The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ve noticed the AI doing mistakes, getting confused because of me, or losing control if I hit them too. I think I mentioned this as well in a previous post although I am not sure.

I disagree. While GT5 Prologue has progressed a little bit further, the difference in grip and tire simulation in GT:HD was already very pronounced. Have you even forgotten that drift-mode and 'normal' mode in that game was handled by the exact same engine, with the exact same parameters? ;) Some serious improvements have been made there, very visible already in the MX-5 (which was virtually impossible to drift in stock form in previous GTs) and the Evo's, and even in the Lotus (basically, just about all of them). Also, you could already spin out and do a donut, all of these are things that were not so easily done in previous GTs.

Naw, bro. Yer trippin.

You can pick up GT 1 2 3 or 4 right now and drift an MX-5 (ANY MX5, with or without modification) with ease. Or at least... I can. ;):p

GTHD is massaged a bit, but very similar to GT4, which was a significant improvement on GT3, which was a vast leap from GT2, which was pretty similar to GT1.

Another thing.... I don't think "pro mode" changes the physics. I think it just reduces, but does not eliminate, the ball-cupping that is woven into GT's controls. This struck me when I noticed that the car's line tighten as I unwound steering lock. There is a specific set of circumstances where this happens in real life. But It almost never happened in GT and it was not a matter of simulation fidelity. It was a matter of friendly controls. Now, in pro mode.... it happens.

Is it possible to unlock IS-F or any other unmasked car?
I can swear during the weekend I drew a car (which I thought IS-F at the time, but didn't check) and it had amazing handling. Now none of the available ones or masked GT-R has similar handling.

Anyhow I'm not into racers (even cars for that matter) so my interest in the game is purely from graphical standpoint. But I had real fun with this mystery car (or I was dreaming) and Lancer Evo. The rest, including GT-R were too hard for my liking. But I would like to drive Clio v6 as I have good memories with it. I didn't even bother the professional mode.
So my only negative comment gameplay-wise would be lack of sense of speed. It didn't feel anything like I was going 120 miles/h, maybe it's lack of adrenaline but I suspect it's due to camera (or lack of DoF).

Graphically however, for the most part it's the best thing I have ever seen. Garage and showroom were nothing to talk about with jaggies, weird dept-of-field, lack of reflections, unnatural lighting, etc.

But the outdoor "showrooms" and ingame car models/lighting are unbelievable (duh). AA is great and I don't think it suffers much from HDR. Most of the flickeriness seems to stem from shaders, particularly low resolution shadows (which looks be dynamic or at least sun position or car dependent).

Indeed shadows are my main complain but lack of tire marks is unacceptable, since they shouldn't be that expensive. Sprite trees didn't bug me much as in most cases they are dense enough, thus provide sense of depth and don't break illusion of realism as much as one would think.

Shockingly side tires are 3d. Who would guess by the look of them? They definately need to upgrade those shaders. I will not complain about 2d crowd but I think they can do better even with sprites.

Cockpit is much much better than I was expecting based on released media. You can even see the rear seats. Mirror car models are slightly downgraded, does have more of a "plastic cars confirmed" look we see in other racers, but nothing to nitpick.

I didn't experience much framerate problems either besides the stationary camera view in replays. But rest of the camera views (both in game and replays) have been smooth for the most part with very rare tearing and drops.

In the end, based on GT:HD who would have thought they could have so many great looking cars, decent environment, cockpit view, framerate, resolution, textures, AA? I certainly didn't expect, and cannot wait for London track to surface.

@betan: the answer is already in the quote!

This quote?
They are in fact replays ... you can even control the camera and choose which car you want to follow and so on.
If so, as I said that only means it's realtime, not necessarily replay.

I was noticing a major source of aliasing seems to be the seems between the body panels....

Are they geometry? Not textured-on? Could this 3d gap cause aliasing where a less sophisticated texture would eliminate it?

Anyhow, It's kind of neat to play a GT game in such a rough state.

Damn, they really have the unveiling animation of the Nissan GT-R 07

Very, very nice.....

Yeah, I watched it this morning too! :D The veil isn't quite the same beautiful silk as it was before the unveiling, but they do have a nice unveiling animation repeated from a few different angles, and at the end it conveniently offers to rewatch the animation too. :D

I haven't recorded it because I had to go to work, but I'm actually assuming I can rewatch the animation simply by booting up the game with another account. So maybe I'll record it then. I'm pretty convinced we'll see this kind of unveiling return in GT5 Prologue as well as the real thing, it's a nice detail.

The Mazda and Lexus are now also unlocked. Only remaining is the Subaru, which I'm sure we'll get to drive within 48 hours now. Looking forward to driving the cars some more tonight. I did take a peak at the GT-R's dashboard, which was apparently designed by PD, and it looks pretty decent. I think the little insider's GT joke is the colored square display that indicates in which gear you are currently. :D There are also some additional things on the dashboard placed in a square LCD.

It's just really cool to have all these different dashboards, I already know that the first thing I'm going to do with the Mazda and Lexus is check out those dashboards.

@Crayon: you are really mistaken. The MX-5 can powerslide, sure, but you cannot properly powerdrift it in GT4. In GT:HD it can both powerdrift and it has the right balance ... and you can also lose control and spin out in some locations in a way that is clearly different from GT4. I have done extensive testing of the grip levels and handling of the cars in GT:HD and played GT3 and GT4 to death, and while I may still be wrong, I'm not easily swayed in my opinion. ;)

You are spot on with the other bit though - simulation mode in GT5 Prologue Demo seems to be toning down the assists that are present in 'normal' mode. They're never 100% gone (at least the ABS still isn't 100% gone) and right now Normal mode is still also not as easy as I would have expected, but there's a clear difference.

Regarding the aliasing between the body panels, I think those are actually caused by shadows, which we know can still be pretty jaggy at the moment.

Regional shouldn't be exclusively available to regions, of course. Ideally all content should be available to share, but there'll be copyright issues I'm sure. I'm just thinking that the content...collectors are going to need to target some key titles for different area. I don't know what the bee's knee's is in US car programmes, but if GT is to be the de facto car-enthusiasts experience, it needs to be tied in to rest of the car culture that the enthusiasts partakes in. So that'd be Top Gear for the UK, and a fair bit of Europe too as I understand it. Whereas running Fifth Gear programmes will just get GT-TV laughed at.

GT-TV is one of those ideas that can't work small. If it doesn't have massive adoption and loads of content, it'll be a sorry little experience. Much like 'My PSP' was.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=85879
Eurogamer said:
Polyphony Digital has signed a deal with BBC Worldwide to let you watch Top Gear on your PS3.

You will be able to enjoy up to 40 episodes of the motoring show using the new Gran Turismo TV channel, which will launch on the PlayStation Network sometime next year and feature all the goings-on from the world of cars.
Advertisement

The BBC has also given the go-ahead for the famous test-track from the show to be replicated in Gran Turismo 5, so you can pop on some slightly bizarre music and thrash all sorts of expensive creations around the track just like the enigmatic Stig.

"We're sure that players will be as thrilled as we are when they get the chance to put their own driving skills to the test on the Top Gear Test Track in GT5, as well as enjoying classic episodes of Top Gear via GT TV," said Kazunori Yamauchi, end boss at developer Polyphony Digital.

:D

Excellent.

I hope they have a challenge Stig mode when you take stock cars he's thrown round the track and try and beat his times.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/movie/d1330.html
For people who don't have a PS3 (or don't have time or whatever reason) and would like to see the unveiling, They also have it on their website.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/data/movie/20071024_gt-r/gt-r_unveil.wmv

GTR Unveiling Download link

However... the in game unveiling is about 10 times better than this...
The in game one actually takes the unveiling from several different angles, and also has camera flashes at the background... Great stuff

Excellent.

I hope they have a challenge Stig mode when you take stock cars he's thrown round the track and try and beat his times.

And to make it a bit more fair, Stig should be forced to redo all the tests on the PS3 :)

Is that unveiling realtime?? :oops:
If it is, some interactive elements would be nice, like being able to rotate the view by yourself while unveiling, or even you being able to take off the cloth yourself, maybe even move it freely.
It looks amazing! Hope it will be in the GT5 too.
Too bad I can't say anything about the demo, as it's not yet in EU Store, and I'm not too willing to make a JPN account.
GT-TV + BBC's Top Gear sounds like a sweet deal, even though I personally haven 't watched a single episode, I'm sure it'll be well appreciated among car enthusiasts.

That to me shows Sony are serious about this, not just GT but the whole content thing. PSP was a damp squib, but perhaps next year Sony will finally get their whole content things active? I also anticipate some coverage at Top Gear too, just as they did GT3 on PS2, doing a GT5 feature.

Can't believe we get to drive the test track! Oh and Top Gear will love this...they will of course do a feature. They have to...We can all try and beat the celebs. Wow...GT5 is going to be an even bigger hit in the UK than I expected. I mean when Jeremy shows this off, all of Top Gears viewers will want to have a go...equaling PS3 sales. lol classic

I wouldn't get too excited, but the potential is there to make this perhaps the best TV tie-in ever? If GT5 supports downloadable performances, and the test cars are rigged with performance measurement devices, you could go head to head in time trials and races against real car performances. The appeal there for the car nut is enormous. BUT...that would be a very close tie with Top Gear, making them almost an official Sony partner. The TV programme and race track are a nice step, but I doubt the BBC are keen to go the whole way. Not least because AFAICT this is a deal with BBC Worldwide which is about distributing BBC content. To actually get the programme created with GT5 focussed content, there'd need to be negotiations with the BBC proper. Thus is Player vs. Stig and similar are ever to appear, I don't imagine it'll happen for at least a year. There'll be observation of the impact of Top Gear content on both viewings and GT5's appeal, and then contract negotiations - the BBC won't support GT out of the kindness of their hearts or a shared enthusiasm for all things cars!

I wouldn't get too excited, but the potential is there to make this perhaps the best TV tie-in ever? If GT5 supports downloadable performances, and the test cars are rigged with performance measurement devices, you could go head to head in time trials and races against real car performances. The appeal there for the car nut is enormous. BUT...that would be a very close tie with Top Gear, making them almost an official Sony partner. The TV programme and race track are a nice step, but I doubt the BBC are keen to go the whole way. Not least because AFAICT this is a deal with BBC Worldwide which is about distributing BBC content. To actually get the programme created with GT5 focussed content, there'd need to be negotiations with the BBC proper. Thus is Player vs. Stig and similar are ever to appear, I don't imagine it'll happen for at least a year. There'll be observation of the impact of Top Gear content on both viewings and GT5's appeal, and then contract negotiations - the BBC won't support GT out of the kindness of their hearts or a shared enthusiasm for all things cars!

I only ever mean comparing times, not actually racing against them :)

Comparing times would be good. And you know what they're like with emails. The moment anyone tops the scoreboards on the PS3 and emails in about it, they'll either get invited to the show to try for real or the Stig will be sat at a PS3!

Actually if they did a per season the best PS3 times on the default car will get to go to the track and try it properly, it would be some serious GT5 gaming being done :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back