Uncharted : Drake's Fortune*

i wouldn't call 9 hours short, thats pretty typical for the genre. i think you should space your gaming out a little more, 9 hours in one sitting is quite a long time. the longest i've played a game was for 3 or maybe 4 hours. but usually in one sitting, i play a game for 1-2 hours.

I don't play games so often anymore, but when I do and if I have the time, I'll sit for hours :p

Game is really great and impressive

But I have the impression that the data is streamed of the bluray, not the hdd - sometimes texture data isn't loaded on time
It's similiar situation as in Ratchet & Clank... (and GeoW on the xO)
So what the hdd is for? I thought it is one of the main advantages over the competition...

I don't exactly know how caching works, but... it wouldn't really work to pre-copy all the texture data to the HDD, would it? You'd then have to wait for several minutes before you're able to play, as this means several gigabytes of data.

It makes more sense to copy stuff on demand, like when the game first loads a texture, it saves it to the HDD as well, and keeps it there until it has filled up the cache, when it'll start to throw out the least used files. Or something like that.

I don't exactly know how caching works, but... it wouldn't really work to pre-copy all the texture data to the HDD, would it? You'd then have to wait for several minutes before you're able to play, as this means several gigabytes of data.

It makes more sense to copy stuff on demand, like when the game first loads a texture, it saves it to the HDD as well, and keeps it there until it has filled up the cache, when it'll start to throw out the least used files. Or something like that.

Or just preload all the textures on the HDD? or store the most used ones?

Most used ones will still show texture pop-in when uncommon textures are loaded. Preloading all of them could involve a lot of copying to HDD meaning big load times. Some smart compromise is needed of prefetching, caching on demand and storing by frequency of access.

Most used ones will still show texture pop-in when uncommon textures are loaded. Preloading all of them could involve a lot of copying to HDD meaning big load times. Some smart compromise is needed of prefetching, caching on demand and storing by frequency of access.

What about a proper install of all the textures then?

Or just preload all the textures on the HDD? or store the most used ones?

Preloading takes a lot of time. We're talking about a few minutes per gigabytes of data, noone's really willing to wait that long before being able to play the game...

What about a proper install of all the textures then?
5GB installs? (Uncharted's pushing the 25GB limit and I presume a lot of that is the textures). To solve occasional texture pop-in, I doubt the trade off is considered worth it. We console gamers want to put in a disc and play, rather than go through install processes, even if hidden to be a 5 minute initial load. You either have like 5 minutes copying everything before the gamer gets to play, or 1 minute copying whenever they enter a new area with different textures, or 20 seconds as major textures are copied and a bit of pop-in, or background HDD caching at no extra load times but with a bit more texture pop. Everything's a trade.

Why do so many people think HDD caching will solve texture pop-in?

How far can a character travel in ~1 second, which is the difference in loading a large 10MB texture from disc as opposed to loading from HDD? If a game engine is capable of loading textures from the HDD cache before they're visible, resulting in seamless loading, then at worst the optical drive latency (in a system without the HDD cache) would let you barely see texture pop-in at the farthest area on screen.

The best you can do with HDD caching is just reduce the time to complete the pop-in when transitioning to an area with lots more data (e.g. a new level).

In other words, an HDD cache only makes a big diffence in areas that the developer isn't trying to do seamless, transparent asset streaming.

I forgot how big this game really is (full bd disc) and how much diffrent and detailed textures we can see when playing it... I made my opinion about streaming of bd disc because there were no texture pop-ups in the demo, when they are present in the same scenes in the full game.

I'm 6 hours into the game and so far it's the best looking game I've ever played

Well, on "The 25 Go" you have to remove 102 minutes of HD Video (http://www.psu.com/PSU-talks-Uncharted-with-Naughty-Dog-Co-Vice-President--a0001851-p2.php) so depend of the codec and bitrate, it can take some amount of Go. 86min on Mpeg2 HD take all the blu-ray so 25 Go, in H.264 you can expect around a 2 times less, so 102 minutes on H.264 take around 15 Go, all right it's for 1080p so in 720p take 7,5 Go.
Seven langages and sound with no compression also more Go (base on the 1O Go of HS), take 5Go.
So you got only 12,5 Go for game and with redundancy for better loading times…

So all this to only one goal (not depreciated PS3 or Blu-ray) but the quality of the textures is not the fact of the "Blu-ray"(some people thinking it's the Holy Graal of the gaming, next to Holographic support…) but of the Talent of Artists and Devs!;)
Great work ND!

Well, on "The 25 Go" you have to remove 102 minutes of HD Video (http://www.psu.com/PSU-talks-Uncharted-with-Naughty-Dog-Co-Vice-President--a0001851-p2.php) so depend of the codec and bitrate, it can take some amount of Go. 86min on Mpeg2 HD take all the blu-ray so 25 Go, in H.264 you can expect around a 2 times less, so 102 minutes on H.264 take around 15 Go, all right it's for 1080p so in 720p take 7,5 Go.
Seven langages and sound with no compression also more Go (base on the 1O Go of HS), take 5Go.
So you got only 12,5 Go for game and with redundancy for better loading times…

So all this to only one goal (not depreciated PS3 or Blu-ray) but the quality of the textures is not the fact of the "Blu-ray"(some people thinking it's the Holy Graal of the gaming, next to Holographic support…) but of the Talent of Artists and Devs!;)
Great work ND!

Are you sure, that cut scenes are not the real time, because they look like it...
For example I spotted some texture clipping...
Or it is the same situation as in Heavenly sword which have recorded real time cut scenes

Are you sure, that cut scenes are not the real time, because they look like it...
For example I spotted some texture clipping...
Or it is the same situation as in Heavenly sword which have recorded real time cut scenes

They are videos rendered in engine (with maximised shadow quality).

Some scenes are, which can be skipped and the costumes won't apply

Some scenes aren't pre- rendered, which can't be skipped. In these scenes, the costumes DO apply.

Finally beat the game. Took a little under 8hours total.

The mummy stuff was a turn off. I'd say the last 20-25% of the game goes downhill due to the mummy stuff (reminded me how FarCry went down when the Trigen mutants were introduced). The whole real bad guy twist was unncessary. The English guy was a good villian and should've stuck it out with him. The puzzles difficulty remainded the same throughout the game, just you have to do a lot more jumping around. Pull a lever here, a lever there and so on. Still, the game was fun overall and certainly highly recommended to anyone who owns a PS3.

Back