Devil May Cry 4 Going Multi-platform! (Xbox 360/PS3/PC) *Confirmed

I personally think it was worth it... but then again I'm enjoying many a Blu-ray film. ;)

do you rent or buy? i can't find a rental place (close enough) PHX, AZ yet that rents HD or Blu Ray. I'm about to join Netflix because I'm not a big purchaser of movies.

Down the line it will show its worth in certain situations - and its relative cost vs DVD will also become negligible - but in terms of "any difference," what do you mean? The only (operative) difference has only ever been storage capacity. PS3 is well suited to the year 2008/2009 I feel, and we'll be there before you know it. .

I really think you might be right in the long run. I think X360 is just going to skate by in the last couple of years of this gen on disc space. I expect several late gen releases to be multiple disc.

It's just that so many exclusives...damn! Anyway, something has been on my mind lately and it's about blu-ray. Was is really worth Sony spending so much money and time incorporating that laser in their console? So much was at stake and it's starting to look like a lost cause. Are we ever going to see what blu-ray could do for games? Is there even a difference?
If you look at the state of the PS3 software side overall, firmware, games library and the tidbits that trickled out about the developer libraries and tools, it's hard to imagine how the machine could have launched any earlier than it did, blue laser diodes or not.

The incremental manufacturing cost vs a DVD drive is very certainly below 50$ a pop, and I'm being very generous with that upper bound IMO.

I personally think it was worth it... but then again I'm enjoying many a Blu-ray film. ;)

Down the line it will show its worth in certain situations - and its relative cost vs DVD will also become negligible - but in terms of "any difference," what do you mean? The only (operative) difference has only ever been storage capacity. PS3 is well suited to the year 2008/2009 I feel, and we'll be there before you know it. Obviously in the short-term, BD has added a massive headwind to the early adoption of the console via production delays/costs. But it is what it is...

Well, yeah space-wise. I mean what are the benifits to having blu-ray other than space. The way i see it, you could only fill system/video ram so far. Disk space won't matter much.

So much was at stake and it's starting to look like a lost cause.
What's the lost cause? BRD is selling 3:1 versus HD DVD from what I hear, and you can be sure PS3 is helping with that ;). As for games, if most games are going to be cross-platform, most games will be designed for DVD, so in that respect there's no reason to think BRD was ever going to be fully embraced.

Well, yeah space-wise. I mean what are the benifits to having blu-ray other than space. The way i see it, you could only fill system/video ram so far. Disk space won't matter much.
As I posted elsewhere on this, look at history. PS1 had something like (trying to remember my figures from last time) 200:1 disc space versus RAM. PS2 had something like 125:1 disc capacity (single density) to RAM, 250:1 with dual layer. XB had 125:1. They all used the space. PS3 has at least 50:1 storage to RAM. XB360 has something like 16:1 capacity to RAM. From that POV alone, XB360 looks to be shortchanged. Of course there's other things to consider, but the amount of storage is an independent asset from RAM size. 100 levels of 200 MB each is 20 GB, as is ten levels at 2 GB each total assets.

do you rent or buy? i can't find a rental place (close enough) PHX, AZ yet that rents HD or Blu Ray. I'm about to join Netflix because I'm not a big purchaser of movies.

I'm a Netflix custoemr anyway, so it's not a problem for me just to have added BD to my profile. TTthe majority of my BD viewing has actually been through purchase (own about 15 titles), but for some movies I want to view but don't care to own (Running with Scissors the most recent for example), I just rent it. Movies I just don't care to watch period I neither rent nor own. :)

The incremental manufacturing cost vs a DVD drive is very certainly below 50$ a pop, and I'm being very generous with that upper bound IMO.

When you say incremental do you mean over the lifetime or right at the present? Because I think right now it's probably higher than a $50 spread, everything else considered. (Beyond just the diode itself, it's a more complicated OPU than most blue-laser devices) But, who knows maybe not as expensive as I think.

The sky is not falling and there will not be one console to rule them all bros and bro-etts. Some have mentioned the Wii in this thread and in regards to multi-platform has anyone realizied that soon it will be impossible to include the wii in mp. To state the obvious, Nintendo - if their strategy continues to work - will have priced themselves out of this mp debate and force more 3rd parties to develop exclusives for them. I'm sure there will be many shit games as a result of this but there will definitely be some gems. Whatever path I choose when I finally purchase the now-consoles will have to include the wii.

Back to DMC4. It's not a bad thing and should have been expected. At the very least it is the short run goal for Capcom. If console a - and I doubt this will happen but who knows - outsells console b by more than two times maybe we might see a shift in 3rd party exclusives, otherwise things my play out down the road as they are now.

Netflix: Put Reiner Werner Fassbinder films in your queue!!

If you look at the state of the PS3 software side overall, firmware, games library and the tidbits that trickled out about the developer libraries and tools, it's hard to imagine how the machine could have launched any earlier than it did, blue laser diodes or not.

Why not give developers hardware the represents the final product way earily on. They've made so many mistakes it's hard to be optimistic anymore. Truth is i love my PS3 to death but without support from developers/publishers, i've wasted my money on empty promises.:cry:

Why not give developers hardware the represents the final product way earily on. They've made so many mistakes it's hard to be optimistic anymore. Truth is i love my PS3 to death but without support from developers/publishers, i've wasted my money on empty promises.:cry:

First of all in terms of "is that all?" when you were askign about Blu-ray... yes that's all; did you believe something else?

In terms of developer/publisher support, DMC4 is still coming out for PS3 - where's the drama?

After GDC I'm much more positive on the console and the longterm strategy, whether the Feb sales be low, whether DMC4 go multiplatform... whatever. Sure PS3 may not ever hit the mainstream target the way the PS2 did, but at least I'm comfortable now knowing that there's a technology vision being pursued, and it's one that will serve as differentiator and utilizer of the underlying hardware. Afterall I'm a technophile at heart, and I need to see Folding@Hoem more than I need to see DMC4 stay exclusive. I'm in a minority mind you, but as long as my needs are being met, hey it's all good. (for me) ;)

:???: It's not like PS3 isn't getting these games! They're coming to PS3 as well. So you still get to play all those games. The only thing to lament is you could have got an XB360 at a cheaper price to play the same games. If you don't care for PS3's exclusives (HS, R&C, R:FoM, Drake's Whatnot, LBP, etc.) and/or features (Home, Internet, Linux, BRD playback, etc.) then yes, you wasted $100-200 ;)

First of all in terms of "is that all?" when you were askign about Blu-ray... yes that's all; did you believe somethign else?

In terms of developer/publisher support, DMC4 is still coming out for PS3 - where's the drama?

The drama is that it looks bad for sony. And if it continues, Ps3 will lose so much support that it would be no point to having a Ps3. Money is lost.

Edit:i will have to see what happens next. I guess i'm fearful to lose mgs4! "Sure PS3 may not ever hit the mainstream target the way the PS2 did" Do you believe that?

The drama is that it looks bad for sony. And if it continues, Ps3 will lose so much support that it would be no point to having a Ps3. Money is lost.

Bad for Sony perhaps, but not for you the cosnumer, as no options have been removed from your plate. What support has Sony lost here? Rather - it's support Microsoft has gained. Why is everything always viewed as zero sum?

Brosef,

Be happy. You will still be able to play your beloved game and since it will be on Blu-Ray, play it in French and Japanese!!
Jokes aside, I see what you mean in your perceived loss of value. The difference between consoles, other than power are the exclusive games. The part where we differ is in the belief that everything other than 1st party games are/aren't promissed. You will still be able to enjoy your console if you get excited by Sony 1st party games. If not I will gladly purchase your PS3 for less than half price;)

I believe he means that moving from exclusive to multiplattform is gonna hurt the quality of game, which IMHO is a valid concern.
Capcom has done a nice conversion with RE4, but arguably this wasnt planned as Multiplatform right from the start.

I see your point but I guess i count on nature to balance things out in the long run. there is plenty of room for a couple (several?) players in this industry. And contrary to popular belief, MS has a fixed amount that they are willing to spend (lose) on the console side before giving up. It's not a never ending bucket.

Also all corporations have the same vision; to be profitable for its shareholders. as for the console/living room front, all (or at least Sony/MS) want the same things IMO.

Well MS doesnt have to lose any crazy amounts anymore do they? And if they ever have to they have enough to keep them for a longer time in the business and even more to spend than their competitors.

The others are easier to give up in case of a shock in the sector. MS isnt in that "pit" anymore. But Nintendo and Sony are in that "pit". Especially the last one currently.

Also its not a matter of "if MS or someone else have infinite money" but what they have under their disposal comparatively.

Lastly I do reckognise that they are all after profits. Its natural. Its like vicious animals in a cage that they are capable of selling their "mother" for profit. We all marvel them behind bars. If one has the ability of braking free is when I start taking notice. Also each company wants to get into your living room for different profitable targets.

Sony wants to bring various home entertainment aspects of their electronic making into one system, increasing sales of their other products (co-marketing and co-supporting) as well as possibly reducing costs through economies of scope (by combining features and producing one product that can do them all instead of many in various fabs that do one thing each).

MS wants to collimate the console industry with their PC offerings to increase their strength, their involvement and contribution with Windows and tools. (God forbid this! As a console fanatic I have many reasons not to want this!:p )

Nintendo just want to make simple games everyone can enjoy. Come to think of it Nintendo is the simplest, comparatively most innocent and less dengarous of the three.

Capcom has done a nice conversion with RE4, but arguably this wasnt planned as Multiplatform right from the start.

I think seeing as the new engine is more or less using the PC for its base and given that they already have LP and DR running great on 360, I'm guessing that they had this as a MP for a while and ala' Assassin's Creed, kept it under wraps as an honor to Sony.

Edit: good post above Nesh

Resident Evil 5
Grand Theft Auto IV
Virtua Fighter 5
Bladestorm
Fatal Intertia
Assassin's Creed
Devil May Cry 4

smart developers make smart decisions

I believe he means that moving from exclusive to multiplattform is gonna hurt the quality of game, which IMHO is a valid concern.

See post #97 for my thoughts on this.

Well MS doesnt have to lose any crazy amounts anymore do they? And if they ever have to they have enough to keep them for a longer time in the business and even more to spend than their competitors.

The others are easier to give up in case of a shock in the sector. MS isnt in that "pit" anymore. But Nintendo and Sony are in that "pit". Especially the last one currently.

Also its not a matter oof "if they have infinite money" but what they have under their disposal comparatively.

I think all three are fairly well buffered for whatever happens. Like you said MS seems to be coming into less-steessful times in terms of their console biz. For Sony the cash itself isn't an issue, save that Stringer I think has more short-term goals in mind right now vs a longterm view... so truthfully if PS doesn't do well the guy might do something crazy (God forbid), but historically Sony has had the largest operational budget of the three to work with.

And Nitnendo... fact is that although they always seem to go 'cheap' on their R&D, they nonetheless have billions to work with and their sole business is gaming. So not only could they whether mutiple console cycle iterations in the red - nevermind that they're wildly profitable - they could in fact randomly decide that they will bild the *true* next-gen supercomputing console if they wanted to... granted it would toss their profitability and their cash hord out the window. :p

Still, it's worth reflecting on the fact that although Nintendo doesn't utilize them, they do in fact have access to massive resources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad for Sony perhaps, but not for you the cosnumer, as no options have been removed from your plate. What support has Sony lost here? Rather - it's support Microsoft has gained. Why is everything always viewed as zero sum?

It's not. I just don't want to waste $600 and i want my console to be exploited to the fullest. I want sony to fulfill thier promises on great graphics, sound, and revolutionary gameplay. I want my moneys worth. That's not so much to ask.

It's not. I just don't want to waste $600 and i want my console to be exploited to the fullest. I want sony to fulfill thier promises on great graphics, sound, and revolutionary gameplay. I want my moneys worth. That's not so much to ask.

You will definitely get this with 1st party games and some of the 3rd party exclusives. There will be less 3rd party exclusives this generation but don't fear for you will still get some great quality games. Last console cycle was the most unbalanced since the NES days. Do not expect things to revert back.

It's not. I just don't want to waste $600 and i want my console to be exploited to the fullest.
Consoles rarely are even on exclusives. Many a PS2 exclusive didn't exploit the hardware very well.
I want sony to fulfill thier promises on great graphics, sound, and revolutionary gameplay.
And you're getting whatever the software companies produce for it. Sony can't control them. 3rd parties can and do produce weak engines, for exclusives and multiplatform. Hopefully Capcom's middleware has a lot of effort put into it, and uses the different platforms well.

Seriously, you're totally overreacting. Sony never promised PS3 would have the most exclusive games. They've given you the hardware you bought. If you bought it for software reasons, you bought on your own beliefs in the platforms rather than any promises.

Back