game with best graphic so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Artistically yeah, trusty bell probably pulls off the cartoon look pretty well. But other than that, it's nothing impressive at all.

Nothing impressive at all?

Take a second look at the animation of the cell shaded characters (body movement, hair, clothing, as well as lip sync, facial expressions, and body gestures). It wouldn't hurt to take a look at the activity of the world either. Considering most games (not just cell shaded games) have pretty boring/lifeless worlds and poor animation those two areas immediately stand out as being impressive. "Nothing" is a pretty broad statement... Especially when attatched to "at all"... I am sure others could point out some of the other impressive aspects of the titles graphics if you are having a hard time spotting them.

Hmm... seems we may be talking about two different things. Art design is highly subjective, you either like it or you don't most of the time. What I'm talking about is graphical superiority, as I thought this is what the topic was about. If I were thinking strictly art design I would have said Okami looks better than Crysis. Art wise, LBP is nothing amazing, though it's cute and it works well.

No, we are not talking about 2 different things. The problem, putting aside art for a moment (which a central design point of your graphic design and technological choices!) is this: graphics are not about technology but the USE of technology.

For example, there are a host of crappy Ray Traced graphics out there. Technically impressive, yes, but graphically craptastic. I give you the technical superiority of ray tracing!

images

So the issue comes down to design choices resulting in the best image on screen. I don't care if a game uses realtime GI, if the end results looks worse than a rasterized image then graphically it is NOT superior.

Further, as I pointed out in my previous post, how do you begin to weigh which is technically superior?

- Are 2 256x256 parallax maps technically superior to 8 1024x1024 normal maps?
- Are 2 VF5 level figures technically superior to 50,000 3D fans in a sprting stadium?
- Are small detailed locales in DoA4 technically superior to the extremely large streaming worlds of a game like Oblivion?

What is best "technically" is what gives the best result for your game.

It is overly simplistic to say something like:

Real Geometry > Displacement Mapping > Parallax Mapping > Normal Mapping

And yet such a paradigm ignores the realities of game budgets (memory limitations, vertex processing and vertex setup limitations, hardware accellerated methods versus software, etc) and how there are very real sweet spots and areas with very poor returns. But that is effectively what you are argueing in regards to technology and graphics with how you are pointing to technology buzzwords as a single barometer. But missed in this equation would be all the pros/cons of each technique, namely that each has significant tradeoffs. In the real world there are tradeoffs.

Take the two extremes of real geometry versus normal mapping.

It is easy to argue that real geometry is more advanced/technically impressive. Until you account for the fact normal maps could allow for more characters (smaller geometry footprint and processing) or much more detailed characters in the fine areas as well as superior animation (try animating a 10k poly character and a 1M poly character... and then try having a dozen or so on the screen at a time). Effectively you are looking at a situation with comparing a couple characters on screen versus dozens, maybe hundreds.

Being more technically advanced only applies in certain situations imo.

- When games are attempting to do the same thing (e.g. two football games)
- When one technique is clearly superior to another and either is nominally expensive or would result in siginifican return on investment in the end product (e.g. a game that relies heavily on shadows could benefit from a better shadowing technique)
- When a technique (or more likely group of techniques) is better executed
- When a developer is just plain better (skill, time, resources, ingenuity) than others (AAA dev versus the Hudsons of the world)

I am sure there are other situations, but I think my examples suffice to demonstrate that how a lot of people look at graphics is pretty flawed IMO in regards to "technicals" and which has better graphics technology. Gears of War isn't anything really technically new or ground breaking but it is how the technology is used, and the quality levels at which they pushed, that is impressive. So is GOW technically impressive because it pushes the bounds in terms of quality of these techniques or not impressive technically because they are more familiar techniques.

We can all be guilty of buzzwords, I know I have been at times, but at the end of the day they mean very little in regards to how "advanced" a title is. If you are raytracing but can only have 5k polygons on screen are you really more technically advanced, graphically, than a game that rasterizes 500k polygons?

On the technical side, TB doesn't hold a candle to LBP.

While lighting, shadowing, and filtering all seem to be very good in LBP (nice quality + nice techniques) it doesn't ace all the technical criterias as you indicate. How about low quality assets that are in a limited range for starters. Trusty Bell also has character animation in about every technical form I can think of as a "win" as well.

And comparing LBP "technical" feats is also skewed because the title has a fairly 2D fixed perspective which hides possible graphical issues as well as you are dealing with a limited number of low detailed figures so you have the resources to splurge in other areas. i.e. A game with a limited world size and fixed camera and a handful low quality assets can spend resources differently. That isn't a bad thing -- again, it is all about tradeoffs. And LBP makes a lot of tradeoffs for high IQ. Is it a win? Most here seem to think so... does that automatically mean it is the best? That other technical feats are no longer impressive?

Personally I thought the Reality Engine Backyard demo from 2004 using DX9 on a Radeon 9700 was nearly as impressive as LBP. e.g.

When you are dealing with a limited, more focused area you have the ability to make even simple assets look impressive. It is one of the tradeoffs technically and artistically of limiting or expanding your scope.

Ultimately, as I stated before, it isn't an easy 1-to-1 comparison as you are trying to make. The fact is they, Trusty Bell and Little Big Planet, have different goals and comparing them directly for technology doesn't say squat (although I am not argueing that TB has nothing cutting edge technologically going for it... we must have different eyes for technology although I am in no way slighting LBP and can conceed where it looks good). Is the PS2 Matrix Game with Neo better than GoW2 because the Matrix game used normal maps and had hundreds of people on screen at a time?

Of course not! The technology is only there to serve a purpose, and whoever uses their technology to best hit their target has the best technology. I don't care if a game uses ray casting, ray tracing, or global illumination. I see render tests all the time with these that are HORRIBLE graphics.

What makes good graphics is proper use of the technology for a great end result.

LBP.jpg

Nothing has blown me away more than LittleBigPlanet. I still can't believe it. When I saw it the first thing that popped into my head is "We've finally got Toy Story graphics". It looks like somebody actually physically made that set and then it was recorded on film.

I wish someone does a technical interview with Media Molecule. I'd like to know how they are achieving it.

Of games I can go out and play today, Gears of War is the best looking IMO. Kameo also has its moments, particularly when panning to a scene with thousands of trolls over a vast landscape.

I'm one of those who doesn't think LBP looks like the best thing since bread came sliced. In fact, I'd even say it's not the best looking thing on PS3 out today, let alone to come... sure it looks good for what it's doing, but so does Alien Hominid ;) When you have a small scale world you can make things look a little more polished at little cost, but when you do a full 3D world which you can really explore, the true graphical achievement becomes evident.

Acert/JL, once again your logic and patience are our saving grace. Seeing you post around here reminds me on occasion of the courtroom scene in Idiocracy ("he explained his situation logically and methodically..."). I salute you for the fact that you never condescend, and you always take the time to have a discussion rather than an argument.

While I agree in general with this statement, one must consider what they are reproducing. Cardboard cutouts and clay creatures. Not exactly difficult.
I think you're missing a lot of the difficult technology. Simpler things aren't always easier. LBP needs a global illumination model, which Alex Evans has pioneered. Without that, things don't look solid and convincing - which is where the examples you post fall down. It's also unfair to post stills for comparison, because LBP's use of realistic mo-blur and DOF add considerably to it's realism.

There's no less interesting technology going on here than other games. It's just applied differently.

I think you're missing a lot of the difficult technology. Simpler things aren't always easier. LBP needs a global illumination model, which Alex Evans has pioneered. Without that, things don't look solid and convincing - which is where the examples you post fall down. It's also unfair to post stills for comparison, because LBP's use of realistic mo-blur and DOF add considerably to it's realism.

There's no less interesting technology going on here than other games. It's just applied differently.

Shifty how are they achieving that real-world "solid" look?

EDIT: Didn't notice your link to the pdf. But is it just the lighting? Those beany baby things look tangible.

It's also unfair to post stills for comparison, because LBP's use of realistic mo-blur and DOF add considerably to it's realism.
I don't see how either effect is realistic. Neiter mo-blur nor DOF exist in real world, they are just effects created by your eye/brain, while in LBP they are in fact physical on your TV screen. I'm not saying they don't look good though, just pointing out that they're not realistic.

I don't see how either effect is realistic. Neiter mo-blur nor DOF exist in real world, they are just effects created by your eye/brain, while in LBP they are in fact physical on your TV screen. I'm not saying they don't look good though, just pointing out that they're not realistic.

What do you mean not realistic? They are techniques to give computer generated images a more "natural" look, to give you the same impression you'd have if witnessed the same situation in real life.

<skip>

What makes good graphics is proper use of the technology for a great end result.

You're showing me things I had never heard about. That trusty bell game looks extremelly good to me :eek: very impressive high quality visuals! and that demo... is there any place I can download it?

edit - As for better graphics I don't know that much console games, but I would say that Little big planet looks amazing to me, and I'm in love with Trusty bell... Also, this post about technology and it's usage was a good read. Thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean not realistic? They are techniques to give computer generated images a more "natural" look, to give you the same impression you'd have if witnessed the same situation in real life.
It is used because it makes you focus on some things while your eye/brain has an ability to focus on whole screen at once (if you sit far enough). However use of DoF/motion blur is realistic or totally unrealistic depending on what you want to watch. If you have a fast moving skateboard, as in LPB presentation, in real world your eye blurs a background when you watch a skateboard (it can blur a skateboard even if you focus on it when it moves too fast) or it entirely blurs a skateboard when you look at the background but near the skateboard. When you look at close objects, distant objects are a little blurry. However, your eyes can almost immediately focus on distant ocjects so that you can see them sharply. In LBP distant objects are always blurred and it is fixed. That's why it is not realistic IMO. However, DoF is really good used in LBP and fits the game (I hated DoF in Gears of War). /edit: I just saw the LPB video again and motion blur is applied perfectly - things blur relatively to camera's movement - incredible!.

Crysis is amazing, but we still have the simplistic floor texture, the 2d plants,

You must be looking at a different game to me. I don't see any 2d plants in Crysis, as far as im aware everything is 3d apart from maybe a bit of grass.

And a close look at the floor textures in Crysis reveals highly details parallax and/or bumpmapped surfaces all over the place. In fact the recent engine demo makes a major point of it.

[Brick_top];947402 said:
You're showing me things I had never heard about. That trusty bell game looks extremelly good to me :eek: very impressive high quality visuals! and that demo... is there any place I can download it?

The cutscenes in Trusty Bell look great and I really like the artstyle but when I went to see actual gameplay screens I was quite dissapointed. They are not on the same level.

http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/5070/1099_0003.jpg
http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/5070/1099_0004.jpg
http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/5070/1099_0001.jpg
http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/5070/1099_0002.jpg

When you have a small scale world you can make things look a little more polished at little cost, but when you do a full 3D world which you can really explore, the true graphical achievement becomes evident.

I agree with this, but IMO it still looks good regardless. Take that GC Rebirth techdemo for instance, did it look good? Hell yeah, but then again that was on GC hardware. With PS3 hardware I would expect something better than Rebirth techdemo on GC, which is what LBP is. It looks better and good as it should and it's more than a techdemo even though it's still a simple sidescroller.

Personally I have tried to switch gears from "realism" to "film" in such comparison and find it helps. The reason being that a 2D display has so many limitations (no depth, no light intensity, limited pixel density, low refresh rate, not panoramic, etc) that you can never really hope to emulate effectively/accurately all the effects we see in real life on a display. But we can move forward to emulating the effect of capturing the real world on film and displayed on a 2D display! So while the motion blur may be a poor emulation of reality, it is closer to being what a camera would capture from the real world and put on a screen. IMO this avoids some of the pointless "realistic" issues and puts it in a finer context. Expecting games to accomplish tasks that film cannot when capturing reality would be unfair IMO.

aselto said:
If you have a fast moving skateboard, as in LPB presentation, in real world your eye blurs a background when you watch a skateboard (it can blur a skateboard even if you focus on it when it moves too fast) or it entirely blurs a skateboard when you look at the background but near the skateboard. When you look at close objects, distant objects are a little blurry. However, your eyes can almost immediately focus on distant ocjects so that you can see them sharply. In LBP distant objects are always blurred and it is fixed. That's why it is not realistic IMO.

While it is true that your eyes/brain, in the real world, would be doing all the compensation and able to change focus in a game you are limited to a "camera". Depending on where your camera is focused and the settings you very well could get these sort of DOF effects. This is one of the problems with DOF: The developer is assuming where the gamer is looking. The effect is great when the gamer cooperates with the camera, but once they try to look beyond the cameras focus the illusion becomes a hinderance.

But the same would apply to a movie as well. If you have a closeup of an actor the wall behind him may be out of focus. Does this mean it is unrealistic?

If you are comparing it to the limitations of your eyes in the real world then yes, it is unrealistic; if you are comparing it to film capturing the real world presented on a display, less so. Of course games kind of straddle the two so great care must be given to give a nice immersive effect without hindering the user interaction.

While it is true that your eyes/brain, in the real world, would be doing all the compensation and able to change focus in a game you are limited to a "camera". Depending on where your camera is focused and the settings you very well could get these sort of DOF effects. This is one of the problems with DOF: The developer is assuming where the gamer is looking. The effect is great when the gamer cooperates with the camera, but once they try to look beyond the cameras focus the illusion becomes a hinderance.

But the same would apply to a movie as well. If you have a closeup of an actor the wall behind him may be out of focus. Does this mean it is unrealistic?

If you are comparing it to the limitations of your eyes in the real world then yes, it is unrealistic; if you are comparing it to film capturing the real world presented on a display, less so. Of course games kind of straddle the two so great care must be given to give a nice immersive effect without hindering the user interaction.
I know why these effects are used, I'm just pointing out why they're not all that realistic. ;) So if Depth of Dielf is used like in LBP or good old Conker on Xbox1 I call it a very good use of the effect, because it somehow directs gamer and makes game more immersive. OTOH I don't think that in-game cameras have to emulate real-wrold cameras' flaws and not to show everything as sharply as possible, letting player to choose what to focus on. In many games it's not handled correctly, for example in Gears everything 5+ meters from camera is simply blurred.:???:

Is it a troll atempt? Seriously Eternal Sonata isn't that poor (there's usually going on a lot in GoW2, but environments aren't too good. Even then God of War 2 is probably the best looking ps2 game - compare Eternal sonata to Shin Megami Tensei;) ).
As of Eternal Sonata, i was sceptic after seeing first screenshots, but GDC footage changed my mind - screenshots don't do it justice - artists at Tri Crescendo are very clever and they somehow make 2D sprites to compose well with 3D environments. The game is no technical wonder, but Tri Crescendo are beginners and I didn't see a good looking stuff from its publisher Namco for a very very long time...
For reference, here is (offscreen) ES's trailer:
http://xboxyde.com/leech_3573_en.html
Yes I've seen the trailer, I've seen the screens, but it's still nothing impressive to me.

Seriously, these pictures Joshua posted earlier which show off the environment...
http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/4972/1099_0003.jpg
http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/4972/1099_0006.jpg
The environments in the GOW2 levels look on par with that, especially the Atlas level. Minus the HD resolution as I stated. I'm not trolling, just stating what I see. The environments in GOW2 are among the best I've ever seen, artistically and graphically (for a last gen game), and there are plenty of next gen games with better looking visuals than TB inho. If you like what you see artistically, thats cool and I don't knock any of you for that. But I've seen much better graphically (which the topic is about, no?).

<skip>

Thanks for the long write up but I still stand by my opinion. You mentioned the word "art" in different forms many times over in your original post, and I responded to that. Art is highly subjective. And graphically I think LBP is superior. Yes, it has a more focused area, different perspective camera view, and most importantly, different game play mechanics that can change everything. But graphically speaking (indeed what the thread is about), and technicalities aside, If you were to show me a movie of trusty bell, and a movie of LBP, I would say LBP looks better.

I do get your point about technical aspects and graphics going hand and hand (this goes all the way back to doom3 vs hl2 arguments, and I'm sure much further than that). And I'm actually speaking the same thing.

Honestly I think you said more than needed to be said, because I agree with you on many points. I think you misunderstood me when I listed the technical aspects of LBP, what I meant was that those aspects give the game a better visual feel than TB. I was not trying to make bullet points on why this game should be counted as the better looking one, but rather listing things that aids in making it the better looking one. And if you wanted my opinion I think that Reality Engine demo looks better than TB as well. Regardless of the scale of things, if the end visual look is more appealing to the eye, then doesn't that count for something? ;) Should GTA:SA be held as the graphically superior game over GOW1/2 because it has a larger scale?

I'd say that for me, Mass Effect is the best-looking out of current and upcoming games. The characters models are just so phenomenal. Approaching CGI quality.

[Brick_top];947402 said:
...Thanks :)

Would you please not quote an entire post just for 6 lines of response? Thanks...

Thanks for the long write up

Geez, why does everyone quote all of Josh's post??? I agree that it's a good post but it was enough to have it once in the thread... netiquette is dead or what?

Trusty Bell looks fricken amazing BUT, it gets back to an art thing.

Again, whenever you have threads like these, you invariably have a few people that say something like "okami is the best looking game" which to me, is just a totally not answer.

I really cant judge trusty bell on a technical level at all. I just think it looks like a really beautiful cartoon. I suppose since it is on one of the most powerful consoles, one could make some kind of claim it's actually the best graphics (where I dont think you possibly can for okami, but it's easy to prove in okamis case because it's on such an inferior platform compared to current gen).

But I dunno, I just dont think "best graphics ever" and trusty bell together. I do think, it's really gorgeous though, but from an art point of view.

Yes I've seen the trailer, I've seen the screens, but it's still nothing impressive to me.

Seriously, these pictures Joshua posted earlier which show off the environment...
http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/4972/1099_0003.jpg
http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/4972/1099_0006.jpg
The environments in the GOW2 levels look on par with that, especially the Atlas level. Minus the HD resolution as I stated. I'm not trolling, just stating what I see. The environments in GOW2 are among the best I've ever seen, artistically and graphically (for a last gen game), and there are plenty of next gen games with better looking visuals than TB inho. If you like what you see artistically, thats cool and I don't knock any of you for that. But I've seen much better graphically (which the topic is about, no?).
Then I have to assume God of War 2 is a HUGE improvement over part 1 and has much better looking levels then what I saw in gameplay videos if it comes close to Eternal Sonata. I remember reading all these extasies how God of War 1 looked like and how epic in scale it was and then I played the game and what I saw was, for example, a very blocky model of Ares standing on a completely flat texture which was supposedly meant to be Athens. That was a real disappointment. :( Back to the topic, could you show me a video from God of War that looks comparable to the - for example - destruction of the bridge from the Eternal Sonata trailer?
/edit: just saw IGN video review, it seems like locations look this way - empty area where you fight with enemies and monsters surrounded by more or less detailed and more or less distant "walls".
I'd say that for me, Mass Effect is the best-looking out of current and upcoming games. The characters models are just so phenomenal. Approaching CGI quality.
I don't agree. They are all characters in armors and heads have some wisible poly edges. Far from CGI quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back