Fight Night PS3 Screens

I think the biggest surprise is that it looks better at all considering for months people have been trying to convince us that the 360 GPU is superior to RSX.

I dont think people said the Xenos was superior to RSX by anything major, what has been a key point that people have been trying to get across for months is that the RSX wont afford the PS3 any huge advancements in graphics compared to the Xbox360 and that both systems will look similar in terms of the best they can produce.

I too dont see what the hype is about. Looks pretty close to the Xbox360 to me. Considering Xbox360 is in third person, and thus rendering two models, and this is in first person (i have that right?) i would hope they spent the extra power in some way.

It doesn't have anything to do with "power." If the 360 version came at the same time as the PS3 version, they would look identical. It has everything to do with the dev time. In fact, I'd go so far to say that most of the difference is artistic rather than technical. The PS3 version looks better not because it has better textures or models (they look only marginally better), but they made the lighting much more natural than the overdone lighting in the 360 version.

I dont think people said the Xenos was superior to RSX by anything major, what has been a key point that people have been trying to get across for months is that the RSX wont afford the PS3 any huge advancements in graphics compared to the Xbox360 and that both systems will look similar in terms of the best they can produce.

I too dont see what the hype is about. Looks pretty close to the Xbox360 to me. Considering Xbox360 is in third person, and thus rendering two models, and this is in first person (i have that right?) i would hope they spent the extra power in some way.

No you haven't , first person is a mode/option called get in the Ring

It doesn't have anything to do with "power." If the 360 version came at the same time as the PS3 version, they would look identical. It has everything to do with the dev time. In fact, I'd go so far to say that most of the difference is artistic rather than technical. The PS3 version looks better not because it has better textures or models (they look only marginally better), but they made the lighting much more natural than the overdone lighting in the 360 version.

who said there was ? the only argument here is , does it look much better then FNR 3 version for 360 or not as far as i can tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
No you haven't , first person is a mode/option called get in the Ring

So it does have a first person mode as i read. And they wont allow increased texture quality because of that mode? Thats what i was getting at. Didnt mean to insinuate that the PS3 version was locked to first person. Either way not to be negative, i just dont see the huge difference. The 360 HDR looks exactly like how i would imagine fluorescent lights to look off a shiny surface. PS3 version looks better because you get more detail, nothing is washed out due to the HDR exposure. But when a boxer gets hit by the right angle of light it does infact do that white glow effect. Note the picture here of the boxer on the right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoot_boxing

then look at shots of the 360 version, nothing is really abnormal about the way they did it in either version. Still need more pics from the PS3 version as well to confirm HDR is infact reduced if it exists at all.

In the end i dont see how anyone could be dissapointed graphically with either version.

I think the biggest surprise is that it looks better at all considering for months people have been trying to convince us that the 360 GPU is superior to RSX.

I think the biggest surprise is that you figure that that superiority would, if it were even true, have anything to do wtih this. Especially considering that PS3 development has been on the same GPU architecture for, what, a year and a half now? Any 360 development didn't see that same kind of final architecture until how many months before the game shipped? 8 months perhaps? BTW, the 360 development team wasn't responsible for working on the other versions of the game at the same time, I assume, right?

Besides, where is Xenos really (supposedly) superior? Dynamic branching, vertex texturing, MEMEXPORT, etc. Not running the same shader (without any of that) significantly faster or anything. Even if you try to take into account that RSX has to texture as well, then any Xenos superiority in running any shader is insignificantly small at best.

Take note of what EA has said: Both platforms offer unique opportunities, they had more time with PS3 version. That's the reason for the improvements in lighting, sweat, and I'd say skin tone as well (the color of the 360 screens look off in comparison to the PS3 shots).

But, whatever....

360:

http://i.i.com.com/cnet.g2/images/2006/016/930863_20060117_screen006.jpg

I agree the Fight Night PS3 lighting is so much more natural and realistic.
In fact the game looks superior in every way - better textures, more geometry, better lighting.

I'm sure a lot of this has to do with the added dev time.
I'm surprised that EA bothered to do anything beyond a straight port.

I find amazing that the PS3 version looks better than the oversampled PR shot of the 360 version. You can notice some aliasing just under the arm on the PS3 shots, it seems that they use 4xAA and fov. It look like HDR + 4xAA, they probably use some trick like ninja theory for Heavenly sword.

I think the main reason of the upgrade is the extra months of developpement but it is cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the main reason of the upgrade is the extra months of developpement but it is cool.
fixed.

And the FN3 screens for 360 were even released before launch at 2-3X the resolution to show off the detail so I don't get what you mean about aliasing.

Great looking but a few odd looking things.

First, the hair line looks very odd. Bad, maybe, but odd certainly. I'm sure this will be touched up and fix, very minor issue, IMO.

Second, the sweat looks almost 2D. Or rather it seems very flat against a 3D surface. Once again, very odd looking. I'm not sure if this is because of the position of the models or because its a screenshot, or both.

Overal though, very very nice.

do you know the difference between blooming and tone mapping?
hint: "tone mapping" is the key
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_mapping

congratulations.
you're the first person who has been able to tell the presence/absence of tone mapping from a single shot.

as you have no clue what tuning and general HDR approach the FN devs may have/have not used, i suggest you drop the pseudo-'i know what i'm talking about' tone. since if you really knew anything on this subject you'd have not posted what you did in the first place.

As has been mentioned, the game does look a good deal better than the X360 version, but considering that FN3 is a first-gen x360 game, and the first iteration of the series on next-gen consoles, I don't think that is unusual. If you chalk this up as the difference in power between x360 and ps3 I think you are missing the point. Take a look at Knockout Kings 2001 on PS2 vs FN2 on PS2 (or even the last in the Knockout Kings series). The difference is night and day. I would assume that if there were any benefit to PS3's horsepower over X360 it would be in the realm of physics, not poly counts (by all accounts the x360 has more ability in this department), lighting, HDR, texture resolution, etc.

For people claiming to not see a difference here's a closer comparison:

comparisonfr6.jpg

The difference is undeniable - IGN and even the developers have admitted as much.

However, I expect Fight Night 4 to look very similar on both consoles.

For people claiming to not see a difference here's a closer comparison:

The difference is undeniable - IGN and even the developers have admitted as much.

However, I expect Fight Night 4 to look very similar on both consoles.

Thank you, that makes it easier to see what people are talking about! I admit that their is a slight difference in the character models but I still maintain that it is marginal and subject to peoples likes / dislikes.

Thank you, that makes it easier to see what people are talking about! I admit that their is a slight difference in the character models but I still maintain that it is marginal and subject to peoples likes / dislikes.
As chris1515 pointed out the 360 version screenshot is not in-game but an in-engine shot with the original resolution such as 4000 x 2000 while the PS3 pic has aliasing here and there. Does anyone have in-game direct-feed shots of the 360 version?

The skin tone and lighting definitely look more life-like now. I'm curious to see the non-first person view too. And most of all, the animation.

IMO from a technical aspect 360 screens look superior to the ps3 new screenshots.
The 360 version use true hdr which makes more texture detail visible to the spectator than the pseydo hdr (ala half life 2) in the ps3 version.
You can notice that in every screenshot of the ps3 FN you get a more blurry/lossy skin texture detail.
0sh4.jpg

The hairs also in ps3 screens looks fake compared with the 360 version.
1uf3.jpg

2yc8.jpg

Now , i apologize in advance to my British friends but...
From artistic aspect in the ps3 version the white boxer looks better( actually more sexy ) because they choose a more "mediterane" skin type against the ugly - British- milky white skin of the 360version. :p

Back