35 reasons NOT to give up on the Wii

Natoma

Veteran
http://www.wiiwii.tv/2007/02/27/35-reasons-not-to-give-up-on-the-wii/

Oh, we’re a fickle bunch, us gamers. Recent weeks has seen a distinct wave of ‘meh’ sweep the Wii community, as people realise they’ve completed Zelda, they’re bored of Wii Sports, and still can’t be arsed to take the Wii Play disc out of its box.

What, they ask, are we supposed to do with this shiny white console? Is it wrong to be bored of Wii already? To which the answer is this: hang on in there, brothers and sisters! It’s true that the Wii world has been a bit lack-lustre recently, but there are plenty of reasons to stay true to Nintendo’s console. Here’s 35 of ‘em.
Pretty entertaining list. :)

I'm very interested to see what this list could be after E3.

I had a scary experience regards Wii yesterday. I popped onto GameTrailers and saw three Wii games up there : Ninjabread Man, Action Girlz Racing, and London Taxi : RusHour. I thought I'd take a look at what devs were doing with the Wii and they were...um...not very good (he said, being very polite). All from the same dev, who appears to have no regard for quality. They seriously look bad for an early PS2 game :oops: And they seriously give Wii a bad name. Plus there's a few more titles up, equally bad.

Personally I think Wii could do with some stronger marketting of it's better games. There's been a few early trailers, and I'm not seeing any strong products appearing in visible form at the moment.

Ya that's what I was talking about E3. That's when most companies will probably bring out their big marketing guns. Right now you really only hear about the major franchises for the 3 consoles, but not much else.

Gives one the impression that there's not much activity out there.

I'm expecting good things with the Wii, but that list is pretty weak. Sonic and SSX are out an nothing special according to most reviews, and I expect only a few of the points on that list to fair much better.

Why one would have already given up on the Wii is beyond me.

Beause Wii is a gamecube and waving your arms in the air is for idiots. And the games will suck because no 3rd party is gonna make something for kiddy nintendo and you dont have ubergfx and gallons of blood. You know that right?

gesture recognition isnt innovate or revolutionary.

It would be nice, tho. Better than the "twitch recognition" that te Wii does.

I like mine, but it's so far less useful and entertaining than my PS3. As an early adopter, I expected about that. But I'm still a little let down by the total dirth of good Wii software.

Err, as opposed to the overwhelming tidal wave of good PS3 titles? :LOL:

They both just launched. Give it time.

It seems there's a real disconnect between the incredibly strong Wii sales and the general meh attitude/lack of hype on game forums.

I dont know if, or when it will catch up to the Wii.

It seems just a lot easier to hype huge, graphically instensive "experience" games on the PS3/360 than it is Wii.

Maybe I'm biased because I pay attention to those systems, but here's a off the cuff list of a few blockbuster upcoming games on PS3/360:

Mass Effect, Forza 2, Heavenly Sword, Halo 3, MGS4, DMC3, GT5, GTA4, UT3, Assassins Creed...

Now all I can think of for the Wii is, Mario Galaxy. That's pretty much it. Oh, and I know there'll be a new Smash Brothers game. But I dont even think that counts since there are no screenshots yet.

It seems there's a real disconnect between the incredibly strong Wii sales and the general meh attitude/lack of hype on game forums.

ayumigettinasty1fz0.gif

wiihaa.gif

Nintendo's target audience are people who dont visit gaming forums. ;)

Err, as opposed to the overwhelming tidal wave of good PS3 titles? :LOL:

They both just launched. Give it time.

Comparativly.... yeah.

Since launch, my PS3 has played host to two really good games. Now there are a couple more trickling out. And there are several more very promising ones coming down the pipe. As expected for a brand new console.

Since launch, my Wii has Had Zelda. A masterpiece which I unfortunatly don't enjoy very much. And Wii Sports, a casual gamer phenomenon that I find boring. Unlike my PS3, Instead of really good games trickling out, there are pretty good games coming out. This is dissapointing, even for a brand new console.

In my opinion, great Wii games are nowhere to be found, and nowhere in sight. Metroid Prime 3 ... then Mario Galaxy.... then... Resident Evil 4? Oops. Did I just say that?:oops:

I guess this is a good place for Dvorak's take on the Wii (yahoo news/pc magazine).

The Wii doesn't produce the elaborate and stunning HDTV look of the Sony PlayStation 3, but thanks to its controller, it proves that what really matters is the game play itself...
Left-handed, right-handed, straight ball, curve, hook, slow, fast. All the calculations were on the money, to an eerie extreme. I can't believe they actu-ally coded the simulator to reproduce pin action this accurately and in real time. And all this in a game console that's no bigger than a disk drive...
So my experience with this toy tells me that a fundamental change has taken place in game play—and it's all down to the controller. People were all pumped up about it before it came out, and now I can see why. It changes all the rules and will dominate the future of gaming. You watch.

I dont know if, or when it will catch up to the Wii.

It seems just a lot easier to hype huge, graphically instensive "experience" games on the PS3/360 than it is Wii.

Maybe I'm biased because I pay attention to those systems, but here's a off the cuff list of a few blockbuster upcoming games on PS3/360:

Mass Effect, Forza 2, Heavenly Sword, Halo 3, MGS4, DMC3, GT5, GTA4, UT3, Assassins Creed...

Now all I can think of for the Wii is, Mario Galaxy. That's pretty much it. Oh, and I know there'll be a new Smash Brothers game. But I dont even think that counts since there are no screenshots yet.

That pretty much says it. What gets eyeballs and the forums drooling are graphics. The Wii will never compete there, thus it simply won't have the same mindshare on forums such as this.

Fortunately, hardcore gamers aren't the only gamers out there. :)

Comparativly.... yeah.

Since launch, my PS3 has played host to two really good games. Now there are a couple more trickling out. And there are several more very promising ones coming down the pipe. As expected for a brand new console.

Since launch, my Wii has Had Zelda. A masterpiece which I unfortunatly don't enjoy very much. And Wii Sports, a casual gamer phenomenon that I find boring. Unlike my PS3, Instead of really good games trickling out, there are pretty good games coming out. This is dissapointing, even for a brand new console.

In my opinion, great Wii games are nowhere to be found, and nowhere in sight. Metroid Prime 3 ... then Mario Galaxy.... then... Resident Evil 4? Oops. Did I just say that?:oops:

Different strokes for different folks perhaps? hehe. When I hear about Wii from friends who have the console they're enthralled with it. And the high attach rate and sales of several different games shows that at least some people think those games are great.

But yea, it really comes down to E3. Nintendo cannot continue to rely on mass media articles to hype the console without having their games and the games of 3rd parties talked about as well. No good selling a console if people don't know what games are out there.

I can list several games that I've heard nothing but good things about (online reviews and friends who own them), but I'll be the first to admit that there isn't anything mindblowingly graphic on the Wii that would get a PS3 gamer or 360 gamer's blood pumping.

My Wii is collecting dust since last year. I brought Zelda and Rayman at launch and I had a lot of fun finishing them but that's it.

A few decent games have been released after launch but I don't find them worth of paying full price or ignoring better games released for other platforms that I own. Of the 35 "reasons" I only like 3 or 4 in total.

Back