AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DegustatoR

Ahha, yep it is. Sorry, brainfart.

However, there's probably a much more logical explaination to the 3DMark 06 score.

3D06 is even more shader-heavy than Vantage so those scores seemed out of line (4850 should be leading even more). But I did stumble upon a post which might have explained a lot.

http://rage3d.net/board/showpost.php?p=1335483001&postcount=16

Currently the only public drivers that support the 4800s are these (8.5 rumoured too, as Chiphell used them and got P7000 for a "HD????" ;)), and they seem to have that 3D06 scoredrop like a few earlier drivers this year.

I'm still on >32TMUs that is. :D

Maybe you're right... but where are the 96 SP (5D) ?

2006: ATi said R600 = 480 SP, but at launch R600 = 320 SP. :cry:
2008: AMD said R770 = 800 SP, but at launch RV770 = 480 SP ? :?:

It seems they went from 96 shader processors to 64. So he was wrong there but R600 was about half tera.

HD4870 30-50%>9800GTX, HD4850 25-50%>8800GT thus (minus marketing) HD4850 ~10% faster than 9800GTX & HD4870 ~30%>9800GTX.

officialamdslideahd4800eg3.jpg

officialamdslidebhd4800mz1.jpg

@Morgoth the Dark Enemy: According to AMD Shader = ALUs & 64 5D ALUs = 800 Stream Processors.

No. Shader processor=the "array" with 5 superscalar ALUs. Stream processor=ALU in their nomenclature. Read Huddy's presentation on the R600 again, or contact AMD directly and inquire.

Since when has ATI held it's own with opengl?

In my limited experiences (Used to use nvidia religiously now ATi) they have always been considerably slower using opengl than nvidia?

Last edited by a moderator:

All the testing I've done the last 6 months they've been pretty strong. ETQW with SLI is absolutely dire (169.25 was fast but crashed constantly, later drivers were stable but DOG slow), with CrossFire it works reasonably well.

Thanks for the links, Wombat.

I thought they have always been considerably slower using opengl than nvidia?

Since late on in the Catalyst 5 series, IIRC. Your opinion is literally years out-of-date.

Since late on in the Catalyst 5 series, IIRC. Your opinion is literally years out-of-date.

Not sure it's YEARS out of date, they've been improving gradually but NVIDIA still had the edge until reasonably recently, say some time within the last 12 months or so.

Unfortunately for ATI bad reputations seem to stick, while NVIDIA seem first class at sweeping them under the carpet.

Not sure it's YEARS out of date, they've been improving gradually but NVIDIA still had the edge until reasonably recently, say some time within the last 12 months or so.

Unfortunately for ATI bad reputations seem to stick, while NVIDIA seem first class at sweeping them under the carpet.

I recall improved general OGL perf. from a late 5 series Cat driver on my X800 XL way back in the day. They're always continuing to improve perf. on a per-app basis though.

+1 AMD for scaling the graphs properly.
- 1 Nvidia

For this round atleast.

Agreed, i'm actually more impressed by the AMD graphs. I think my mind over compensates when the graph starts at 0.8!

This performance is very impressive if true. Likely won't be much of a match for the GTX280 but at the right price I can see a lot of people going for it.

Certainly it looks well placed to invalidate much of the G8x/G9x lineup. And the GTX260 is probably going to have a hard time selling if the 4870 undercuts it by much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, i'm actually more impressed by the AMD graphs. I think my mind over compensates when the graph starts at 0.8!

This performance is very impressive if true. Likely won't be much of a match for the GTX280 but at the right price I can see a lot of people going for it.

Certainly it looks well placed to invalidate much of the G8x/G9x lineup. And the GTX260 is probably going to have a hard time selling if the 4850 undercuts it by much.

The GTX260 is in a different league than the 4850, the question is how much faster than the 4870 it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back