Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Polygons are distributed to up to 128 triangle clusters/meshlets, which are used for culling.
If clusters become big or very thin the culling efficiency drops.
So it is good to have enough polygons to make clusters reasynably good sized and shaped.
Indeed, there were a few cases where we had to ask the artists to tessellate things like large light blocker meshes more in the original Lumen in the land of Nanite demo to get better culling. This has gotten less necessary over time, but it's still beneficial to avoid really large triangles, especially for shadows, as those clusters can easily cover many pages/clipmap levels. Nanite of course handles this much better as only the cluster needs to be transformed/rasterized multiple times (with non-nanite the whole mesh has to be re-transformed/rasterized per cascade/clipmap level) but it's still a consideration for large meshes.

The performance tradeoffs are also just different for Nanite. Raw triangle count is much less important as a determiner for performance, whereas things like good occlusion culling, minimal/cheap WPO where present and material counts matter relatively more.

The more I hear about ue5 the more I think its just as important a revelation in gaming advancement as pure hw power increase.

These tools feel like they're fundamentally changing how games themselves are made as opposed to simply being a good engine that can make pretty graphics if it felt like it.

I wonder how far nanite is from being able to be used for literally everything in a game geometry wise. I mean like deformable things, actual moving character models and such

Using UE groom in UE 5 running on a PC with a 2080 Ti more tweet inside the 80level article.
Wow, that is super cool. We really need good hair in video games. Though, while its impressive this is running at runtime on a 2080Ti, I think that kind of hair is still not possible to use in a game because all it does here is rendering a black room with puppets and is likely pushing the GPU very hard already.

Most of this stuff won't make it into games, at least not until at least next generation of consoles and the base PC targets raise in 5+ years. People have been creating isolated real-time amazing simulations etc. for many years, way before UE5, but we still don't see any of it in games.

This is looking very good and a little video in artstation

joshu-highresscreenshot00006.jpg

This is so good and why Nanite is a must.

And this is true

I am curious to see if other engine will follow the step of Epic. Guerrilla Games said they were interested for at least the water rendering and it seems it a subject of discussion with other Sony studios.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with normal game environment 8k textures probably isn't neccesary right 🤔

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with normal game environment 8k textures probably isn't neccesary right 🤔

They use 4k textures but it is the same at the end the textures takes more space than Nanite geometry because it is based on instancing. If all geometry was unique it would be a huge problem.

In Matrix Awakens demo, they use only 4k textures.

What's that going to do to game sizes though? Will artists create with complete abandon and detail balloon?

They will optimize too if needed and same Matrix Awakens is a full open world city and texture are the biggest part of the asset. But they won't optimize because of polycount or draw call performance they will reach the limit much later with game size.

For example in the first demo of UE 5 they were using 8k texture and for the biggest demo Matrix Awakens it was 4k texture, they can optimize geometry too if the game size balloon.

And Nanite is not following the same principle than Megatexture with textures, they don't need unique geometry. It is very good with instancing.

Last edited:
They use 4k textures but it is the same at the end the textures takes more space than Nanite geometry because it is based on instancing. If all geometry was unique it would be a huge problem.

In Matrix Awakens demo, they use only 4k textures.
Is 4k texture much smaller than 8k texture

Is 4k texture much smaller than 8k texture

4k textures are four times smaller then 8k textures but I think for Matrix it was too the biggest size ont the asset side. Matrix Awakens demo was only 25.1 GB on PS5 and 29 GB on Xbox Series if I remember well.

4k textures are four times smaller then 8k textures but I think for Matrix it was too the biggest size ont the asset side. Matrix Awakens demo was only 25.1 GB on PS5 and 29 GB on Xbox Series if I remember well.
Again correct me if I am wrong but that bodes well for sizes. The matrix demo is a huge open world and is very small in terms of footprint, smaller than many 8th gen games. So even if devs want to make unique geometry, the size footprint should not really balloon much compared to current games even with so much more polygons and 4k textures which definitely were not used in last gen products.

If I am understand right it seems like a magical upgrade with no downsides

Back