Sony Posts its numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been getting combo offers for over a year. In fact from what I can see the disney releases since 2007 have been 90% combo and same with pixar. Its really only the first pixar movies like cars out on the format that aren't combo disc.

Inception comes with bluray , dvd , dd , batman returns came with bluray , dvd and dd and so did avatar .

Seems like all the block busters are coming with combos because it makes them sell.

you allways avoid my question. When they sell a combo , is it a bluray sale , a dvd sale , a dd sale ? Which when does it count for or does it count for all 3 formats ?

If it only goes to bluray how can you not see that its meant to skew the data to make it look like its doing better.

Huh ? This is the first time I see this question. :LOL:

I'm afraid you have to ask the data collectors. I don't know the answer. My guess is they count it as a Blu-ray purchase, but not DD or DVD. Otherwise, DVD will always be 100%. Why would someone buy a Blu-ray just to get the highly restrictive digital copy ? Whether it makes Blu-ray data look better, I don't know. Once the buyer has more and more Blu-ray discs, they may buy a Blu-ray player. The studios want to grow Blu-ray pie since the consumers react better.

Personally, I never look at the DVD disc on all my Blu-ray bundles.

Also, not all releases are Blu-ray + DVD combo.

Disney offers a $10 coupon on the combos. Nothing for the DVD. The combos would have been $3 cheaper for me with the coupon.

Ah but Disney wants to nurture the slower family Blu-ray business. Once they convert, the family will buy more content. The dynamics of coupons are such that only price sensitive people will look out for them. I didn't use any coupons when I bought Disney movie. Now I know. ^_^

Titles like Inceptions are straight up Blu-ray's user profile. They are already buying more and more Blu-ray before Disney's offers.

Titles like Inceptions are straight up Blu-ray's user profile. They are already buying more and more Blu-ray before Disney's offers.

And they are giving away the digital download and the dvd version because all of their customers want it on blu-ray?

They are giving digital copy because consumers were promised Mandatory Managed Copy. It's a standin for a Blu-ray feature promised to rope HP into BDA. BTW, so they still owe us one feature.

A studio exec explained that the bundled DVD help to promote Blu-ray to families who want movies on their portable player (and players in the cars).

I don't know why consumers are complaining. Aren't you happy to get them ? :)

Huh ? This is the first time I see this question. :LOL:

I'm afraid you have to ask the data collectors. I don't know the answer. My guess is they count it as a Blu-ray purchase, but not DD or DVD. Otherwise, DVD will always be 100%. Why would someone buy a Blu-ray just to get the highly restrictive digital copy ? Whether it makes Blu-ray data look better, I don't know. Once the buyer has more and more Blu-ray discs, they may buy a Blu-ray player. The studios want to grow Blu-ray pie since the consumers react better.

Personally, I never look at the DVD disc on all my Blu-ray bundles.

Also, not all releases are Blu-ray + DVD combo.

Why would someone not ?

Expendables hd DD

http://social.zune.net/movies/The-Expendables/e8b26706-4074-4d9f-a630-c02f41f411e0

1600 points =$15

expendables on dvd

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/The+Exp...159895&skuId=1519259&st=expendables&lp=2&cp=1

$15

Expendables on Bluray , DVD and DD

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/The+Exp...159895&skuId=1519222&st=expendables&lp=1&cp=1

$20

Why would i buy either the DD or DVD when for $5 I get all 3 and yes the DD is more restrictive with the bluray , but I still get 3 verisons of the movie .

The real problem with these companys is they are way to late in seeing the future.

I'd much rather pay $15 for a DD copy that i can use on all my devices. Right now I can hook my zune up to my car reciever and have it display on all 3 monitors in the car , i can watch it on my pc , i can watch it on my tv , i can watch it on my zune and on my phone .

Because the digital copy has assorted limitations. e.g., Windows only, portable players only, etc.

The DD crowd are mostly rental folks. They can already get a HD one for $2 on VUDU for example.

They are giving digital copy because consumers were promised Mandatory Managed Copy. It's a standin for a Blu-ray feature promised to rope HP into BDA.

A studio exec explained that the bundled DVD help to promote Blu-ray to families who want movies on their portable player (and players in the cars).

I don't know why consumers are complaining. Aren't you happy to get them ? :)

Do you often believe what studio execs tell you? The simple fact is they still need the carrot because blu-ray sales aren't anywhere near where they had hoped. The combo packs let them pull in customers who are on the fence about starting into a new format, or even the unwary customer who just buys whats on the shelf as long as it says DVD on it.

Who is complaining? We're merely pointing out the inequity in the statistics. Blu-ray is padding its numbers and still having trouble making ground. It doesn't affect me, I don't buy them. If they want to get me in they'll need to cut back on the DRM.

Because the digital copy has assorted limitations. e.g., Windows only, portable players only, etc.

The DD crowd are mostly rental folks. They can already get a HD one for $2 on VUDU for example.

I'm not sure i'd call vudu hd .

Regardless , the dvd and bluray verisons give me all the acess to portable content I need. Easy rips to mpeg 4 varients that all my devices play.

Sony and Bluray assocation are doing the same BS that the record industry are doing. Giving us BS digital verisons to keep the disc format relevent and to get us to buy again when they issue better quality.

Hollywood is happy to sell you Lion king on vhs and then on dvd and then on bluray and at the same time selling it at fake hd quality on vudu and then on real hd quality later on when bluray bites the dust. and then on each of your devices in hd so they can just keep milking the old movies over and over again.

Its why i ripped all my dvds and blurays. I like the ability to use the moves how I want to and never worry about discs breaking or scratching up.

Do you often believe what studio execs tell you? The simple fact is they still need the carrot because blu-ray sales aren't anywhere near where they had hoped. The combo packs let them pull in customers who are on the fence about starting into a new format, or even the unwary customer who just buys whats on the shelf as long as it says DVD on it.

Sure, these are good reasons to include them in Blu-ray too. But why do they have to be the _only_ reason ? The studios' objective is to make more $$$. If a tactic works multiple ways, all the more they'd do it. And btw, the comment about bundling DVD in Blu-ray was made to their industry attendees, not consumers.

Who is complaining? We're merely pointing out the inequity in the statistics. Blu-ray is padding its numbers and still having trouble making ground. It doesn't affect me, I don't buy them. If they want to get me in they'll need to cut back on the DRM.

The market has changed since we saw the first DVD. It's clear that the studios have to adjust their strategies as they go. If it's a sale, it's a sale. I don't see where the padding is. If you're unhappy with their tactics, report them, don't buy, or wait for the DVD version.

Blu-ray is supposed to have Mandatory Managed Copy. Bundling DVD into Blu-ray is great for families that need it.

I'm not sure i'd call vudu hd .

Regardless , the dvd and bluray verisons give me all the acess to portable content I need. Easy rips to mpeg 4 varients that all my devices play.

[blah]

Not everyone will rip. The studios are just maximizing their profit. Again most DD customers are renting. People who buy Blu-ray have their own reasons to do so.

Sure, these are good reasons to include them into Blu-ray too. But why do they have to be the _only_ reason ? The studios' objective is to make more $$$. If a tactic works multiple ways, all the more they'd do it. And btw, the comment about bundling DVD in Blu-ray was made to their industry attendees, not consumers.

It doesn't have to be the only reason, but its the only reason that matters to their bottom line. They aren't throwing an extra disc in every case out of the goodness of their hearts.

The market has changed since we saw the first DVD. It's clear that the studios have to adjust their strategies as they go. If it's a sale, it's a sale. I don't see where the padding is. If you're unhappy with their tactics, report them, don't buy, or wait for the DVD version.

The padding is from people buying blu-ray editions even though they only intend on watching the DVD version. My niece buys every disney movie, owns all the combo packs, doesn't own a blu-ray player. Because its cheaper than buying the actual dvd, but I'm sure it shows up on the stats as a blu-ray only sale. You keep trying to make this out like I'm trying to condemn them or something, again I'm merely pointing this out as an inequity in the perceived success of blu-ray. That's where this discussion started.

Blu-ray is supposed to have Mandatory Managed Copy. Bundling DVD into Blu-ray is great for families that need it.

I was never arguing it wasn't a good deal, but its not there because they are just being nice. It's there because it was necessary to promote (speed up) format acceptance.

Just to add:
I've completely stopped buying blurays (and dvds for that matter) entirely due to the amount of commercial and adds built into them. At least, when the medium first came out, trailers, ads and commercials were all neatly hidden into some extra menu. Now, in practically every bluray, you have these unskippable, unavoidable ads and trailers that you have to sit through. Bah! If I already dish out the price to legimately watch a movie, I want to do it ad free without watching some trailer I've already seen countless times on TV, the movies or on another bluray I purchased as well.

It's this attitude of large cooporations of feeling the need to spam ads and other content they also want to sell us down our throats that gets me pissed. Sadly, Sony is on the best way with their 4+ PSN icons across the entire XMB or the news ticker that you can't disable in certain regions. Enough is enough. If I actually bought a bluray that looks like a real quality product with ads/trailers that are optional, I'd be the first to collect them en mass.

It doesn't have to be the only reason, but its the only reason that matters to their bottom line. They aren't throwing an extra disc in every case out of the goodness of their hearts.

The padding is from people buying blu-ray editions even though they only intend on watching the DVD version. My niece buys every disney movie, owns all the combo packs, doesn't own a blu-ray player. Because its cheaper than buying the actual dvd, but I'm sure it shows up on the stats as a blu-ray only sale. You keep trying to make this out like I'm trying to condemn them or something, again I'm merely pointing this out as an inequity in the perceived success of blu-ray. That's where this discussion started.

I was never arguing it wasn't a good deal, but its not there because they are just being nice. It's there because it was necessary to promote (speed up) format acceptance.

Hey, lets take a look at something different.. like people i know that would not buy a DVD because it´s a dead format, but has no problem with buying a Blu-Ray..

I actually have a friend that stopped cold on buying DVD´s, he doesn´t have a Blu-Ray player yet, but when he buys "padded" version, the studioes get a sale and get something he can use.

And the other obvious reason is people like me, that uses the DVD platform in the car and for the kids enjoyment in places where i don´t have a Blu-Ray player. I need to buy one package and get all i need. The studioes get a sale, avoid a pirate copy and earn more money.

Blu-Ray is winning, gaining ground and all movie fans should be thrilled that it´s doing so good.

you allways avoid my question.

No YOU always avoid my question on why you ALWAYS type verison instead of version??
I know you can't have a good reason for doing it, but I'd still like to hear it.

Actually I'm so fed up with it, that I wish that the board would ban the word verison, like fanboy used to be.
I just can't take it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back