Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Dictator said is hard to compare as there are no 1 to 1 settings tough 2060super has to be on very beefy cpu and has some lower settings than ps5 (dof especialy was taxing) to keep 60fps
View attachment 6755

View attachment 6756

A 2060S generally isn't considered an equivalent GPU to the PS5 so we shouldn't expect parity there. At least not in a scene with no significant RT anyway. And since both have DRS enabled, and the PS5 uses a more aggressive form, the comparison tells us pretty much nothing. For all we know the PS5 could be running at a lower resolution throughout that scene to maintain the 60fps. I'm not saying I think it is, only that it's entirely possible and hence why we can infer nothing relative from it other than the PS5's DRS is a bit mote aggressive.

A 2060S generally isn't considered an equivalent GPU to the PS5 so we shouldn't expect parity there. At least not in a scene with no significant RT anyway. And since both have DRS enabled, and the PS5 uses a more aggressive form, the comparison tells us pretty much nothing. For all we know the PS5 could be running at a lower resolution throughout that scene to maintain the 60fps. I'm not saying I think it is, only that it's entirely possible and hence why we can infer nothing relative from it other than the PS5's DRS is a bit mote aggressive.
Not disagreement here tough usualy in games with rt rtx2060s/2070 was rather above curent gen consoles, here you have to pair it with realy strong cpu and still not yet there probably. Btw maybe better would be compare with uncaped fidelity mode as there dynamic res is less agressive.

Last edited:
Not disagreement here tough usualy in games with rt rtx2060s/2070 was rather above curent gen consoles,

Are they? That's certainly the first I've heard of it if so. In RT heavy games then a 2070 could be expected to roughly match or exceed the PS5 and a 2060S may be expected to match it, but we don't have any comparison point here to see whether that is the case with this game or not.

What I'd like to see is the same scene being benchmarked on both systems with unlocked frame rates at the closest to matched settings possible, with the PC (various GPU's) running at both 4K IGTI performance and 4K IGTI quality (1080p and 1440p internal respectively). That would provide both an upper and lower bound of PC performance.

here you have to pair it with realy strong cpu and still not yet there probably. Btw maybe better would be compare with uncaped fidelity mode as there dynamic res is less agressive.

I don't understand why you think it needs to be paired with a "really strong CPU". I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong but I assume Alex used the 12900K in that comparison simply to remove any possibility of a CPU bottleneck in order to properly demonstrate the differences in the DRS implementations. It should require a far lesser CPU to achieve a locked 60fps on the CPU front (given Alex shows the 12900K achieving 90+ FPS in one of the more demanding areas of the game in his video). And given we have already been told that Nixxes are working on further significant CPU optimisations relating to BVH updates then I'm not sure what the point is of drawing any definitive conclusions at this point around CPU requirements.

Are they? That's certainly the first I've heard of it if so. In RT heavy games then a 2070 could be expected to roughly match or exceed the PS5 and a 2060S may be expected to match it, but we don't have any comparison point here to see whether that is the case with this game or not.

What I'd like to see is the same scene being benchmarked on both systems with unlocked frame rates at the closest to matched settings possible, with the PC (various GPU's) running at both 4K IGTI performance and 4K IGTI quality (1080p and 1440p internal respectively). That would provide both an upper and lower bound of PC performance.

I don't understand why you think it needs to be paired with a "really strong CPU". I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong but I assume Alex used the 12900K in that comparison simply to remove any possibility of a CPU bottleneck in order to properly demonstrate the differences in the DRS implementations. It should require a far lesser CPU to achieve a locked 60fps on the CPU front (given Alex shows the 12900K achieving 90+ FPS in one of the more demanding areas of the game in his video). And given we have already been told that Nixxes are working on further significant CPU optimisations relating to BVH updates then I'm not sure what the point is of drawing any definitive conclusions at this point around CPU requirements.
Maybe you are right and I shoulnt drawing any conclusion about cpu requiement but have to say its little bizzare for me why df showing rtx2060s with highend 12900k and not more accurate for this gpu ryzen 5 3600 when they have it available (tough I understand 3080rtx match with 12900k)

@snc you are being a bit purposefully obtuse here. For one, I show the 2060 Super running with the Ryzen 5 3600 all the time in my videos...and this video throughout the whole time basically.
Secondly, the reason why you Test a GPU with a 10900K,12900K or Ryzen 5950x, 5800X3D etc. is to show the GPUs actual potential when fully utilised and Not potentially bottlenecked. Most of the time a 3600 will Not at all bottleneck a midrange GPU Like that one, but it may, so to eliminate that from the equation you pair it with a CPU where that cannot happen given its middling performance. That has been done on purpose in PC benching for decades and is established methodology.

IMO the only reason to make a deal about this at all is because of insecurity regarding how the PS5 version looks or performs (and why be insecure about a corporate produced piece of plastic?). There is absolutely nothing out of the ordinary with how we at DF showcase GPU performance.

The only good thing about NXG's videos is that he does you a more 'typical' PC for his comparisons so it's easier to see where the average Joe's PC would run the game look.

The average ps gamer is still on 2013 hardware. He should have compared it to the PS4 version right.

IMO the only reason to make a deal about this at all is because of insecurity regarding how the PS5 version looks or performs (and why be insecure about a corporate produced piece of plastic?). There is absolutely nothing out of the ordinary with how we at DF showcase GPU performance

Nothings going to stop him or others from ’standing up’ for their platform. Its a good sign for Nixxess, the game runs just aswell on equal-to-ps5 hw (cpu improvements on the way). Very good for a port.

Ive been following pc benchmarks for many years, since the anand times before they took a nosedive. Theres nothing wrong with DF’s methods.

Maybe you are right and I shoulnt drawing any conclusion about cpu requiement but have to say its little bizzare for me why df showing rtx2060s with highend 12900k and not more accurate for this gpu ryzen 5 3600 when they have it available (tough I understand 3080rtx match with 12900k)
Nexus Gamers
Techpowerup
Guru3D
Tomshardware
Anandtech
Techspot
Vortez

All of those above and tens of others not listed use overpowered CPU's when doing low and mid-range GPU reviews so why do you expect DF not to?

Nexus Gamers
Techpowerup
Guru3D
Tomshardware
Anandtech
Techspot
Vortez

All of those above and tens of others not listed use overpowered CPU's when doing low and mid-range GPU reviews so why do you expect DF not to?
But they compare gpu vs gpu so make sense there, in df materials comparing pc and console versions when I see rtx2060super/2070 I asume the idea is to introduce entry/midtier pc capabilities so imo makes more sense to match it with midtier cpu not highend.

But they compare gpu vs gpu so make sense there, in df materials comparing pc and console versions when I see rtx2060super/2070 I asume the idea is to introduce entry/midtier pc capabilities so imo makes more sense to match it with midtier cpu not highend.
I don’t see how this is beneficial to the PC market. They are not bound by set configurations. If they have a missing CPU with a good GPU or vice versa, Alex provides the information of what happens when things move up.
The point of his videos is not to make like for like comparisons so that we can see how well PS5 stands up against comparable PCs; that’s not a useful buyers guide at least in terms of how PC players can configure their systems. A PC player may want to know what it takes to get to PS5 performance, sure that’s is useful.

But each PC player has preferences on how they like to play games; there’s no reason to restrict a review to how PS5 hardware would be equal.

In fact, that would be a very useless review! Just buy a PS5 then! The PC market is full of variety configurations because quite simply we use PCs for much more than gaming work. Many PCs could have very strong CPUs and very weak GPUs. This isn’t odd, it’s precisely a configuration a work oriented PC would have!

RTX2060 teamed to a 3600 actually is quite below mid-tier, entry model 2018 RTX gpu to a low/mid tier cpu at best. Such a setup does quite well on a port of game that has been optimized for the PS5, without direct storage involved. That on day one before the CPU optimizations patches that Nixxess is working on.
Impressive to say the least. Goes to show you dont need 'more powerfull' hw to overcome 'inefficient' optimizations on the PC. I expect not just cpu performance improvements but the GPU side aswell and whenever DS fully enables, matching or faster load times.

In fact, that would be a very useless review! Just buy a PS5 then! The PC market is full of variety configurations because quite simply we use PCs for much more than gaming work. Many PCs could have very strong CPUs and very weak GPUs. This isn’t odd, it’s precisely a configuration a work oriented PC would have!
Good point here, didn't think about this situation.

I think its pretty simple. If you want to know what the GPU is capable of, you don't pair it with a CPU that might bottleneck it. The reverse is also true.

Test both the GPU and CPU independently like that and you learn what components you need to achieve your desired settings. Trying to test both at the same time means the components interfere with each others test results and you don't know were the bottleneck is.

My guess to achieve that locked 60fps at PS5 matched settings based on what we've seen so far would be a 5600x + RTX 3060.

Quite surprising this game is so hw demanding to be honest, in the end its just ps4 game + rt which on nvidia cards is much better performing than on amd tough on other hand insomniac are software wizards so they can squeeze all from hw they targeting.

is it? I find the whole city very like the city sample from the UE5: No loading, nearly no pop in and Lod problems and a huge crowd visible way ahead. Sure the graphics sometime lacks GI but with playing something like that with Raytracing, DLAA and >60FPS on a 3090 is really impressive.

/edit: Now with the right quote.

Last edited:
is it? I find the whole city very like the city sample from the UE5: No loading, nearly no pop in and Lod problems and a huge crowd visible way ahead. Sure the graphics sometime lacks GI but with playing something like that with Raytracing, DLAA and >60FPS on a 3090 is really impressive.

I think you got the quotes a little messed up there (easy enough to do!), it wasn't Dictator that said that. ;)

I just want to point out that the gap between the 3600 and 12900k is rather exaggerated compared to in practice as judging by numbers from other tests something like the 12400 would be way closer in performance to the 12900k than the 3600, while being very price reasonable and what you would likely pair with non high end GPU today. The 12900k is in the extreme diminishing returns end for gaming performance in the current market, you are not going to be buying that (unless you don't know any better) if you are at all price sensitive just for gaming.

There also is likely going to need to be a recalibration with respect to expectations with PC CPUs and gaming this decade compared to the previous decade due to a variety of factors.

I'm not getting worked up or thinking about it all too much, until after the game settles down with a couple extra patches under its belt... especially considering the developers have already apparently mentioned the intent to optimize certain aspects further.

All I know is that it performs great on my PC already.. and the PC I hope to have by the end of the year should be phenomenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back