Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Again correct me if I am wrong but that bodes well for sizes. The matrix demo is a huge open world and is very small in terms of footprint, smaller than many 8th gen games. So even if devs want to make unique geometry, the size footprint should not really balloon much compared to current games even with so much more polygons and 4k textures which definitely were not used in last gen products.

If I am understand right it seems like a magical upgrade with no downsides
It's big in size but there is a lot of repetition in the assets overall though.

Last edited:
Again correct me if I am wrong but that bodes well for sizes. The matrix demo is a huge open world and is very small in terms of footprint, smaller than many 8th gen games. So even if devs want to make unique geometry, the size footprint should not really balloon much compared to current games even with so much more polygons and 4k textures which definitely were not used in last gen products.

If I am understand right it seems like a magical upgrade with no downsides

More detailed meshes are much bigger. However, use of more detailed meshes can reduce the need for inefficient 2D detailing via textures. Their example though is a rock with limited detailing that can be reused across rocks, a fairly optimal case. Something like a table from the Tweet would need unique textures. As such, populating a room with million-poly objects will increase file size, and more variety of objects with less repetition also (same with static meshes). A lot depends on how much you use textures where greater texture use means a lower proportional increase in data sizes from high-detail geometry.

Epic also boast better compression for Nanite, 7:1 versus static mesh compression with 4 LODs.

It does look like use of Nanite means marginal increase in storage requirements for an exponential increase in fidelity, but the proof of the pudding will be in released games with minimal repeated assets.

That’s actually a little scary. Resources aren’t infinite. Nanite is awesome but it doesn’t mean developers are free to do stupid things now.

Again game size and current gen console will dictate the limit. They need to release game of maximum 100 GB to be able to ship game on a single Bluray disk and games able to run well on current gen console and at least the PC of Silent hill 2 steam requirement.

• MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-8400 | AMD Ryzen 3 3300X
    • Memory: 12 GB RAM
    • Graphics: AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 / NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 50 GB available space
    • Sound Card: Windows Compatible Audio Device.
    • Additional Notes: Playing on minimum requirements should enable to play on Low/Medium quality settings in FullHD (1080p) in stable 30 FPS.
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K | AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® 2080RTX or AMD Radeon™ 6800XT
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 50 GB available space
    • Sound Card: Windows Compatible Audio Device.
    • Additional Notes: Playing on recommended requirements should enable to play on Medium quality settings in 60 FPS or High quality settings in 30 FPS, in FullHD (or 4k using DLSS or similar technology).

Truth is they can release a 72 MB 'installer' on BRD and have the player have to download the rest! :rolleyes:

Yes but it is not the case of most game. And Call of Duty is the biggest game. It is often around 200 GB of data counting everything campaign, multiplayer and warzone. This is by far the biggest game in size. This is an exception not the rule.

EDIT: And Call of duty don't use UE 5

Yes but it is not the case of most game. And Call of Duty is the biggest game. It is often around 200 GB of data counting everything campaign, multiplayer and warzone. This is by far the biggest game in size. This is an exception not the rule.

EDIT: And Call of duty don't use UE 5
I actually stopped buying cod games entirely because the sizes post MW reboot were just too ridiculous. I generally only played the campaign anyway though.

I agree with you though. 100GB should generally be the limit not for disc reasons but just general respect for the player limited space in general 😂

Anyway. Thank you @chris1515 @Shifty Geezer @Karamazov , I know a lot more now than when I started

If I were a dev, I'd be very conscious of storage requirements of my game this gen.

Unless one's working in one of those "Must Play" games such as GTA, COD, FF, Halo, etc (games with a large base of players that will do whatever it takes to play them) there is a very real possibilty that a title may lose some sales because the file size was too big and the user did not want to delete one of the games from their small SSDs to accomodate for a new large download.

I actually stopped buying cod games entirely because the sizes post MW reboot were just too ridiculous. I generally only played the campaign anyway though.

I agree with you though. 100GB should generally be the limit not for disc reasons but just general respect for the player limited space in general 😂

Anyway. Thank you @chris1515 @Shifty Geezer @Karamazov , I know a lot more now than when I started

Right as I was typing my previous post, you came and proved my point. Thank you.

Right as I was typing my previous post, you came and proved my point. Thank you.
😂 No problem. I have crappy internet which isn't reliable at all. So I can't download such amount of things reliably in the first place, but on top of that I still have a 500gb hdd base ps4 from launch day that has served me well.

100GB already is pushing it. I made a concession for ff7r but I can't do it again.

When I get a PS5 slim I will get an SSD upgrade with it and expect that to last me for the rest of the gen.

If I were a dev, I'd be very conscious of storage requirements of my game this gen.

Unless one's working in one of those "Must Play" games such as GTA, COD, FF, Halo, etc (games with a large base of players that will do whatever it takes to play them) there is a very real possibilty that a title may lose some sales because the file size was too big and the user did not want to delete one of the games from their small SSDs to accomodate for a new large download.
How much do people check file sizes before buying? Unless it gets really big attention, I think people will buy on the look in store, then be stuck downloading even if they change their mind because there isn't a refund policy for "the games too bloody big."

How much do people check file sizes before buying? Unless it gets really big attention, I think people will buy on the look in store, then be stuck downloading even if they change their mind because there isn't a refund policy for "the games too bloody big."
Yes people like me who actually are informed enough to look for file sizes before buying because it's a concern, we are minority. Normal people will just buy a game and then get pissed off cause it's too unwieldy and they didn't know that before buying , but by then they already bought the game

I don't think the self-service refund policies require a reason for the refund, so it shouldn't be an issue for digital editions. I would think that Steam or other services in the EU would have even better policies, because they have actual consumer protection policies.

Refunds are typically issued for requests meeting the following criteria:​
  • Requests are made within 14 days of the purchase date
  • Requests are for games in which you haven’t accumulated a significant amount of play time
Note: As a limited exception, digital game products may be eligible for a refund within 30 days if you’re unsatisfied with the license agreement or warranty, but only if you do not make or retain any copies.​
Be aware that submitting a request doesn’t guarantee a refund, especially if it doesn’t meet the above criteria.​

MS's policy is much better than Sony and Nintendo's shit. :( Should be that all round. Sony's is, "once you start downloading, tough titties. We'll sell you broken games which you won't know until you've tried them."

Play time won't be an issue prohibiting the refund when the first 72 hours of ownership are downloading the thing!

I can imagine that COD games (And pretty much any other game) will function just fine from an external drive which can be bought for piss cheap these days.

Good question. But even if its, say, 10%, would a dev be ok with losing 10% of potential buyers. Thats 10% less royalty fees and bonuses for the top level team members.

How about when the game size straight out doesn't fit the free space in the users hard drive. Are they warned of that before or after the purchase in the next-gen stores?

That’s actually a little scary. Resources aren’t infinite. Nanite is awesome but it doesn’t mean developers are free to do stupid things now.

There are potentially some benefits as well. While there's an argument to be made that with artists thinking they have unlimited poly budget that more time will be spent creating 3D meshes for objects, I'd counter that a lot of time is currently spent optimizing and interating on object meshes multiple times until everything in a scene can meet the poly budget for a game.

IE - objects are usually initially high detail and high poly density. From there you optimize and iterate until poly density within a scene fits the budget. Objects could go through multiple rounds of this as while X object might meet the poly budget in Y scene, it may not meet it in Z scene requiring another round of optimization for all objects in that scene. And that has to be done for each LOD of each object.

Nanite potentially removes or greatly reduces the optimizing and iterating stages as the engine will dynamically handle that with Nanite's LOD system. This potentially means reduced development time spent on object mesh creation during development of a game.

Of course, if object mesh sizes balloon to multiple orders of magnitude larger storage sizes, someone will have to reign in the artists again, but, IMO, this can only mean positive things for both development budgets for games (time and time = money), as well as detail within the game world.

Regards,
SB

Back