Forza Motorsport [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

there are plenty of videos on youtube already comparing car models, and showing more detail in GT7, but as i said, since both are similar in power, if you put more details on cars in GT7 during gamplay, you have to put less somewhere else. So it's not that XsX could not render the same level of details on cars during gameplay, it's just a design decision.

At the time, Driveclub was doing smart things, like putting the full LOD model of the player's car during gameplay, when racing in time trial because that was the only car to render on track. GT7 does not do that, don't know about Forza.

Ah, you mean the car models are more complex.

To my eyes I think its more about lighting, shaders and colors that makes me prefer the look of GT7 during probably most (but not all) conditions.
*Skies in GT7 seem more striking with more beautiful colors, than the procuderal ones in FM.
*Car lights pop more in GT7, seem m
*Sky seem to reflect more on roofs and hood on cars in GT7. Cars tend to look flat in FM.
*Color palette and lighting seem more natural and aesthecialy pleasing in GT7. Maye its a color mapping thing? The use of HDRIs? Better selection of colors for grass, gravel etc?
*Glare/bloom effect seem more prominant in GT7. It makes the image a bit more "dirty" and add a bit of realism.
*Something about car shades seem off to me in FM.

Anyone else care to chime in?

Yeah I wonder about this - like, it is so laggy and grainy.
Do you have any idea why DLAA and DLSS seem to have almost no performance hit/gain? Also the DLAA looks nowhere near as clean as in other games I've used it in. Still plenty of aliasing!

So yeah after playing a while i like the game a lot but unfortunately, the game is in an unfinished state.
Going back to the game from Quick Resume every time crashes a game for me, the game freezes in the menu and then dies.
Saving replays is impossible, the game is stuck on reading something and never finishes.
I cannot complete one of the constructor races as after buying updates the game is stuck on "applying upgrades" i have to opt out to the dashboard and kill the game, my progress is lost and i have to redo the last race ( i did Silverstone 4 times already and this is practice + race).
Mapple valley has a visual bug when fog is on track, basically game becomes a stroboscope.
I am really curious about what they have spent 6 years on. This game looks like "Halo Infinite" with multiple reboots and whatnot. Has to be i have no other explanation for what's going on. Seems like it could need a few months more in the oven which seems crazy as it was so long in development.

Today I played GT4 on PS2 on CRT TV, and to be honest cars in GT4 looks more realistic than in FM 2023. Less detailed for sure, but more realistic.

Today I played GT4 on PS2 on CRT TV, and to be honest cars in GT4 looks more realistic than in FM 2023. Less detailed for sure, but more realistic.

As absurd as that sounds on the face of it, I suspect I understand why that would be the case. Basically the crazy low res of the PS2 game couples with the natural AA of a CRT TV obscures so much detail that your brain fills the rest in with its own picture of realism. As long as the colour grading is spot on (and GT has always been great at this) then the illusion of looking at something real, but largely out of focus should be pretty decent.

Put GT4 on a modern PC monitor at 4k via emulation though (as I can with GT6) and you would see how utterly incomparable it is to any modern racer aside from the colour grading.

But as I said, PS2 and CRT TV. That is how GT4 meant to be played. Other options will not give same effect. And as I said I know what level of details is a lot and a lot lower, but cars paints and metelic look is amazing even today.

PD just have way better artists tbh. Compare Forza Motorsport (the original one, how silly is it that I have to specify this) and GT4. FM was doing much more tech wise but GT4 has stood the test of time so much better..It just looks right. Forza even to this day just has weird shading, they cannot get plastic correct. Wheels truly look terrible in the upgrade menu, they still use wonky car models and just overall the look is not up to par with PD.

Not really. Your brain is just filling in the missing detail.
All games are an illusion in some way. :)
Equalise the viewing method and modern games blow it away.
Not exactly. In terms of how real cars look GT always were better than other racing games. Of course GT5 and all GT after that is more realistic, but other games just can't compete. I speak about how real cars looks in first place, and in some other stuff also.

Not funny. Not even a little bit.
Your remark about a PS2 exclusive looking better than the XB equivalent smacks of trolling, If you are wanting a meaningful discussion around this, you'd need to pretty something better than 'this game looks better to me'. If you can't support that view in this thread because it requires a CRT, just keep that opinion to yourself as unproductive in this context.

The PC version at max settings doesn't have as much foliage as the Xbox Series X on quality mode

47.jpg

I am sure some major shift happened during development similar to Halo infinite. There is no way this is a product of smooth 7 years of development.

Back