game with best graphic so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you never seen a game so called Crysis for the Pc.
Yes I have (how can I be posting on B3D and not look at Crysis?!). And due to the scope of the game, it can't match LBP's lighting model. The high contrast lighting of Crysis helps effectively hide the lack of GI type lighting in most situations. Though very detailed with excellent effects, on the whole Crysis clearly looks like a computer game.

Trusty Bell ;)

I think Dirt might do it, depending on how it looks in the end.

Finished games on the market right now though? Gears.

BTW : Why start a thread in the console forum to ask 'what's got the best graphics?' if you're opinion is a PC game? Truning up in a console thread and saying 'PC has the best graphics' isn't very productive (which sums up IGNDavid's posts at the moment. I hope things improve).

BTW : Why start a thread in the console forum to ask 'what's got the best graphics?' if you're opinion is a PC game? Truning up in a console thread and saying 'PC has the best graphics' isn't very productive (which sums up IGNDavid's posts at the moment. I hope things improve).

Seconded. The most graphically impressive console game I have ever played has been the Motorstorm Demo (@ an electronics store near you). The graphically impressive game I have seen - that has been released - is Gears. The most graphically impressive game not yet released IMO is LBP, as it would fool most into thinking it is a CG movie (the fluidity, the art render, lighting) albeit a mostly two-dimensional one. Finally seeing it in motion blew my mind. The most artistically graphically impressive game, since it falls into an aesthetic of my liking, is Super Paper Mario. I just love how it looks and will probably buy a wii for it if the reviews are as impressive as I think they will be.

The most impressive smily is this one: :nope:

wait, this thread never asked me for what the most realistic game was. now i need to think about which game really gave me emotion.

If we are talking console only then Im going with most impressive announced as heav. sword (some of the scenes are awe inspiring) and LBP just doenst turn my crank for some reason. I would have to give an honorable mention to BioShock also though.

Only a few games made me go "holy crap" when I first saw them:

Heavenly Sword
LBP (I want one of those little puppets!)

As far as best graphics go (appealing to me: technically, artistically, etc.) those two take the top spots.

IMO its Crysis. LBP looks amazing but the level of detail in any given isn't even close to comparable.

And I don't expect any scenes in LBP to match the likes of the Nuke scene from the recent Crysis demo, or for that matter, any number of cinematic scenes such as when the vtol is thrown into the carrier tower or when the player lays waste to dense jungle with a chain gun. There is simply so much detail, action and effects in scenes like that which LBP doesn't even begin to approach, at least not from what I have seen so far.

Yes LBP looks more like what its trying to look like than Crysis, but thats only because what its trying to look like is considerably more simplistic. XIII looked just like what it was supposed to look like (a comic strip) at least as well as LBP IMO and that was years ago, but again, what it was trying to look like was far more simplistic again.

All that said, I would have to give my second place to either LBP or Alan Wake.

Am I missing something? How can there be all these votes for LBP? I didn't pay real close attention to the video I watched of it, but it sort of struck me as something like that XBLA fighting game Small Arms that came out a while back. I'm sure, it looks much better than Small Arms, but they remind me of each other. Anyways, it's a 2D platformer more or less!

Also yeah, it's unfair to put Crysis in this mix. I really think people are fooling themselves if they say any current gen console game tops crysis on a technical level. Of course then you have the type of people who will say something like Okami on PS2 has the best graphics...which means they are delving into art style which I dont think should be the intent.

I also think we should restrict ourselves to clearly playable games whenever these discussions arise. Alan Wake, they've showed some nice panoramic weather vids, but I really dont know what that game will look as you play it, when it's actually running on a console.

Since we are in the console forum I am going to take it to mean console games. In that case, I hate to be cliche but Gears of War is right up there, especially for released games. Battlefield Bad Company and Army of Two are up there, I might have to give the nod to BFBC. And I need to see more of Ratchet and Clank but it' very impressive, as are Heavenly Sword and Motorstorm.

I dont think there's a clear winner on consoles the way Crysis is overall. Because, you have games using machines of similar power duking it out, so you dont get that seperation, so it's more like a handful of great looking games. If one game looked head and shoulders above the rest, you'd have to ask why the other devs weren't doing there jobs..

Here's the Crysis nuke gif to refresh people's memory for those that haven't seen it :)

http://personal.inet.fi/atk/kjh2348fs/crysis_nuke.html

Am I missing something?
Obviously ;) You don't have to pay close attention to it. It's in the details. Not super-hires textures (although the texture sampling is fantastic) but the way they've worked to get everything photorealistic. There's no part to that game that is noticeable as CG. If you look for it, you can spot faults. But you could create a movie from gameplay and have people watch it thinking it was stop-motion or some puppetry. This is in stark contrast to most (or all as I believe) games out there where no matter what's in it, there's obvious computer-graphic-isms, such as flat textures where there shouldn't be, texture blurring due to lack of AF, shadows that aren't realistic, shaders that aren't convincing, pixelated foliage, aspects of the game that don't move properly, motion-captured animation that jumps from motion to motion, shimmer and jaggies, pop-in, phoney looking particle effects like smoke and clouds. Crysis has it's fair share of faults.

Of course LBP doesn't have the same scope, which is how can they manage this. They are the first though, and putting quality over quantity (fewer better looking items) they've created something that stands out. And with a huge upshot in believability that adds to the immersion, which is what better and better graphics is all about!

Obviously ;) You don't have to pay close attention to it. It's in the details. Not super-hires textures (although the texture sampling is fantastic) but the way they've worked to get everything photorealistic. There's no part to that game that is noticeable as CG. If you look for it, you can spot faults. But you could create a movie from gameplay and have people watch it thinking it was stop-motion or some puppetry. This is in stark contrast to most (or all as I believe) games out there where no matter what's in it, there's obvious computer-graphic-isms, such as flat textures where there shouldn't be, texture blurring due to lack of AF, shadows that aren't realistic, shaders that aren't convincing, pixelated foliage, aspects of the game that don't move properly, motion-captured animation that jumps from motion to motion, shimmer and jaggies, pop-in, phoney looking particle effects like smoke and clouds. Crysis has it's fair share of faults.

Of course LBP doesn't have the same scope, which is how can they manage this. They are the first though, and putting quality over quantity (fewer better looking items) they've created something that stands out. And with a huge upshot in believability that adds to the immersion, which is what better and better graphics is all about!

I agree with you. The two other games, I find very beautiful are Heavenly sword and Alan wake.

And I'm curious to see next The Team ICO game and the next sillent hill.

After watching the Crysis GDC tech demonstration video their is no question in my mind that Crysis is the best looking game period. I know this is the console section, but creating a thread to discuss the game with the best graphics so far would not be valid in my mind without mentioning Crysis.

The number of LBP votes has shocked me as this is a thread about the game with the best graphics so far. I watched the GDC trailer and although the game does seem to have some neat effects, it just seems a tad too simplistic when you are comparing it to the likes of Crysis, Gears of War, GRAW2, Mass Effect, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back