35 reasons NOT to give up on the Wii

Your arguement is flawed because of two reasons..:-

No my point is simple and based purely on fact. Right now a lack of games is not a problem for Wii, there's no arguing with that, look at the sales. In fact if a couple of great games were released right now it would make no difference to Wii sales. If in the future good games didn't arrive then and only then would it become a problem. But the idea that good/great games won't ever come is ludicrous, just as ludicrous as the idea that people who buy a Wii aren't actually interested in future games.. Meanwhile PS3 isn't selling as well, it really could do with some big games to help move systems, not in the future, but right now. Really your argument is based purely on your own opinion. Which is that PS3 will get great games to help it while Wii will stay with the games it has now for the rest of its life... there's one word for that opinion, idiotic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since when are PS3 "graphics" novel?

As I said they aren't novel to everyone, because a lot of people have seen as good graphics on there PC. But obviously to a lot of people they are, otherwise why buy the system right now? Obviously there are probably multiple reasons, but surely graphics has to be a major one.

Wow that is awesome.
Some people here still think that Nintendo software quality outscore every other one... Miyamoto graduated from Hogwart for sure to be able to bewitch the mind that strong.

Nintendo graphics are above average.
Music quality is not even average.

How can you say that Nintendo maque quality game... fun games that is for sure, but the technical quality is not there cup of tea.

You think that graphics and sound quality are the only things that make a quality game? Gameplay is obviously by far the most important ingrediant in a game..

How can people say that Nintendo make quality games?.. pretty easily. Nintendo have produced, and continue to produce, some of the best games in the history of gaming. Four of the top six all time highest rated games on Gamerankings are from Nintendo..

But obviously to a lot of people they are, otherwise why buy the system right now? Obviously there are probably multiple reasons, but surely graphics has to be a major one.
Sure, but graphics being a reason doesn't imply they are a novelty... Unless there are hordes of people completely oblivious to the existence of the 360... i.e. 360 already set the bar for what people expect from next generation graphics. People buying PS3 are more likely just wanting more of the same (graphics wise) on the games they play (PS3 exclusives).

I was just making a comparison between calling Wii's controller a novelty and calling PS3's high end graphics a novelty. Since both are similar in that they both draw customers on there own initially ("ooh look at the graphics!", "ooh the controller is so unique!", but in the end both would end up worthless to there respective consoles without quality games. Fortunately both systems will get quality software, that's all I was saying.

The people who think Nintendo makes games of infinite quality are people who like those kind of games to begin with. Do I personally think Mario Galaxy looks like the new world order? No. Why? I'm not a Mario fan. In fact, none of Nintendo's franchises really fascinate me. They did 10 years ago, but even then I realized Mario 64 wasn't going to hold my attention like the newly invented sliced bread everyone made it out to be.

That's what it comes down to. Wii's selection is limited in that way IMO. And the future line up isn't much better.

I think the machine will prosper only if it gets a lot of really excellent exclusive games. It's very apparent to me that ports from machines vastly more powerful and with totally different control schemes is not going to work out well.

I don't know about people who think that Nintendo make games of "infinite quality" or why we're talking about such people (nobody in this thread fits that description do they?). But IMO people like Nintendo games simply because they make great games. Obviously personal taste comes into everything, But frankly I wouldn't take my own tastes as any kind of gauge of quality. The fact that I would never want to play a single second of a Final Fantasy game doesn't make the series any less great.

Nor would I think that a systems game lineup is limited because the available games don't interest me.

The people who think Nintendo makes games of infinite quality are people who like those kind of games to begin with. Do I personally think Mario Galaxy looks like the new world order? No. Why? I'm not a Mario fan. In fact, none of Nintendo's franchises really fascinate me. They did 10 years ago, but even then I realized Mario 64 wasn't going to hold my attention like the newly invented sliced bread everyone made it out to be.

That's what it comes down to. Wii's selection is limited in that way IMO. And the future line up isn't much better.

I think the machine will prosper only if it gets a lot of really excellent exclusive games. It's very apparent to me that ports from machines vastly more powerful and with totally different control schemes is not going to work out well.

The reason why Mario 64 received so many accolades at the time, and still does, is because it was the first 2D platformer to make the jump to 3D, and do it right. The sheer massiveness of the worlds, the near-perfect camera system, and the beautiful graphics were amazing.

It's also why Ocarina of Time was so highly lauded as well.

As for the Wii, it just launched 4 months ago. Give it time. Games like No More Heroes, for example, were not on the radar until last week. E3 is the true test imo.

Nor would I think that a systems game lineup is limited because the available games don't interest me.

Heh, well that doesn't really make sense.... I'm afraid that I do judge a console's library by how many titles interest me. :)

I will say that Mario 64 and Ocarina were fascinating achievements that definitely pushed gaming forward. Mario 64 especially really redefined the platformer and was the catalyst for a zillion clones.

When I think of N64, I think of Mario 64 and Goldeneye primarily. Goldeneye especially. And not for its multiplayer, but for its absolutely incredible single player.

Wii is the only "next gen" console I own right now. Wii Sports has redefined (maybe created) family gaming and is probably the best pack-in they could've hoped for. I bought Zelda with the machine but lost interest about 50 hours in (lol!) because....well I don't know why. I lack an appreciation for Japanese-style games, and Zelda definitely has that feel to it. My loss. And the color banding got to me, lol (no, I'm only almost that shallow).

But I'm really concerned about the future selection. Have I missed the hype wagon? What besides Mario Galaxy, Metroid, and Smash Bros is fascinating to people? Hoping for a new full-on Resident Evil, but 360 looks like it's going to be the platform for that series now.

For some reason it didn't occur to me that Wii would probably not be the platform for racing sims. Apparently I forgot just how many good racers Cube had (zero aside from XG and FZero :)). So I'll be grabbing a 360 for those soon, and the cool sci-fi RPGs on the way from Bioware and Silicon Knights.

I bought Zelda with the machine but lost interest about 50 hours in (lol!) because....well I don't know why.
Because it was boring? Sersiously, I thought Twilight Princess was lacking. I don't have a Wii, but the reasons I have my eyes on it are:

a) Fire Emblem
b) Battalion Wars (hugely underrated Cube game IMO)
c) It's selling like hotcakes

That last one's pretty important. However, it seems to have taken 3rd parties forever to decide to release much except shovelware on the DS, so I'm curious as to whether Wii can keep up its huge sales long enough to convince 3rd parties to make things other than PS2/PSP ports.

I think a lot of the sales are those who've tried Wii Sports and got sucked in by it. Too bad it's such a shallow game, really. Most people are just blown away and thrilled by that game when they first play it. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything else remotely as keyed into the machine's control scheme yet.

Well ...
1)The Wiimote begs for another Pikmin installment with point-and-click controls. The Gamecube Pikmins may have scared adoscelent males but were already excellent games. The controls however never totally sat right with me, I kept wrestling with the buttons here and then up until the very end. So now that there's a perfect fit, I'd like to believe that we'll be getting a completely rad and intuitive Pikmin 3 at some point.

2)I think Konami is going to do wonderful things with the Wii. Elebits was a very good start, and Dewy's Adventure looks quite promising IMO.

3)Battalion Wars is totally not my style. I've played part 1 on the Gamecube, and honestly, being coerced into "discovering" a level by running into ambushes over and over until you know where they all are and can finally beat the level by playing it yet again is just a tacky way to stretch out a game's length IMO. The mission with the big tanks and the helicopter patrols was just crazy.
The system is alright, but I do hope they shift the actual content away from pure chaos-and-mayhem more towards strategy. They can still reward fast and efficient play with the post-mission rating system after all ... that being said, if they fix it up I'd actually be interested. The first game was attractive enough for me to buy it after all.

4)Wii Fitness. Whatever they do, it'd be hard to turn it into something that would not appeal to anyone who liked Wii Sports. Guaranteed instant success.

5)Kid Icarus comeback? I'm just talking out of my left sock, but how about a Turok-esque game (FPS or TPS with bow&arrow, melee) with mild platforming and RPG elements, in a fabricated pseudo-Greek-mythology setting? It would be a linear, simplified, more focused version of the Zelda experience, with more attribute-based upgrades but less configurable buttons and items. See how that makes sense?
The guy (Pit) is confirmed to appear in Smash Bros Brawl, and the first game is already out on the VC, so the stage has been set, so to speak.

6)For the sake of completeness: Super Smash Bros Brawl, Metroid Prime Corruption, Mario Galaxy are obvious games to look forward to.

3)Battalion Wars is totally not my style. I've played part 1 on the Gamecube, and honestly, being coerced into "discovering" a level by running into ambushes over and over until you know where they all are
You know the map showed the location and identity of all enemy units, right? I beat the particular mission you mentioned on my first try by looking at the pattern of the unit location and carefully moving my units around the field so that I never engaged more than one of those tanks at a time, making sure to take out any helicopters before I encountered a tank. There were some hard missions, but I guess I like games that don't practically guarantee victory to anyone with a basic knowledge of how to operate a video game controller.

You know the map showed the location and identity of all enemy units, right? I beat the particular mission you mentioned on my first try by looking at the pattern of the unit location and carefully moving my units around the field so that I never engaged more than one of those tanks at a time, making sure to take out any helicopters before I encountered a tank. There were some hard missions, but I guess I like games that don't practically guarantee victory to anyone with a basic knowledge of how to operate a video game controller.
It didn't work that well for me. In that mission what you had to do at the start is to find the rhythm in the respective patrol patterns of helicopters and tanks, go in at the right time, kill what you came for and get back out before your units draw the attention of something they can't handle.
That's what I thought I had to do anyway. I don't remember using the map much, maybe that was what I should have been doing. It is a few months ago, so I don't even remember exactly what the map can and cannot do. Plese forgive me :-|

Back