Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because people are idiots doesn't mean they don't appreciate pretty pictures and responsive controls.

Someone has to make sure the box keeps running ... which means doing some minimum of QA for driver updates for instance. It is possible to allow manufacturers lee way in creating boxes to spec, but only if they help carry the increased burden of QA (this doesn't mean they have to do it, but they do have to pay for it).

To act like a console it has to be idiot proof, idiots can't be relied upon to handle hardware and OS configuration.

This is perhaps where a unified supplier of the chips comes in handy. Say for instance they could use AMD chipsets, CPUs and GPUs which effectively means they can update all of that from the one company in partnership which ought to help spread the QA burden.

One interesting side effect of the notion of a non-subsidized xb720 console (as being discussed for the steambox):

MS could ship windows for it ;)

I think this reason alone is enough for Sony to want to subsidize to force MS' hand to do the same to keep technical parity.

If they both go for break-even at launch and profit after, I see MS taking advantage and shipping windows for it. As an add-on of course.

MS peripheral sales for wireless kb/mouse combos would be nice and the media center work would be put to good use as well.

Matter of fact, that opens the door to licensing the tech and letting other hw builders slug it out.

Also opens the door for selling the tech into cable boxes.

Long story short, a profitable hardware model at launch opens a whole can of worms that I doubt Sony wants to deal with.

Why would Valve have to release it? They could easily release say 1-3 difference specification levels and then let people remember what number they have but let any manufacturer make them so long as they install the required software.

Say for instance:

Steam level 1
Steam level 2
Steam level 3

and so on as new levels are added. Then all someone has to do is look at the game description, or perhaps even have it autodetected for them to apply configuration settings.

Say on the spec : requires Steam level 2 to run whilst the developer recomends Steam level 4 for optimal play. It could also warn people if they were at or below the level recomended.

That would make a whole lot more sense than Valve releasing a box. It would also fundamentally solve one of the bigger problems with PC gaming outside of a browser and that is figuring out if the games will run!

"Steam/Valve Certified" :LOL:

It would be cool to see Valve get behind backing a specific Linux build that Steam and their games could be tailored to run on if they were willing to go fully OpenGL. I would still treat the "Valve Box" as a normal computer, but if games were purely direct download only off of Steam, the system could give warnings or info on how specific games run on the specific hardware for particular "Valve Box" system. Valve would really have to go through alot of trouble to pry MS into making a very stripped down version of Windows for a competitor, though I see such a system as doing well for system builders who really want a very basic Win7 OS that really cuts out all the crap.

"Steam/Valve Certified" :LOL:

It would be cool to see Valve get behind backing a specific Linux build that Steam and their games could be tailored to run on if they were willing to go fully OpenGL. I would still treat the "Valve Box" as a normal computer, but if games were purely direct download only off of Steam, the system could give warnings or info on how specific games run on the specific hardware for particular "Valve Box" system. Valve would really have to go through alot of trouble to pry MS into making a very stripped down version of Windows for a competitor, though I see such a system as doing well for system builders who really want a very basic Win7 OS that really cuts out all the crap.

Though really they wouldn't have to do any of that. All they need to be is a regular PC or whatever. The only difference is that Steam would be pre-installed and the level of steam performance would be advertised. Theres no need to actually mess with the software or Windows itself. All it would be is a regular Windows computer or laptop with steam performance levels.

I've always thought of an Activision box, not a Steam box.

Between COD and WOW, Activision controls, I dont know but, really really really huge amounts of online gameplay across both consoles and PC.

If they built a box with those two as exclusives, it would instantly be a huge hitter.

Not that it really makes sense anyway, though.

Activision has to stay friendly with Microsoft ... so it would never push the PC like that.

Microsoft already hates Valve.

It would be very interesting if Valve decided to come out with a "console" of sorts. I really doubt it would happen. More than likely I'd see them partner with Sony next gen to partner in delivering the online service. Not sure if Sony would want to give away some of their control of the ecosystem.

What if Sony decide the competition is too tough, they could decide to snuggle up to Valve and Google and provide an Android enable, Valve network platform offering the best of all worlds. They'd lose money to licensing deals and partnerships, but if it meant securing next generation in a big way, and the majority of media and games sales as a result, it could result in a net win. I do think the Google brand would bolster any console.

Agreed. I think using Steam as the online service would be a great thing for Sony. I'm just not sure either one would want to split the profits on content. I'm also not sure either company would want the other meddling in their corporate vision and all that jazz. I doubt Sony would want their customers identifying PS4 with Valve as much as they do Sony. Would Valve want to play second fiddle?

Valve may be qualified, but they dont have close to the clout or popularity Activision does with just those two franchises.

I should've further said that Steam pretty much created the digitial download market when it came to PC gaming, and I'm sure Steam heavily influenced MS and Sony in how they would implement Live and PSN this generation. I don't know what Blizzard's system in place is like at all, so I can't make comparisons. PC gamers know Steam, they pretty much breath Steam already.

It would be very interesting if Valve decided to come out with a "console" of sorts. I really doubt it would happen. More than likely I'd see them partner with Sony next gen to partner in delivering the online service. Not sure if Sony would want to give away some of their control of the ecosystem.
It would be just as bad a move to partner with them as it was to partner with Apple. Neither of them is interested in a long term partnership. Their strength is PC gaming ... if they let it die they die with it.

Diversifying into fundamentally closed systems where their foothold is at the mercy of others and actually competing with their bread and butter platform is just weak at the moment, when the PC as a gaming platform is actually losing market share. It's an advanced admittance of failure, whereas following my suggestion would be a challenge to the status quo which actually presents a path to continued growth. If the PC was a stable platform they could afford to throw some bones to competing platforms, but it isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at computers today at Fry's and Best Buy and couldn't help but think that a very large computer company like HP would make a good partner for Valve. HP could sell some more graphics cards, Valve could get some more face time in stores themselves. Even the slimline HPs (assuming they have powerful enough PSUs) could make very good, non-monstrous gaming and media machines for those who really don't understand how to build gaming computers. You can get them with an Athlon II x4, 4 GB DDR3, 500 GB+ HDD, even B/G/N Wifi for $550. HP could probably get special bulk pricing on higher end low profile video cards if Valve is involved. $650 for the previously stated specs with a Palit low profile GTS 450 included would be a pretty good deal. Just plug it into an HDTV. Steam is pre-installed and can have a little Valve + Steam sticker on the case. Customers may ask what Valve/Steam is, rep can tell them. If he isn't a complete idiot he can let them know that the graphics in the machine are beneficial for more than games. Problem is they hardly understand in the first place :(

All this talk though makes me want to buy one of those slimcase HPs or Acers, plug in a decent low profile graphics card, and paint the damn thing orange. Honestly I just want one of those pretty cases, and just put in whatever I want from there, but most slim mATX cases are pretty ugly and bigger.

I was looking at computers today at Fry's and Best Buy and couldn't help but think that a very large computer company like HP would make a good partner for Valve. HP could sell some more graphics cards, Valve could get some more face time in stores themselves. Even the slimline HPs (assuming they have powerful enough PSUs) could make very good, non-monstrous gaming and media machines for those who really don't understand how to build gaming computers. You can get them with an Athlon II x4, 4 GB DDR3, 500 GB+ HDD, even B/G/N Wifi for $550. HP could probably get special bulk pricing on higher end low profile video cards if Valve is involved. $650 for the previously stated specs with a Palit low profile GTS 450 included would be a pretty good deal. Just plug it into an HDTV. Steam is pre-installed and can have a little Valve + Steam sticker on the case. Customers may ask what Valve/Steam is, rep can tell them. If he isn't a complete idiot he can let them know that the graphics in the machine are beneficial for more than games. Problem is they hardly understand in the first place :(

All this talk though makes me want to buy one of those slimcase HPs or Acers, plug in a decent low profile graphics card, and paint the damn thing orange. Honestly I just want one of those pretty cases, and just put in whatever I want from there, but most slim mATX cases are pretty ugly and bigger.

This is silly considering whats coming in the next few months.

Bobcat is very capable and AMD is aiming at the $300-$500 laptop market.

4cpu 1 gpu core bobcat
4gigs of ddr 3 1600
500gig hardrive
wireless n
wireless keyboard and mouse.

The thing could be made for $300 or so . We know a 2/1 bobcat consumes 18w so you can get away with a case between a wii and a xbox 360 s .

Bobcat should be more than enough to run wow and it seems to run other modern games decently. It seems like from reviews cpu power is whats holding it back which is why i recommend a 4cpu core verison of the chip.

They could even go with a desktop fusion part. Phenom II 6 core with a 5350 class gpu in a single die at 32nm would most likely make a good performance part. Would run any modern game well. Most likely get better than 360 looking graphics at 720p on a hd tv. Same as above but with the phenom fusion chip would still run under $500 bucks.

Valve has good developer relations so they could get them to tweak the game for the hardware included . Heck you dangle that carrot in front of AMD and i'm sure they would cut a really good deal on the cpu/gpu just to have developers tweaking for thier gpu and cpu

Activision has to stay friendly with Microsoft ... so it would never push the PC like that.

Well, they don't seem to be happy how MS is banking Live subscriptions with Call of Duty.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/07/05/kotick-to-be-new-best-friend-of-the-pc/
http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/activision-stays-ahead-of-game-market-ftimes-6db82447d3b3.html
"We've heard that 60 per cent of [Microsoft's] subscribers are principally on Live because of Call of Duty," says Mr Kotick. "We don't really participate financially in that income stream. We would really like to be able to provide much more value to those millions of players playing on Live, but it's not our network."

Warcraft, which is played on PC rather than PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 consoles, charges a subscription and is backed by a vast technical and customer-support infrastructure, which could easily be redirected to the Call of Duty world.

Mr Kotick sees an opportunity to break the consoles' "walled gardens with new gamer-friendly PCs, designed to be plugged into the television. PCs have long been used for online play, but PC gaming remains niche when the games industry needs to widen its appeal.

"We have always been platform agnostic," says Mr Kotick. "[Consoles] do a very good job of supporting the gamer. If we are going to broaden our audiences, we are going to need to have other devices."

Activision will "very aggressively" support efforts by Dell and HP to connect PCs to TVs.

They don't get any money from the broadband fees to go online either. How's about 'adding value' to our internet connections by taking a slice of all connectivity? :rolleyes:

But that's not the point. He's actually suggesting a PC console. Are Activision seriously considering this? If they cahoot with others like Valve...well, it'd all come down to MS then. And then the shoe will be on the other foot:

"We've heard that 100 per cent of [Activisions'] subscribers paying Activision's monthly network fees are using Windows to power their network gaming. We don't really participate financially in that income stream. We would really like to be able to provide much more value to those millions of players playing on ActivisionNet, but it's not our network."

Oh god damnit, now I have to agree with Bobby fucking Kotic :(

I don't think Dell or HP are visionary enough to solve the problem like it has to be solved though, especially since to do it right will take some money and maintenance costs. The main advantages of the consoles over the PC other than cost are administration and containment. The console user has to do little of the former and anything he installs won't generally fuck up the machine as a whole.

I think it's possible to create a PC which works like that too, but it will take more than asking HP and Dell nicely ... it will take initiative and some money from the main beneficiaries (Valve and/or Activision).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back