PS3 sales numbers

Do you have any links to back these ridiculous statements?

Well, NPD only, this does not take into account worldwide sales, December 360 was 1.1 million.

PS3 to date NPD is about 1.45 million. So it's somewhat close but clearly ahead.

WW PS3 sales are probably like 2.5-3.0 million. I cant see 360 matching that in December either. Allowing for 600,000 EU sales puts total 360 in Dec at maybe 1.7 million. Maybe 1.9 if you add the rest of the world.

As for three times inventory statement, again pretty sure false. I''m not sure but Sony probably has 3 million inventory or something, which again if they've sold 3 or even 2.5 m doesn't get you close to a 3x.

Well, NPD only, this does not take into account worldwide sales, December 360 was 1.1 million.

PS3 to date NPD is about 1.45 million. So it's somewhat close but clearly ahead.

WW PS3 sales are probably like 2.5-3.0 million. I cant see 360 matching that in December either. Allowing for 600,000 EU sales puts total 360 in Dec at maybe 1.7 million. Maybe 1.9 if you add the rest of the world.

As for three times inventory statement, again pretty sure false. I''m not sure but Sony probably has 3 million inventory or something, which again if they've sold 3 or even 2.5 m doesn't get you close to a 3x.

So 1.1m is still less than 3m and 2.5m is still less than 6m (3x)? Thanks for the numbers.

Another thing: Sony is going to need a serious bump in production to meet that 11 million target. Their inventory increased by 400K units with sales of 720K, indicating a production rate of roughly 370K units per month. Now, even if we include stocked inventory, they'll still have to ramp production to almost 900K units a month to match the estimate.

That might hint at one or two things. Either they're pretty delusional, or they have a revised model with serious cost and production efficiency improvements ready to go sooner rather than later (thus the price cut on the old 60GB warehouse-bulging edition).

Me, I'd tend towards guessing at the former.

I dont see how Sony can just cut prices generally any faster than MS..so if it gets to that kind of firesale I think they can be matched blow for blow. Hell, it is 360 we forget (amidst all this expensive repair fiasco, which should be getting straightened out) that should have the massive cost advantage, having already shipped ~12 million, and having what should be cheaper components all around. And dont forget PS3 has that built in hard drive to contend with, where MS has the core unit.

There's a lot more cost fat on the PS3 to trim than there is on the 360, and Sony has a wealth of experience in refactoring hardware engineering to reduce costs.

There's a lot more cost fat on the PS3 to trim than there is on the 360, and Sony has a wealth of experience in refactoring hardware engineering to reduce costs.

True, but I don't think this will ever be able to add up to the PS3 being as cheap to manufacture as the 360, which was the point. The 360 will perpetually be profitable or at least break-even at price points that would force Sony (if they matched them) to sell at a loss.

The hope is, if you're Sony, that you can get people to perceive that they are getting sufficient added value for the extra money.

Lastly, on the subject of the 360's '08 lineup, I think that it seems thin now only because MS don't see a need to push those games yet. I fully expect that once we get past this holiday season we will start getting hints on what MS has in store for '08. At this point I think it's pretty safe to say that Sony will have by far a stronger first 1/2 of '08 lineup. But what about holiday '08 when having a strong lineup can have the most impact on hardware sales? We have no idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you serious?? The 360 sold more in one month (Dec 2006) then the PS3 in its entire lifetime.

Sony is sitting on 3 times as much inventory as it has sold.

They have a big hill to climb regardless of anything else.

Can you explain to us how you did you sums? I'm genuinely interested.

True, but I don't think this will ever be able to add up to the PS3 being as cheap to manufacture as the 360, which was the point. The 360 will perpetually be profitable or at least break-even at price points that would force Sony (if they matched them) to sell at a loss.

The hope is, if you're Sony, that you can get people to perceive that they are getting sufficient added value for the extra money.
Selling at a loss isn't a big deal if you've lots of other revenue streams. Download content should be a good earner. BRD movies won't be too shabby in returns. Where PS2 only had games to make a profit back on, and it made Sony lots of money, PS3 adds more opportunities. So pricing more aggressively is something Sony are in at least as a good a position as MS. Especially as MS seem very conservative in that respect so far.

True, Sony has used more and more expensive components compared to MS, but Sony is producing a number of the major and most costly components themselves besides having more experience re-engineering/design their consoles. By doing so they have more control of the end-to-end process and cutting out as many middle man as possible.

It says quarter one 2007.

Indeed it does. I even re-read it multiple times because it just seemed WAY to low. Hell even for a quarter it is low, but I was thinking LTD.

There goes to all that attention to detail...Still, not good numbers by any means.

Selling at a loss isn't a big deal if you've lots of other revenue streams. Download content should be a good earner. BRD movies won't be too shabby in returns. Where PS2 only had games to make a profit back on, and it made Sony lots of money, PS3 adds more opportunities. So pricing more aggressively is something Sony are in at least as a good a position as MS. Especially as MS seem very conservative in that respect so far.

I don't see this at all. MS has been at the forefront of generating alternative revenue streams all along. How can you possibly call them conservative? They have been the first to do everything and they have been very successful at it. I think they honestly even exceeded their own expectations with the video marketplace, for example. You are selling MSs current successes short if you just cede Sony an advantage here based on what they have the potential to do. The fact that Sony owns their own content certainly gives them an advantage in the media area, but until they are able to successfully leverage that in addition to developing relationships with 3rd parties like the ones MS already has they will be playing catch-up. And I don't expect MS to make it easy.

Let's put this in perspective. Right now, MS is taking on:

Sony and Nintendo in the video game console market
Apple in the portable media player/DLC market
Google in the online services market
All at the same time

Regardless of their level of success (or failure) in any of these pursuits if that shows any tendency for MS to be conservative, I shudder to think what an aggressive MS would do. :oops:

True, Sony has used more and more expensive components compared to MS, but Sony is producing a number of the major and most costly components themselves besides having more experience re-engineering/design their consoles. By doing so they have more control of the end-to-end process and cutting out as many middle man as possible.

True, but I don't think this will ever be able to add up to the PS3 being as cheap to manufacture as the 360, which was the point.
;)

I don't see this at all. MS has been at the forefront of generating alternative revenue streams all along. How can you possibly call them conservative?
I was talking about pricing...

So pricing more aggressively is something Sony are in at least as a good a position as MS. Especially as MS seem very conservative in that respect so far

Does anyone think MS have been pricing XB360 aggressively? Whatever opportunities MS have developed for alternative revenue streams, they're not using them to price their hardware at mainstream prices.

Problem of analyzing the PS3 is that you've got to address its impact in the HD format war. PS3 is key for Sony, much more so than just as a game console.

Personally, I see many possible outcomes, and in the most probable of them, Sony wins big (as in blu-ray royalties for years to come).

It's actually sad it is priced so high, cause it's a fantastic machine.

The fantastic machine part will stay, but the price won't. ;)

Problem of analyzing the PS3 is that you've got to address its impact in the HD format war. PS3 is key for Sony, much more so than just as a game console.

Personally, I see many possible outcomes, and in the most probable of them, Sony wins big (as in blu-ray royalties for years to come).

It's actually sad it is priced so high, cause it's a fantastic machine.

Its always tend to be a catch 22. Due to the inclusion of BR, its priced higher then what it could have been, but it also opens doors for bigger games. Its not selling well due to the high price tag (and IMO content) which does not help it get more BR units out there in the wild.

Given PS3 is THE basket (with all the eggs) for Sony's BR and Gaming strategies, I can't see Sony not pulling all the stops in trying to make it a success. Thus the 11 mil by Apr 2008.

So if the recent (kinda) price cut does not have a medium term impact, expect another soon after or with a range of bundles.

I was talking about pricing...

So pricing more aggressively is something Sony are in at least as a good a position as MS. Especially as MS seem very conservative in that respect so far

Does anyone think MS have been pricing XB360 aggressively? Whatever opportunities MS have developed for alternative revenue streams, they're not using them to price their hardware at mainstream prices.

OK, I get what you were saying now. I took "in that respect" to refer to the revenue streams.

I still don't think it addresses the original point I made, though, which was that the PS3 will always be more expensive than the 360. Sony can't just be in "as good a position" as MS if they are going to overcome the initial disadvantage they have in cost of production.. They have to be in a better position.

Clearly, MS haven't been very aggressive on pricing with the 360 so far. My personal opinion is that the combination of their hardware reliability problems and the less than stellar showing by the PS3 caused them to make a deliberate decision to not try to move hardware aggressively until one of those 2 situations changed.

Back