game with best graphic so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Qft

LBP gets my vote too. The lighting and shadowing has no equal that I've seen, combined with fantastic and original art and design. And the optival effects are perfect too. It doesn't have the biggest draw-distance, or most objects on screen, or wildest particle effects, but no other game in 7 years or so has made me really go 'wow!'. It's the first title to look convincingly real.

100% agree!!

Obviously ...

While I agree in general with this statement, one must consider what they are reproducing. Cardboard cutouts and clay creatures. Not exactly difficult. It's like next-gen parapa the rapper.

To me the more impressive titles in this same train of thought that use todays tech to the limit but also work around todays limitations to mask "graphicisms" are: Trusty Bell and Team Fortress2. BlueDragon also gets a nod for working within the confines of the system to produce an excellent result.

None of these titles are replicating reality, but all of them are recreating a larger more detailed and varied world than LBP with similar image quality.

other examples:

1138043519.jpg

1138043521.jpg

Hoopworld - xbox live arcade

1164737322.jpg

1164737445.jpg

Small Arms - xbox live arcade

43028.jpg

43027.jpg

Little Big Planet -PS3

there's obvious computer-graphic-isms, such as flat textures where there shouldn't be, texture blurring due to lack of AF, shadows that aren't realistic, shaders that aren't convincing, pixelated foliage, aspects of the game that don't move properly, motion-captured animation that jumps from motion to motion, shimmer and jaggies, pop-in, phoney looking particle effects like smoke and clouds. Crysis has it's fair share of faults.

Crysis no doubt has faults as does any game but it certainly doesn't suffer most of those mentioned above to any extent worth mentioning. In fact some of the faults you mentioned are purely dependent on your PC's settings and not the game.

Of the above, on a very good PC I would say the only items Crysis really suffers from to a point it were can be mentioned without nitpicking are "aspects of the game that don't move properly" and pop-in.

The rest either don't exist in Crysis (or are better than any other game and thus not fair to call them problems) or could be solved simply by increasing res/AA/AF.

A point of note aswell is that LBW seems to have pretty bad aliasing in parts, although that would seem to be pretty much its only fault. Perhaps a little clipping aswell.

Exaggerated lighting with exaggerated bloom. Weird expressions (guy doesn't know where he's looking). Then add the weird animations when the Xbox360 game is in motion which were partly fixed in the PS3 version but not fully. Part of it could also be the uncanny valley though. I don't think this game comes close.

Exaggerated lighting with exaggerated bloom. Weird expressions (guy doesn't know where he's looking). Then add the weird animations when the Xbox360 game is in motion which were partly fixed in the PS3 version but not fully. Part of it could also be the uncanny valley though. I don't think this game comes close.

Animation for sure killed this game. Expression was another downfall. But then look at what they were recreating ... in contrast to Little Planet. It's nice that they have recreated limited assets in a limited scope and returned favorable results, but how quickly can your machine render a teapot?

:p

LP will be a nice accessory title. I don't think they will win Graphics of the year with it though. ;)

Little Big Planet.

It's not like they are rendering some simplistic cartoon world.

It looks like real beanie babies (creepy ones) real bricks, real orangest, real cloth and fabrics.... all "rendered" in painstaking stop motion.

It gets my vote over Crysis because while Crysis takes us farther along the traditional direction than we've ever been before, LBP sort of leap frogs it. Crysis is amazing, but we still have the simplistic floor texture, the 2d plants, and other reminders that graphics aren't "there" yet. LBP manages to fool us somehow.... And imo, the only qualification I'll make to taht is the limited player control over the camera. It's just the most photorealistic 3d game out there.

To me the more impressive titles in this same train of thought that use todays tech to the limit but also work around todays limitations to mask "graphicisms" are: Trusty Bell and Team Fortress2. BlueDragon also gets a nod for working within the confines of the system to produce an excellent result.

Trusty Bell is more impressive than LBP to you? o_O

Anyways, my personal top lookers are Crysis/Heavenly sword/Battlefield:BC/Mass Effect/FFXIII/GTHD:Concept/Gears of War/LBP. Each with their own style and technical merits. Crysis obviously being the best one imo.

Honorable mention goes to GOW2 for best looking last gen game. ;)

IMO Crysis has the best graphics so far. It looks very photoreal and the foilage alone is phenomenal. LBP comes close only because the scale is so much smaller and the used of DoF effects to simulate a Toy Story kind of visual exerience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Animation for sure killed this game. Expression was another downfall. But then look at what they were recreating ... in contrast to Little Planet. It's nice that they have recreated limited assets in a limited scope and returned favorable results, but how quickly can your machine render a teapot?

:p

LP will be a nice accessory title. I don't think they will win Graphics of the year with it though. ;)

That was not what I was discussing. But if you want to discuss those other things, thats fine too, just don't quote me when you do it ;)

None of these titles are replicating reality, but all of them are recreating a larger more detailed and varied world than LBP with similar image quality.
well if by similar you mean a lot worse then yes i agree
actually the first game looks nice and colorful, but graphically theres a planet of difference between the two

Little Big Planet. Nothing else looks as photorealistic except cars from GTHD.
followed by a picture of a very obviously CG picture of two boxers. :D , oh mate give it up before u dig yourself further into a hole

i have to agree with GTHD, some of those screenshots were the first time ever i was fooled into thinking they werent actual photos for more than a second

LBP is certainly among the top contenders in my opinion (overall graphics, not simply technical prowess or art alone). Crysis also looks great. And others, but I don't want to ruin the gem above by adding more.

im not gonna mention any PC games coz with "unlimited amount of RAMs=unlimited amount of GFX", so thats unfair.
the most impressive titles released and unreleased to me are:
Lair, Heavenly sword, BFBC. for the 1st
GTHD and Gears comes close 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back