simple and intuitive controllers, and focus on family oriented and just plain fun content. Well before the Wii came out. He completely disregarded it. Oh well. I bet they wish they had that decision back as a do over.

I found especially amusing.

I think given 2 years of development they should have gotten the failure rate down to normal levels by now!!! Surely given the problems of the past a lot of effort must have gone into solving them?

B.T.W whats the failure rate of the original PS2?

I think given 2 years of development they should have gotten the failure rate down to normal levels by now!!! Surely given the problems of the past a lot of effort must have gone into solving them?

B.T.W whats the failure rate of the original PS2?

Maybe another thread if you want to focus on the PS2 or we end up with a "vs" thread.

The main issue (imho) with the 360 is that people have in some cases gone through 5! repairs and in extreme cases 11!

In my view that is a total meltdown when it comes to quality control and customer satisfaction.

All I can speak to personally is my case. My launch unit failed in I believe, around summer of 2007. After two weeks, I got a different replacement unit, that one has worked flawlessly since then, and I have accidentally left it on overnight and things like that before.

One thing is, I got my replacement right around the time the new heatsink came in. But when I checked, it turned out I did not have it. Yet still, it works fine.

I really dont worry about it much, because the replacement proccess is easy, fast, and free. It's REALLY not that much of a bother, at least in my case and so I assume if I ever have to do it again.

Although it probably would be pretty annoying if it ever fails JUST after I get a new game or something.

Anyway, the article kind of rings true to me, although then again it doesn't really say anything specific either.

How about the mission statement of the Xbox group?

What many suspected all along.

Also interesting is his claim that MS is going into consumer electronics in a big way.

Suppose it's true, then did MS make mistakes in bringing such a defective product to market, or not fixing it better or sooner? After all, they are sort of winning. Would you have made different choices?

Suppose it's true, then did MS make mistakes in bringing such a defective product to market, or not fixing it better or sooner? After all, they are sort of winning. Would you have made different choices?

I think the question is - why aren't consumers and media making a much bigger steam about it. Imagine if Sony had the same failure rate with its expensive box...crusifixation times two?

Oddly/luckily - we haven't been able to see this high failure rate in attach rates. If microsoft is counting replacement units as newly sold models, you'd expect to see a low(er) attach rate. But since other consoles have attach rates so much lower than the Xbox 360, it's hard to see whether this is the case.

Still - what is it about games machines that makes consumers so less angry? I guess the main media isn't so much interested about it...if 30% of an HDTV model failed, the TV would be taken off the market.

So Microsoft took the risk, and I say they've been very lucky - and may have done a lot of research into past games consoles that failed considerably, but didnt get too much flack (eg. PS2)

edit: rephrased

Last edited by a moderator:
Oddly/luckily - we can't see the results of this high failure rate in game sales. Ie. Microsoft will be counting replacement units as newly sold models (with 30% failure rate, and say half of those being replacement units - you've got 3million less Xbox 360 owners). The Xbox 360 remains to have one of the highest attach rates of any console ever produced.

What??? If they'd count replacements as newly sold, it'd make the attach rate worse, as it's number of machines / number of software.

What??? If they'd count replacements as newly sold, it'd make the attach rate worse, as it's number of machines / number of software.

I know it does Laa-Yosh. I'm saying it's odd that the attach rate is so high, and that Microsoft neednt worry about these failure rates because the console has such a high attach rate compared to other consoles. I'm saying that 360 owners are compensating for this 3million replacement units by buying more (ie. real attach rate is higher than 7/1)

That's unless you don't think Microsoft includes replacement units as sales. Which is also a possibility...how could we know?

I
Oddly/luckily - we can't see the results of this high failure rate in game sales. Ie. Microsoft will be counting replacement units as newly sold models (with 30% failure rate, and say half of those being replacement units - you've got 3million less Xbox 360 owners). The Xbox 360 remains to have one of the highest attach rates of any console ever produced.

Um, if your counting replacement units as sold, yo uare lowering your software attach rate, not rising it.

I think the question is - why aren't consumers and media making a much bigger steam about it.

A) There was a huge steam about it last year, resulting in a $1billion write-off.

B) There's absolutely no evidence, other than an anonymous forum post, that the 10% rate for Falcon is legit.

I see alot of people already have their pitchforks out, when this is essentially a baseless rumour.

Um, if your counting replacement units as sold, yo uare lowering your software attach rate, not rising it.

I know. I didn't say that you were rising it. I was saying the console attach rate is so high that there is no way you could see that replacement units are counted as sales.

SO both of you think Microsoft do not count replacement units as sales. Fair enough.

A) There was a huge steam about it last year, resulting in a $1billion write-off.

B) There's absolutely no evidence, other than an anonymous forum post, that the 10% rate for Falcon is legit.

I see alot of people already have their pitchforks out, when this is essentially a baseless rumour.

The 10% may well be. In most other markets a high failure rate would mean consumers wouldn't buy the product, and would tell their friends not to buy the product. Why does the opposite happen in games consoles?

Much better than nothing at all. I got replaced for falcon at a games store for free as well!
I can't see myself exchanging a console several times. Surely they give you brand new one in third or fourth replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back