New Playstation Plus Subscription Tiers [2022-03-29]

For some region (Mine's), there's no refund, except for special reasons (e.g. Cyberpunk)

Other companies like Google play store, xbox/Microsoft store, steam, EA, all provide hassle free refunds. Gog also have hassle free refunds but it doesn't actually support my region (no local currency, no local payment me things)

Sony also the only company that didn't do regional pricing. The new ps plus tiers also have no regional pricing.

So it's actually cheaper to buy USN PSN gift cards due to much more often discounts, special rates by retailers, etc for US region

There definitely was a recent example where a demo timer started when you begun downloading but I can't recall the title. It doesn't seem like a big change to change the timer to start when you first load the game.

It's mind-bogglingly that multiple people at Sony thought that was remotely sensible. :runaway:
Have to admit, I didn't think what they was saying was totally legit.
As it made no sense to me. So the 2 hours was dependent on persons internet speed?
Will be interesting if they keep it like that.

If the studios don't see any of the money from the demos I can see them just giving it out for free and also on xbox.

Why did studios move away from providing demos anyway?

Multifaceted.
  1. Sales were lower when they were available.
  2. Additional work required to provide a demo that actually provides the varied gameplay aspects that the full game does.

Reports about consumers being unable to redeem codes they already purchased.

Sony has reportedly disabled PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now subscription stacking ahead of the upcoming revamp of the membership services.

A growing number of PS4 and PS5 owners have been unable to redeem pre-paid subscriptions over the last few days, and the issue appears to be widespread based on messages sent to PlayStation’s official support channels and reports on forums including ResetEra.

While PlayStation has yet to officially comment on the matter, a number of affected users claim to have been informed by Sony customer support representatives that the company has temporarily blocked subscription stacking.

There definitely was a recent example where a demo timer started when you begun downloading but I can't recall the title. It doesn't seem like a big change to change the timer to start when you first load the game.

It's mind-bogglingly that multiple people at Sony thought that was remotely sensible.
It was Death Stranding. It got a 6 hour trial that started when you clicked download. 68GB file size means you have to have about 3MB/s if I'm doing my math right to get it within 6 hours. And doesn't DS start with a 45 minute cut scene?

As BRiT said, cost/effort. Demos are a separate build, almost always much smaller than the full game because it's just a segment with a fraction of the assets. But a simpler approach, which Sony could implement with new APIs, is to allow demos of full games with a timer that cuts you off after X hours unless you buy it. Sony providing a simple new API may be why only future games will be subject to this.

I'm sure there will be games where this doesn't make sense, but. Sony wouldn't have done this without having already spoken to all of the big publishers and got their agreement.

It's mind-bogglingly that multiple people at Sony thought that was remotely sensible. :runaway:

this is sony, you need to think like sony.
let me try.... sony. sony. sony. I AM SONY.

SONY: Yes, that was the most sensible solution. Otherwise, people can circumvent the demo limitation by downloading with account A, and playing with accounts B, C, D, at Infinitum.

lowly staff: Its probably just the minority that will do that. especially with how they will need to start from the begining for each new accounts, and we can boast new accounts numbers.

(meme of a lowly staff gets thrown out of building)

Are the demos just for games that are in ps+.
So you potentially have smaller downloads to try a game out?
Then it's not really about the sale of the game.

If it's for all games even outside of what's available on ps+, then there's nothing stopping a studio making it available outside of ps+.
Only reason not to is if providing it results in lower sales. Which then ps+ could cause (for that small set of subscribers)

Benefit for gamers, not sure if it would give you any more insight compared to watching trailer, review, lets play for most games.
Guess doesn't hurt though.

from what i undestand, it wont have a smaller download because its just a time limit.

but you probably can just download the 1st part instead of the whole game.

As BRiT said, cost/effort. Demos are a separate build, almost always much smaller than the full game because it's just a segment with a fraction of the assets. But a simpler approach, which Sony could implement with new APIs, is to allow demos of full games with a timer that cuts you off after X hours unless you buy it. Sony providing a simple new API may be why only future games will be subject to this.

I'm sure there will be games where this doesn't make sense, but. Sony wouldn't have done this without having already spoken to all of the big publishers and got their agreement.
Yep. The smart move is to have a 2 hour time limit at the system level with devs being provided the option of bespoke demos. I don't even see it needing any form of API. The console tracks your gameplay. It can just interrupt any game at 2 hours and jump to the store to invite you to continue your adventure.

It is still an extra cost/effort/time thing, right? Or is the idea to get two hours of free-gameplay before deciding to buy it? ( i think Origin had/has something similar?) If the latter it wont matter all that much i assume, rather good for the consumer to be able to trail the game. If its the former its an additional work-load on the developers, without all that much of a gain for the end-user?

Edit: seems its two hours of play and then you need to buy it, good if its like that.

As I understand it, If you’re on PC and want to play via streaming you will have to subscribe to PlayStation Plus Premium tier. That’s a price increase of $8 a month. RIP PS Now.

As I understand it, If you’re on PC and want to play via streaming you will have to subscribe to PlayStation Plus Premium tier. That’s a price increase of $8 a month. RIP PS Now.
There was a comment in one of the quarterly reports that indicated the number of non-PlayStation owning PSNow subscribers was negligible. Possibly the driver for this change. Something Sony have demonstrated time and time again is making decisions that increase PlayStation's profitability.

Back