New Playstation Plus Subscription Tiers [2022-03-29]

I don't know if anyone used it that way, but could gamers have only had just a 1 month PS Now subscription without PS+ before? If so, then that use case is now effectively price increased too. That $10 a month PS Now user is now having to pay $18 for just 1 month for streaming game access, or $15 for download game access.

Granted, the pricing on yearly subscription is a solid savings and no different than just 12 months PS Now before, but this really makes picking PlayStation Plus Premium for just a month here or there really not optimal. I get it, it's better for the cocompany’s profits for the higher month to month or to have them locked in for the full year.

So, there is now Extra, Premium, Deluxe while PS+ still exists?

It's because their naming/branding/marketing sucks that others are unable to keep straight the 3 tiers.

As far as I'm aware, there will only be 3 Tiers.
  1. PlayStation Plus Essential
  2. PlayStation Plus Extra
  3. PlayStation Plus Premium

It looks like there is an Ubisoft+ Classics being added into the mix.

The Ubisoft+ Classics catalogue for PlayStation Plus will launch with 27 titles and will grow to 50 by the end of 2022 – check out the full list of Day 1 games below:
  • Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
  • For Honor
  • The Crew 2
  • Child of Light
  • Eagle Flight
  • Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
  • Far Cry 3 Remaster
  • Far Cry 4
  • Legendary Fishing
  • Risk: Urban Assault
  • South Park: The Fractured but Whole
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth
  • Space Junkies
  • Star Trek: Bridge Crew
  • Starlink: Battle for Atlas
  • STEEP
  • The Crew
  • The Division
  • Trackmania Turbo
  • Transference
  • Trials Fusion
  • Trials of the Blood Dragon Game
  • Trials Rising
  • Valiant Hearts: The Great War
  • Watch Dogs
  • Werewolves Within
  • ZOMBI

Reactions: snc
So the best part of the blog post is the following, where users won't be forced to subscribe to the service to play the games they already own digitally from the legacy times:

Also, players who have previously purchased the digital version of games from the original PlayStation and PSP generation will not have to make a separate purchase or sign up to PlayStation Plus to play these titles on PS4 or PS5. When these titles are released for PS4 and PS5, players can head to PlayStation Store and download a version for the consoles at no extra cost if they already own the digital version of the title. Some of the titles will also be available for individual purchase

Monthly Games

PlayStation Plus Essential, Extra and Premium**/Deluxe Plans

In any PlayStation Plus plan you choose, you’ll get the same benefits that are currently available today for PlayStation Plus members. We have yet to announce the monthly games for June, but stay tuned to PS Blog.

Read More: https://blog.playstation.com/2022/0...ctors-cut-nba-2k22-and-more-join-the-service/

Not a massive library but a lot of quality games imo.

Third Party-Partners games is eye catching too.

Not a massive library but a lot of quality games imo.
Some very good games. It will be interesting to see what Sony does over time. I assume their goal is to have an offering for people who want this kind of thing whilst not tanking their profits.

The comms were god awful though. Why not bronze, silver, and gold?

The comms were god awful though. Why not bronze, silver, and gold?

I'm surprised how they rebranded 2 existing services into 3 different services. I guess that's something that Sony has mastered.

I'm surprised how they rebranded 2 existing services into 3 different services. I guess that's something that Sony has mastered.
I believe it's one service with three tiers. Tiers are not new, i.e. Xbox Live and Xbox Live Gold. Game Pass and Game Pass Ultimate. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But I think it's useful if the naming conventional adequately conveys the range. I.e. look at Apple's M1. There is an M1, M1 Pro and M1 Max. I'd argue whether Max and Pro should be swapped because I think for many, that "Pro" would be viewed as the top tier.

I think most would agree that IT companies are are shite at branding. Sony's saving grace is they went with PlayStation then PS2 to PS5. They have yet to achieve the utter bonkerness that is the Xbox console naming convention: Xbox. Xbox 360. Xbox One. Xbox One S and One X, Xbox Series S and Series X. Two things isn't a "series". :nope:

redder-ps-plus.jpg

I wonder why PS5 is the only one unavailable via streaming. deliberate move to sell PS5? as otherwise people can just stream PS5 from PS4?

I wonder why PS5 is the only one unavailable via streaming. deliberate move to sell PS5? as otherwise people can just stream PS5 from PS4?

Almost certainly the same reason why it's incredibly difficult to get a PS5; the lack of chips. For PS5 games to be available for streaming there needs to be a lot of PS5 server hardware relatively close to where anybody may want to play that streamed game. Lag is bad enough with a half-a-dozen plus hops between the user and the server.

Almost certainly the same reason why it's incredibly difficult to get a PS5; the lack of chips. For PS5 games to be available for streaming there needs to be a lot of PS5 server hardware relatively close to where anybody may want to play that streamed game. Lag is bad enough with a half-a-dozen plus hops between the user and the server.

i wonder if Microsoft pays a premium for XS chips. or xcloud didn't stream XS games? or sony simply put more priority to console production instead of server farm

i wonder if Microsoft pays a premium for XS chips. or xcloud didn't stream XS games? or sony simply put more priority to console production instead of server farm

Microsoft spent a lot of last year building up Xbox Series X blades in their datacenter.

Sony does not have any PS5 Server blades in their datacenter.

Wasn't sony actually using MS's servers for that?

As far as I've seen, they only had an agreement to discuss possibilities. I have not seen anything announced after that. Sony still uses their older PS3 and PS4 server blades.

As far as I've seen, they only had an agreement to discuss possibilities. I have not seen anything announced after that. Sony still uses their older PS3 and PS4 server blades.
I don't know if Sony ever ha server blades for PS3, there are many pictures of custom PS3s in custom racks. This seems mental but it was was probably cheaper and quicker to adapt mass produced consoles than make what is going to be a relatively small number of bespoke server blades.

The proposition for Microsoft is a bit different because I imagine that whilst not ideal, they can use re-purpose unused Series X server hardware for other non-gaming customer needs by Azure customers. I would expect them to be able to do this fairly quickly and flexibly. Modern server management is like that.

Back