CYBERPUNK 2077 [PC Specific Patches and Settings]

I just sent a MLA based WOLED 27" 1440p monitor back as it's brightness was pathetically dull.

Now using a mini-LED IPS panel with FALD and 1200+ nits of brightness.

Smokes the OLED I've just sent back.
Brightness alone does not bring much contrast into image. It is also not correct to relate HDR only to brightness. IPS have a contrast of 800:1 which means that if the brightness is 1000 cd/m² somewhere on the screen the darkest area is just 1.25 cd/m² dark which is very bright. A plasma manages 0.003 cd/m² and an OLED no longer measurable black.

The eye gets used to the brightness in the image. This means that even 300 cd/m² seem very bright when playing in the dark. Personally I don't need a very high brightness.

Actually, I also plan to switch to Sony or JVC LASER projectors in the future. They don't come close to TVs in terms of brightness but they can provide a very large immersive picture. Image size is very important for me.

It's not perfect, but what is these days. When i'm driving around i can notice some noise/fizzling on the road in the distance, and there's some ghosting here and there still. But i've very rarely stopped in a game and just thought to myself this is incredible while looking at the visuals and it's happened multiple times in this so far. I hope your wrong about the length of time before we see something match it, but deep down I think you will be pretty spot on with that call. I think Alan wake 2 will match it from visuals level, maybe even surpass it in some aspects but it will be fare less complex world/gameplay system wise.

It's still far from perfect. I also hope that a few visual bugs will be fixed and they will improve the graphics even more. In a conversation with Digital Foundry the CD Projekt Red developer said that this is not the end. Hopefully

Pathtracing doesn't capture some glass types correctly and so they are too bright. Particles are also still illuminated with raster. Maybe they'll look at this.

Yes, unfortunately I don't see anything on the horizon. But it would be better to be wrong.

Last edited:
Brightness alone does not bring much contrast into image. It is also not correct to relate HDR only to brightness. IPS have a contrast of 800:1 which means that if the brightness is 1000 cd/m² somewhere on the screen the darkest area is just 1.25 cd/m² dark which is very bright. A plasma manages 0.003 cd/m² and an OLED no longer measurable black.

The eye gets used to the brightness in the image. This means that even 300 cd/m² seem very bright when playing in the dark. Personally I don't need a very high brightness.

Actually, I also plan to switch to Sony or JVC LASER projectors in the future. They don't come close to TVs in terms of brightness but they can provide a very large immersive picture. Image size is very important for me.

OLED on the left vs Mini-LED IPS with FALD

IMG20230927230837.jpg

That light bloom is distractingly bad. Good for people that don't notice, but yeah, no way I can ever go back to non-per-pixel lighting.

As for brightness, I have to turn down the brightness of my OLED while gaming otherwise it's too bright (dim or dark room depending on my mood).

Regards,
SB

They're identical in person.

I can't go back to OLED after playing CP2077 on a 1200nit display as it looks dull.

Finally got around to playing the DLC. It very much feels like CP1.5 The world is so much more dense, detailed and alive. I had to drop DLSS from Quality to balanced as it's certainly more GPU heavy but totally worth it for the visual treat. Then there's Starfield lol

image.png

They're identical in person.

I can't go back to OLED after playing CP2077 on a 1200nit display as it looks dull.
Do you need to wear sunglasses on day scenes?

I got 800 nits lg CX oled and it's already so bright, I need to squint. The sun that pops up when going up on a ramp from inside a tunnel is the worst offender.

Although if I didn't play in pitch black room, it's too dim.

I'm fucking dumb. Turns out since phantom liberty released, I've been playing with power saver power profile and only 80% max cpu speed. I though the slower load time was due to the update 2.0 was announced with heavy cpu usage warning.

I didn't notice it because windows no longer slow AF in power saver mode. I noticed it because I was planning to idle the PC while powered on for a prolonged time so I went to switch to power saver profile.... Oh it's already power saver 🤣

I like that it doesn't try to change the look of the game just makes it better.
Some of these textures look absolutely atrocious. The modder did an unbelievable job there. Now he just needs to update the asset quality like he did with Witcher 3 and then we need to find a way to reduce pop-in.

Then CP2077 can truly be called a full current gen game, at least from a graphical perspective.

I like that it doesn't try to change the look of the game just makes it better.

Cp2077 is weird. It is as if at some point the game was designed for 3rd person (thus the low quality assets). Then they changed it to 1st person (thus the high quality character model and animation for some NPC, wah above what normally on open world game)

Cp2077 is weird. It is as if at some point the game was designed for 3rd person (thus the low quality assets). Then they changed it to 1st person (thus the high quality character model and animation for some NPC, wah above what normally on open world game)
I think any of the asset wonkiness is down to dev time and straddling cross-gen. Some assets were made under different constraints and different time points most likely.

what mod is this and its surprising that the game (and physics) works fine at such low speed

Think that was the old sandevision builds, they nerfed it in 2.0 and you can only get the slowmo up to 85% now and can't keep it going for as long, that's still extremely OP aswell. I was too lazy to respec my netrunner build and try it but i remember seeing some pretty crazy videos.

found an old video for you to check out.

There are some interesting things in the notes for that mod regarding the denoiser in ray reconstruction.

"For the curious. NVIDIA ray reconstruction is not really "ray reconstruction", it's NVIDIA NRD, which I've been following for a while. The term "ray reconstruction" is a little misleading (sorry NVIDIA). Instead, it does a few things: 1) It saves rays calculated from previous frames to be reused in the current frame, 2) it calculates all rays in a single procedure enabling a single denoise pass (rather than multiple denoise passes in previous-gen RTX)... enabling 3) a new denoise method. I've simplified the methods here a little.

Within NRD, there are several choices to be made by game devs, one of which is "which denoiser to use" — I.e. ReLAX or ReBLUR.

CDPR chose ReLAX, likely because it is "faster". Specifically, as you move around in-game, ReLAX "resolves" the image in fewer frames, meaning within 1–2 frames, you have a stable image (and for this argument, clear reflections).

However, in my opinion this was the wrong decision. Here's why:"

So I tried the quality reduction mod....80% of the time you won't tell the difference.

I used the fastest version which produced slightly smeary textures but with Ray Reconstruction enabled they still look loads better then the reflections do with Ray Reconstruction disabled.

With DLSS set to quality mode and no frame generation my minimum FPS wen't from 38fps to 62fps.

The mod says it reduces the resolution of the ray tracing but it also massively culls the BVH as seen in the below reflection.

The devs promise to make even more Path Tracing improvements for Cyberpunk for both visuals and performance. Also, FSR3 is coming but it's going to take time.

We focused on low-light image stability and overall image quality delivered with Path Tracing. We implemented a quality booster for indirect calculations that stabilized the situations where there normally was a little luminance energy, and as a result, we had a low amount of light samples, resulting in a “boiling” and blurriness effect

Back