30 fps unplayable on OLED, alternatives?

Maybe Alex in DF can jump but what I took fro the DF analysis was that PS5's VRR implementation is industry standard, operating between 48Hz to 120Hz - the same as Xbox. What Xbox offers that PS5 does not is Low Framerate Compensation (LFC). What Sony supports on 120Hz TVs is an output for 40fps by showing each frame for three frames on a 120hz display.

All of this requires support by thd dev because on a fixed rate, whatever is in the target frame is output to the display regardless of whether it's finished, whereas in a VRR arrangement, you 'dispatch' each frame once completely rendered.

LFC? Is that something that could the issues Im having If I played on my XSX instead?

LFC? Is that something that could the issues Im having If I played on my XSX instead?
LFC is "Low Framerate Compensation". It only kicks in if the game goes below a certain framerate, and it merely just displays the previous frame. Do you get headaches from watching static images? It usually only used on 120Hz displays.

Low framerate compensation, or LFC, extends the window in which you can sync the render rate to the refresh rate using adaptive sync. When the framerate falls below the minimum refresh rate of the monitor, frames are simply displayed multiple times and the display runs at a multiple of the required refresh rate.

In our previous example, to display 40 FPS using LFC, every frame is doubled and then this output is synced to the display running at 80 Hz. You can even run games at, say, 13 FPS and have that synced to a refresh rate; in that case the monitor would run at 52 Hz (to exceed the 48 Hz minimum) and then every frame would be displayed 4 times.

The end result is LFC effectively removes the minimum refresh rate of adaptive sync displays, but for LFC to be supported, the monitor needs to have a maximum refresh rate that is at least double the minimum refresh rate. This is why not all FreeSync monitors support LFC; some come with just 48 to 75 Hz refresh windows, which doesn't meet the criteria for LFC. However in the case of FreeSync 2, every monitor validated for this spec will support LFC so you won't have to worry about the minimum refresh rate of the monitor.

FreeSync 2, every monitor validated for this spec will support LFC so you won't have to worry about the minimum refresh rate of the monitor.
whoa! thats superb! no more headache of checking reviews one-by-one and hopefully someone did deep enough testing.

whoa! thats superb! no more headache of checking reviews one-by-one and hopefully someone did deep enough testing.
the monitor I have as of currently was Freesync 2 when it was launched, back in 2019. A logo appeared on the monitor screen once you switched it on indicating that. Right now, after firmware updates, instead of a Freesync 2 logo there is a Freesync Premium Pro logo, which seems to be the new standard instead of Freesync 2.

I guess I'll wait for Freesync premium pro ultra platinum to be extra sure
maybe that's what they call VRR. In that sense I still prefer how Freesync feels on my monitor than VRR on my TV, it is snappier, more agile, regardless of the fact that the TV is 4K native and the monitor is 1440p, the response is still faster and while it's fast on the TV tbh, the monitor feels different.

Anyone who have moved on from OLED because of this issue, and what are you using instead?

Im considering either replacing my GF old LCD in the bedroom with a cheap 50" LCD with HDR, or replace my OLED.

oh found interesting table on rtings https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/stutter

LG A1 OLED managed to be smoother than any other oled.

looking at the table again, its weird. isnt A1 and A2 supposedly use the same EVO panel? and CX and BX the same latest panel gen before EVO?

i wonder if the stutter varies wildly between production batches. like how DSE and banding varies wildly in OLED sceeens

Maybe my best bet is getting a pretty cheap LCD with slow response time to mitigatete the motion judder, to use with 30 fps games? And keep the LG for 60 fps games and other stuff?

oh found interesting table on rtings https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/stutter

LG A1 OLED managed to be smoother than any other oled.

looking at the table again, its weird. isnt A1 and A2 supposedly use the same EVO panel? and CX and BX the same latest panel gen before EVO?

i wonder if the stutter varies wildly between production batches. like how DSE and banding varies wildly in OLED sceeens

Thanks for the article!

have you managed to find a solution?

Modern TVs usually have some judder reduction techniques, and they do the job, it's a bit like DLSS 3 -obvious differences aside-. I discovered I had that on my TV yesterday, and locked a couple of games to 30fps 4K to see how they run.

Also, these picture settings -with a few personal touches- worked really good for me (the reply from the [deleted] account. So easy on the eyes, yet beautiful.

have you managed to find a solution?

Modern TVs usually have some judder reduction techniques, and they do the job, it's a bit like DLSS 3 -obvious differences aside-. I discovered I had that on my TV yesterday, and locked a couple of games to 30fps 4K to see how they run.

Also, these picture settings -with a few personal touches- worked really good for me (the reply from the [deleted] account. So easy on the eyes, yet beautiful.

You are comfortable with the added latency?

this article titled "The best Samsung picture settings – explanation and recommendation", while focused on Samsung TVs, could well be a must read for any TV model.

This other brief article on Black Frame Insertion is also very interesting.

btw @ZebMacahan , have you tried disabling Game Mode? I couldn't play 30fps games at all before since quite a few years ago. I just disabled Game Mode and now those 30fps games are actually playable for me and look much smoother. In fact, to test things out since both games are easily playable at 60fps, I locked a couple of games to 4K 30fps like Elden Ring, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and those games are no longer a jerkiness fest. In fact they run "smooth", surprisingly so, they don't bother me.

Last edited:
BFI aside another thing to try is Judder Reduction -that's how Samsung calls it, under Picture Clarity Settings-. It works wonders in games. I locked Elden Ring to 30fps and tried with Game Mode on, the framerate was unbearable.

Then I set Game Mode to Off and I switched to regular Picture Settings; Movie (also with Filmmaker Mode). I first tried with Judder Reduction at 0. There wasn't much of a change of course.

Finally, I set the Judder Reduction to the max value, 10. And boy, the difference was staggering. In fact with animations where the camera doesn't turn around it could easily pass for a 60Hz game. 👌 If you rotate the camera, of course the movement isn't as smooth, but it's much much smoother than 30fps.

If only I can stand the latency...

IIRC is here's only 1 brand, Panasonic that allows motion interpolation in game mode.

Back