Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
well i guess at least the codename of PS4 is true,no comment for others(spec,anti-used games etc)

even 2ch get this in January:
現SCEの会 Part99
http://awabi.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/sony/1326292543/
http://logsoku.com/thread/awabi.2ch.net/sony/1326292543/481
481 :It's@名無しさん :2012/01/18(水) 00:53:11.62
つーか、この会社がなくなるのは時間の問題。
O****もVita同様に死亡しそうな予感
===========
"O****"should be Orbis(don't tell me translate it,i don't know since my english is poor lol)

well i guess at least the codename of PS4 is true,no comment for others(spec,anti-used games etc)

even 2ch get this in January:
現SCEの会 Part99
http://awabi.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/sony/1326292543/
http://logsoku.com/thread/awabi.2ch.net/sony/1326292543/481
481 :It's@名無しさん :2012/01/18(水) 00:53:11.62
つーか、この会社がなくなるのは時間の問題。
O****もVita同様に死亡しそうな予感
===========
"O****"should be Orbis(don't tell me translate it,i don't know since my english is poor lol)

Anyone :?: :???:

I think Sony SOC GPU power will end up somewhere between 7750 and Pitcarn. Closer to 7850 though

Unless this is just the current devkit and they move beyond Southern Island

Well if we set aside what games ended up looking like on the 360 it was anything but fancy.

It was a noisy, most unrelieable console ever build it had a 200(?) watt external psu, no wifi, no wireless ctrl in the package, no hdmi, no memory card reader and it was dvd based (noisy at that as well) harddrive wasn't even build in. And you had to pay for online gaming!

Compared to a PS3 that was reliable, relatively quiet, psu build in, build in wireless and rechargeable controller,wifi, hdmi, bluray playback, bluetooth support for headsets, memory card reader, hdmi, free online gaming.

Sony just never were able to sell that message to the public, and the games didn´t help either. It took Sony exclusives to be able to compete on that. Imho they did more than that with uncharted, GT etc. But it took them way to long.

The Xbox was noisy, hot and the DVD drive generated a hell of a lot of vibration. The games were great but the hardware was shite. PS3 had poor reliability but it's just that the 360 was so much worse. And the 360 did suffer for this, and the PS3 did benefit relatively.

Most systems did ship with wireless controllers though, and I much prefer the 360's battery arrangement (I have a good supply of multi-purpose rechargeable AAs) to having a small built in rechargeable suicide battery like the PS3. I hope next gen pads follow the Wii60 approach and allow me to use my trusty high capacity AAs too.

I still don't use HDMI to connect my 360 either, even in 2012. HumbugDMI!

I don't think you're in touch with exactly how costly a system that's 3x as powerful as the current XB360/PS3 would be in order to sell for a profit.

For some reason people have got an out of sync idea of when the last (current) gen consoles were being designed...2003/2004..released end of 2005....its now 2012 for crying out loud!!:mad:

Are you seriously telling me that they can't make a console for 2012 3x more powerfull than Xbox360??

Just to clarify...you wouldn't need 3x all the execution units (ROPS/TMU'S/SHADERS/CLOCKSPEED/TRANSISTORS) because technology has moved on and is many times more efficient...

Take Trinity (17w) as an example...considering PPC is going to be vastly better perf/watt than Piledriver.... and you have an idea.
How much more powerfull is a x360 more than Trinity?? bandwidth aside....

And Trinity doesn't use up to date graphics either...it used VLIW 4 instead of GCN..which is vastly better.

If Ninty are having thermal issues its beacuse they are trying to do it on the cheap..using 4xxx series GPU's in 2012...likely 40nm as well....

Take the 3ds...is has WOEFULL hardware and perf/watt....yet has worse batterylife than Vita...

Discussion of PS3 vs. 360 has to remain relevant to the topic of next-gen specs. Manage yourselves, people, as you'll do a more delicate job than the mod team.

I didn't see this posted yet:

Nintendo partners with Green Hills Software for Wii U dev tool
by Tom Curtis
March 29, 2012

Newsbrief: Nintendo announced on Thursday that it has partnered with tools developer Green Hills Software to provide a development solution to all companies creating games for the upcoming Wii U console.

Developers making Wii U software will receive Green Hills' MULTI integrated development environment, which promises to help teams produce high-performance, efficient code.

"We selected the Green Hills Software solution because it generates highly optimized code, and Green Hills provides excellent global support," said Genyo Takeda, Nintendo's senior managing director of Integrated Research & Design.

For more information on Green Hills' solution, visit the company's official website.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...h_Green_Hills_Software_for_Wii_U_dev_tool.php

I think Sony SOC GPU power will end up somewhere between 7750 and Pitcarn. Closer to 7850 though

Unless this is just the current devkit and they move beyond Southern Island

The more I think the more I see pitcairn is so easily done in console.

It really sips only 100-130 watts in actual gaming. Actually 7870 is 130 watts, 7850 even less.

There's just no reason at all pitcairn at least cant be in next gen, and it's a generation leap right there.

Heck I've even seen, where some website power tuned GK104 down to a max of 142 watts, and it did not decimate performance. Knocked maybe 10-20% off, still would be great in console.

The more I think the more I see pitcairn is so easily done in console.

It really sips only 100-130 watts in actual gaming. Actually 7870 is 130 watts, 7850 even less.

"Actual gaming" would probably draw more in a console, and 130W would be somewhere around the level of both the GPU and CPU in the 90nm Xbox 360. Nothing about the relative failure of early Xbox 360 and PS3 makes me think that we'll see an escalation of the PS360 heat/power/size/noise war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back