Finally: VideoScan Releases High-Def Disc Sales Numbers

I don’t see those hardware supporters having much to complain about when the PS3 has helped them become more established.
Perhaps. It may just as easily make them estranged as they really have no niche for their products and no way to establish themselves in the market. Sony taking a loss with the PS3 means that standalone Blu-Ray will have to adopt a vulnerable price-point themselves to look like a value-proposition to the consumer. If Sony has to do it all by themselves (and win), this doesn't really help the others either if the market by then is all Sony.
I think content is king at the end of the day.
I agree. Actually I think that this is a core contribution of the PS3 right now - to keep jittery content providers in check by pointing to the PS3 having an impact and reversing the relative sales figures. To lure them away, I believe HD-DVD will have to signal that they're not going to quit anytime soon, and that they're likely to increase their installed base. Where there's revenue to be had, the content providers will follow. It's a bit of a chicken and the egg problem, but the promise of mainstream priced players may be the best chance HD-DVD has to negate some of the current Blu-Ray exclusivity advantage.

Maybe this is the thread that got me confused. Aren't those images taken by that website from another magazine?

What do you guys think of the possibility of Toshiba subsidising HD-DVD drives embedded in xb360?

If MS can get them for ~$50 instead of $25-30 for dvd drive I'd have to say they'd jump on it and if Toshiba can buildthem for less than $200 then that's a -$150 per console but also a guaranteed 8+ million potential HD-DVD players in the market per year.

Thoughts?

What do you guys think of the possibility of Toshiba subsidising HD-DVD drives embedded in xb360?

If MS can get them for ~$50 instead of $25-30 for dvd drive I'd have to say they'd jump on it and if Toshiba can buildthem for less than $200 then that's a -$150 per console but also a guaranteed 8+ million potential HD-DVD players in the market per year.

Thoughts?

Toshiba would love that possibility, but I don't think MS wants to be directly involved in this format war.

An HD-DVD in every xbox360 plan would probably piss off many existing xbox360 owners.

And a separate SKU that is a more expensive xbox but with an internal HD-DVD drive would probably sell more slowly that the external addon. Not that some people would not want one. I know I probably would.

Possibility? Slight to none as MS has publicly stated that they don't wish to include a format that might end up obsolete.

It's an interesting idea and one I wondered about myself, but for some reason, MS just doesn't want to go down that route. Not sure as to exactly why not...

Possibility? Slight to none as MS has publicly stated that they don't wish to include a format that might end up obsolete.

It's an interesting idea and one I wondered about myself, but for some reason, MS just doesn't want to go down that route. Not sure as to exactly why not...

I was certain Gates said he would be surprised if the xb360's didn't have an HD drive at the end of it's cycle. :???:

That could mean many things... The 360 already has a HD drive in fact... It's just separate. ;)

They could always do a bundle, buy the XTS get a free (or reduced price) HD-DVD drive. I think that would work quite well after a price drop. 229 for the core, 329 for the premium, and 399 for the premium with hd-dvd drive included (still separate unit though). Not really a new sku as they don' t have to actually change anything, just shrinkwrap the two boxes together. :???:

He did, but he didn't specify an HD-DVD drive. ;)

True but for whatever reason he has also leaned toward HD-DVD over Bluray so I'm sure if it is financially agreeable to MS that they would pull the trigger on embedding HD-DVD into XBox360 to secure it as a viable alternative. If for nothing more than to postpone the inevitable until digital distribution goes mainstream which they are pushing for currently in xb360.

edit - no luck on finding that interview but I did find this:

Bill_Gates_2005 said:
In terms of how we've balanced technology in the machine, we feel certain we've done a better job than Sony. You won't really know that until a year from now, when people are talking about how the games on our machines compare to the games on Sony's machines.
http://ps3.qj.net/Gates-Talks-Xbox-360-and-PS3/pg/49/aid/485

Last edited by a moderator:
They could always do a bundle, buy the XTS get a free (or reduced price) HD-DVD drive. I think that would work quite well after a price drop. 229 for the core, 329 for the premium, and 399 for the premium with hd-dvd drive included (still separate unit though). Not really a new sku as they don' t have to actually change anything, just shrinkwrap the two boxes together. :???:

Yeah that would be a good option. Amir of MS spoke about that possibility and the possibility of an internal HD DVD drive, but they don't have any plans for it at the moment. I could see them bundle the HD DVD drive after a price drop first then when the cost of the drive comes down even more they'll make it internal. I could see the built-in HD DVD drive sometime in 2009.

Yeah that would be a good option. Amir of MS spoke about that possibility and the possibility of an internal HD DVD drive, but they don't have any plans for it at the moment. I could see them bundle the HD DVD drive after a price drop first then when the cost of the drive comes down even more they'll make it internal. I could see the built-in HD DVD drive sometime in 2009.

The rumor of an internal HD-DVD is part of the reason why I waited on the 360 - maybe if I concentrate enough it will happen! Planning on picking one up when the cooler version debuts and just praying they'll include the HD-DVD drive.

The rumor of an internal HD-DVD is part of the reason why I waited on the 360 - maybe if I concentrate enough it will happen! Planning on picking one up when the cooler version debuts and just praying they'll include the HD-DVD drive.

IT will not happen. It would piss too many folks off... at least that is IMO

Why wait? The X360 is a very nice games machine. You could always sell it when the rumored HD DVD version comes out in 2009. ;)

Why wait? The X360 is a very nice games machine. You could always sell it when the rumored HD DVD version comes out in 2009. ;)

I could sell it but frankly I'm too lazy to do so. :) I really want the cooler (and hopefully quieter) though but yea, it's got some decent games for sure.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=9661899&&#post9661899
Week ended January 21, 2007
YTD: BD 100.00/ HD DVD 50.51
SI: BD 82.3/ HD DVD 100.00

Top 5 BD
1. Crank 100.00
2. Gridiron Gang 96.88
3. Black Hawk Down 92.35
4. Underworld: Evolution 84.46
5. Employee of the Month 71.86

Top 5 HD DVD
1. Clerks II 100.00
2. Batman Begins 90.04
3. The Mummy Returns 87.67
4. Lucky Number Slevin 72.84
5. Troy 45.61

This time around HD DVD outsold BR. Weird eh? A few factors for such volatile number include the very low quantites discs being sold for either Hi Def format and Best Buy's buy 1 get 1 free deal on BR the weeks prior.

Amazon Sales:

Last 30 days:

salesrank-1-1-recent30.jpg

Back