Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit surprised by the title/tech-demo (it more or less came out of nowhere). Looks like they really didn't care much about current gen consoles with those framerates. Looks a bit like the Cyberpunk thing from last year on last gen consoles. I really hoped that we would not see <20fps in current gen games ... at least not so fast. But the traffic density is quite high.

Last edited:
I'm a bit surprised by the title (it more or less came out of nowhere). Looks like they really didn't care much about current gen consoles with those framerates. Looks a bit like the Cyberpunk thing from last year on last gen consoles. I really hoped that we would not see <20fps in current gen games ... at least not so fast. But the traffic density is quite high.
You probably already know this, but it isn't a game, it's a tech demo.
May sound petty, but worthwhile distinction to make.

XSS scales badly in this demo. According to the posted youtuber on average both big machines are outputting about 2.9x 2.6x more resolution (1404p vs 864p) with much higher UE5 settings (GI, nanite, draw distance). It's really getting worse for the little next-gen machine.

It shows again that the PS5 DE (compared to XSS) is really a bargain. It's basically 3 times more powerfull with twice more SSD storage for only $100 more.

EDIT: corrected.

Last edited:
XSS scales badly in this game. According to the posted youtuber on average both big machines are outputting about 2.9x more resolution (1404p vs 864p) with much higher UE5 settings (GI, nanite, draw distance). It's really getting worse for the little next-gen machine.

It shows again that the PS5 DE (compared to XSS) is really a bargain. It's basically 3 times more powerfull with twice more SSD storage for only $100 more.
2.64x more pixels on ps5/xsx, xsx 12tf vs xss 4tf, I would say scalling not so bad ;d

If you could actually get the PS5 DE anywhere, then maybe. In my country the lowest scalper price for the PS5 DE is 3 times the XSS. Also, as an entry level console, I think the $100 difference does matter to most in the target group

XSS scales badly in this game. According to the posted youtuber on average both big machines are outputting about 2.9x more resolution (1404p vs 864p) with much higher UE5 settings (GI, nanite, draw distance). It's really getting worse for the little next-gen machine.

And there I was being impressed by the XSS and thought it bode well for UE5 titles.

Maybe down to expectations?
That will also be born out in the market and perception in the long run I guess.

2.64x more pixels on ps5/xsx, xsx 12tf vs xss 4tf, I would say scalling not so bad ;d
Indeed that's 2.64x but it doesn't change my point because of much lower UE5 settings used on that platform. Also I was comparing to PS5 10TF.

Indeed that's 2.64x but it doesn't change my point because of much lower UE5 settings used on that platform. Also I was comparing to PS5 10TF.
I really don't know what's your point. A console with 1/3 of the power ist outputs more than 1/3 of the pixels and yes some other settings had to be lowered. All in all not bad for just lowering some details while the general game is still untouched and still looks good enough. The memory interface could be a bit wider, as it has still the same CPU and fights with the GPU for resources but for the performance profile of a 1080p console (to be honest ... it is not a 1440p console just like the PS5 or xbsx aren't really 4k consoles) this is good enough.

Last edited:
XSS scales badly in this demo. According to the posted youtuber on average both big machines are outputting about 2.9x 2.6x more resolution (1404p vs 864p) with much higher UE5 settings (GI, nanite, draw distance). It's really getting worse for the little next-gen machine.
I knew Series S wasn't for me but I have been surprised at how many games in the first year are landing with sub-1080p resolutions (on average). What kind of compromises are going to be required in 4-5 years time?

The CPU is very capable but I think what the GPU can deliver is just too low.

I knew Series S wasn't for me but I have been surprised at how many games in the first year are landing with sub-1080p resolutions (on average). What kind of compromises are going to be required in 4-5 years time?

if we take this tech demo as being an aspirational target, I think the XSS is just fine then; it's most certainly on the low end of things, but it's going to be able to handle next gen titles.

if we take this tech demo as being an aspirational target, I think the XSS is just fine then; it's most certainly on the low end of things, but it's going to be able to handle next gen titles.
What tech demo? I'm talking about what resolutions released games are delivering.

What tech demo? I'm talking about what resolutions released games are delivering.
Matrix tech demo.
Currently released games may not have evolved far enough along their tech to be able to better maximize the newer GPUs, available bandwidth, streaming technologies, GPU features etc. So I wouldn't say it's dire, but there is potential it can hang on for the later releases if the Matrix demo is sufficient for those looking to purchases Series S.

But you're right in saying that the current release states for it's resolution seem pretty poor. Hopefully things turn around sooner than later.

Reactions: Jay
But you're right in saying that the current release states for it's resolution seem pretty poor. Hopefully things turn around sooner than later.
Have to say I don't agree with this.
Although it has been a bit all over the place from 1440p to 720p, but I would say XSX and PS5 has been all over the place also, far from majority being 2160p.

From what I've seen antidotaly people who own XSS has been happy regardless of resolution.
So if it maintains that level of positivity from the owners throughout the generation it's doing fine, even sub native 1080p

If you are talking about the Matrix demo then its about as sub 1080p as the PS5/XSX is sub 4k.

thats a good news at least for me ;d when I saw that microsoft want to target 1440p with 4tf console I though f, we are screwed, 0 progress, but devs have no problems with targetting much lower resolution on it so no problem imo (only more works for devs and as df said memory amount is problematic)

Last edited:
Matrix tech demo.
If you are talking about the Matrix demo then its about as sub 1080p as the PS5/XSX is sub 4k.

Not tech demos, games. I keep seeing DF report games on Series S delivering way under 1080p when the expectation was 1440p. In many games, we're closer to half the 1440p target than 1440p itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back