CYBERPUNK 2077 [PC Specific Patches and Settings]

The games actually ran at those frame rates.
how many games did you test? During fast movement it's really impossible to see a jaggie, at least for me. Have you tried with a game like Elden Ring? I didn't go further with my testing back then -not many games I could play at 240fps on my GTX 1060 3GB-. Your RX 7900XTX is a rasterizing monster -huge framerates-

I found that playing Xenon Racer with bare minimum settings to achieve 240fps, so no AA at all, it went from a jaggie fest to a super clean looking game just from the framerate alone.

Last edited:
dang. CP2077 has always had perf degradation the longer i play, but with 2.11, the performance degradation can occur in like 5-10 minutes.

the good thing is that to bring the performance back, i only need to pause the game for around 30s, then unpause. while before 2.11 i would need to go to title screen, then load a save.

also weird that when i play in 1440p, GPU usage maxxed at around 70% despite only running for like 50-60fps with vsync off and fps cap at 77fps.

EDIT:
oh! maybe i forgot to change windows power profile from power saver to balanced again ROFL.

how many games did you test? During fast movement it's really impossible to see a jaggie, at least for me. Have you tried with a game like Elden Ring? I didn't go further with my testing back then -not many games I could play at 240fps on my GTX 1060 3GB-. Your RX 7900XTX is a rasterizing monster -huge framerates-

I found that playing Xenon Racer with bare minimum settings to achieve 240fps, so no AA at all, it went from a jaggie fest to a super clean looking game just from the framerate alone.

Like a bomb load!!!

New games, old games, FPS, racing, third person....you name it.

What I have observed in the last few weeks that if you want to have photorealistic optics you should also simulate the properties of a camera and it's errors.

These are, for example:
-Depth of Field
-Motion Blur
-Halation
-Halo
-Film Grain
-Lens Flares
-Lens Diffusion
-Lens Distortion
-Chromatic Abberation

Games tend to get closer to films/photographs if they use them then if they don't.

You don't need all of them. Blade Runner 2049 has no lens flares and a cleaner looking picture.

Last edited:
Speaking for myself, I'm playing these games as "me", not as watching a movie where I'm along for the ride.

As such, in my real life and using my own two eyes, I'm not going to see lens errors such as flare/diffusion/distortion and chromatic aberration, nor would I see film grain and halation. Motion blur can certainly reflect what our eyes perceive in real life, however forced depth of field (eg without eye tracking) isn't very "real" either. As such, in effectively every game I play now, I turn all of that garbage off, usually to include motion blur just because.

Now, some welcome additions might be the introduction subtle random "head" movement and a really good HDR implementation on a high quality high-nits screen.

I can also see lens flares, image noise and halo with my own eyes.
Might be time to see an eye doctor ;)

I wear hard contacts, which are the same diameter as the colored part of your eye. If I'm tired and it's late in the evening, my contacts will start to "sag" and slightly drift off my cornea. When this happens, I can see a bit of lens distortion and what could best be described as "lens flare" at the upper edge of very bright point lights. This isn't a natural occurrence, and an unobstructed human eyeball has no reason to see flares, image noise and halos. Maybe if you want to talk about "floaters" as image noise? Even then, I have my own floaters, which means I don't need a game to introduce more, the same way I have my own method of creating depth of field when I focus on an element on the screen but not another...

All of these extra-added items are products of stacked lenses found in cameras, where light bounces between the various glass lens elements and causes additional distortions to appear. Lens flare, lens distortion, lens diffusion, film grain and chromatic aberration all literally get their names from the various erroneous visible artifacts stacked lenses (or even older, the use of film) bring into the original picture.

Looks like CD Projekt RED changed Pathtraing again with the latest update:

I've also noticed that the color switching area light illuminates everything a bit faster again.

Copied text and images:

UPDATE 2: Yep I'm pretty sure they've implemented ReGIR and/or more sophisticated RIS, AND they've moved many more (all?) things into the PT worldspace.

Actors, skin and hair are now properly in the PT worldspace. Some examples...

Example 1:
These are taken within a few real frames of each other. Notice the brightness of the sky changes as objects change in worldspace. This is how ReGIR works... As objects in each grid space change, it allocates different amounts of rays to grids

IX0voLP.jpeg

GIptb6o.jpeg

Example 2:

Bright reflection from vehicle headlights on a sign... Rays are properly allocated from camera to off-screen
YG7o8uW.jpeg

Example 3:
Screenspace reflections aren't being used for rough reflections any more. This is Screenspace Reflections = "Psycho" vs. "Off"
55gWPri.png

eBZz4zH.png

Example 4:
Very few rays are allocated to the face at a distance in a complex scene. As you approach, more rays are allocated (as per RIS/ReGIR/etc.) ... Also, actors, faces, skin, hair, is now properly in PT worldspace and is no longer using env probes.
Fo6NpAH.jpeg

mmsDULg.png

Example 5:
Multi-directional shadows on actors
pkdIc0F.jpeg

Example 6:
Just generally far more sophisticated lighting on everything. I can't see any tricks here any more, this is full path tracing. Also specular and rough specular is extremely difficult to do well in PT, this is impressive (I wonder if vegetation is in PT now?)
7iS3EMu.jpeg

The bad news... Most of the ini commands are no longer wired up to anything. We can't change much of any significance. There may yet be a workaround for PT20, but I don't hold out much hope.

I wear hard contacts, which are the same diameter as the colored part of your eye. If I'm tired and it's late in the evening, my contacts will start to "sag" and slightly drift off my cornea. When this happens, I can see a bit of lens distortion and what could best be described as "lens flare" at the upper edge of very bright point lights. This isn't a natural occurrence, and an unobstructed human eyeball has no reason to see flares, image noise and halos. Maybe if you want to talk about "floaters" as image noise? Even then, I have my own floaters, which means I don't need a game to introduce more, the same way I have my own method of creating depth of field when I focus on an element on the screen but not another...

All of these extra-added items are products of stacked lenses found in cameras, where light bounces between the various glass lens elements and causes additional distortions to appear. Lens flare, lens distortion, lens diffusion, film grain and chromatic aberration all literally get their names from the various erroneous visible artifacts stacked lenses (or even older, the use of film) bring into the original picture.
I'll answer that later.

Last edited:
I've also noticed that the color switching area light illuminates everything a bit faster again.
Cool, i've struggled with that slower light propagation. Once I noticed it after that update I just could not stop seeing it so i'll have to go see if this gets it back to a level I don't fixate on. Was there any performance loss with that update?

Last edited:
Looks like CD Projekt RED changed Pathtraing again with the latest update:

Copied text and images:

UPDATE 2: Yep I'm pretty sure they've implemented ReGIR and/or more sophisticated RIS, AND they've moved many more (all?) things into the PT worldspace.

Actors, skin and hair are now properly in the PT worldspace. Some examples...

Example 1:
These are taken within a few real frames of each other. Notice the brightness of the sky changes as objects change in worldspace. This is how ReGIR works... As objects in each grid space change, it allocates different amounts of rays to grids

IX0voLP.jpeg

GIptb6o.jpeg

Example 2:

Bright reflection from vehicle headlights on a sign... Rays are properly allocated from camera to off-screen
YG7o8uW.jpeg

Example 3:
Screenspace reflections aren't being used for rough reflections any more. This is Screenspace Reflections = "Psycho" vs. "Off"
55gWPri.png

eBZz4zH.png

Example 4:
Very few rays are allocated to the face at a distance in a complex scene. As you approach, more rays are allocated (as per RIS/ReGIR/etc.) ... Also, actors, faces, skin, hair, is now properly in PT worldspace and is no longer using env probes.
Fo6NpAH.jpeg

mmsDULg.png

Example 5:
Multi-directional shadows on actors
pkdIc0F.jpeg

Example 6:
Just generally far more sophisticated lighting on everything. I can't see any tricks here any more, this is full path tracing. Also specular and rough specular is extremely difficult to do well in PT, this is impressive (I wonder if vegetation is in PT now?)
7iS3EMu.jpeg

The bad news... Most of the ini commands are no longer wired up to anything. We can't change much of any significance. There may yet be a workaround for PT20, but I don't hold out much hope.

I'll answer that later.

Awesome news, I'll be testing this later. I too was disappointed by the change in environmental illumination from the latest patch.

Had a chance to go and try the new update. It's a little better, I didn't notice it all the time in my peripheral like I was with the last update when in combat doing fast 180 degree turns but I'm still noticing it more than I did with the old mode. Had a quick look at the coloured tube area that was shown in the original promo material and I'm seeing a little of the colour on the ground and wall which is more than I could see in the last update but it's still not as obvious as 2.0. I tried turning RR off because I remember someone saying turning that off made the light changes closer to 2.0 but it didn't seem to have any effect for me just now.

Performance didn't seem any worse from my quick look so that's a win but I didn't really get into any real heavy areas to check my lows properly.

Had a quick look at the coloured tube area that was shown in the original promo material and I'm seeing a little of the colour on the ground and wall which is more than I could see in the last update but it's still not as obvious as 2.0.

Yes this was 100% what I found as well. The environmental lighting effect is easily more subtle than 2.0 but it's a little stronger than 2.1. However the other big result for me is that the ghosting now seems to be entirely gone. So improved over 2.1 even though the environmental lighting is stronger. So a great win there.

With the mod you should also be able to implement the older PT of 2.0.

1709667522121.png

EDIT

Halos are often seen with bright light sources. Other listed things tend not to be visable with bare eye.

I didn't say that you need all of them in games but a few.

The noise is this visual snow one:
This can be seen particularly well in dark areas or areas of the same colour. Or if you simply close your eyes.

Lens flare is more like Astigmatism (left)
1709668642441.png

I don't have Astigmatism but sometimes I also see vertical lines like this.

Last edited:
The point I was trying to drive home is: if your eyes already have those problems (i have terrible astigmatism) then those effects already apply and I don't need yet another layer of it. Said another way, I want to play as me, not as an ephemeral disembodied camera in a movie.

I obviously don't speak for everyone and wouldn't pretend to. Nevertheless, all these mods which add even more lens and film errors into a game and then declare themselves as "adding realism" seem to miss the point: none of this is what you'd experience in the real world, it's all artifacts of a camera. A more accurate way to describe these effects would be "cinematic", although I recognize many mods get their naming right and I have no quarrel with those.

Yes this was 100% what I found as well. The environmental lighting effect is easily more subtle than 2.0 but it's a little stronger than 2.1. However the other big result for me is that the ghosting now seems to be entirely gone. So improved over 2.1 even though the environmental lighting is stronger. So a great win there.
This is a good point, I did feel like the image was a bit sharper in motion but wasn't sure if it was the effect of playing enshrouded before hand which tends to feel very soft to me but if the ghosting has been reduced it was probably this making it feel not as soft. I did also notice the faces on npc's didn't seem to be screwed up at medium/long distances as often which I think was a RR problem but it does seem improved.

Back