Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
- The PS5 version has been released 5 months later.
- These differences are probably due to the Xbox Series versions being out of date. I do not rule out that a patch will arrive soon.

About Call of the Sea, initially I was thinking the same as @iroboto but then the person who made that video had this to say on Twitter, so maybe there will be a patch for Xbox afterall.

Original text:
Buenas noticias! He podido hablar con el equipo de desarrollo de Call of the Sea y me han confirmado que están trabajando en un parche para las versiones de Xbox Series e igualar su calidad con la de PS5. Cuando salga este parche, tendréis otra comparativa

Machine Translation text:
Good news! I've been able to talk to the Call of the Sea development team and they've confirmed to me that they're working on a patch for Xbox Series versions and matching their quality to PS5. When this patch comes out, you'll have another comparison

About Call of the Sea, initially I was thinking the same as @iroboto but then the person who made that video had this to say on Twitter, so maybe there will be a patch for Xbox afterall.

Original text:

Machine Translation text:

interesting, unexpected. I suppose a patch might get more people to play it, but I have my doubts they are going to get a massive resurgence of players.

interesting, unexpected. I suppose a patch might get more people to play it, but I have my doubts they are going to get a massive resurgence of players.

Considering that it's on Game Pass, there's the possibility that MS are incentivizing (paying) them to release a patch for XBS systems. Or, they're just good developers that care about the people that have bought their game and want all their players to have the best experience possible.

Regards,
SB

Considering that it's on Game Pass, there's the possibility that MS are incentivizing (paying) them to release a patch for XBS systems. Or, they're just good developers that care about the people that have bought their game and want all their players to have the best experience possible.

Regards,
SB
Doubt MS are paying them anything for it.
MS didn't seem to even push their own studios much less pay external.

Probably just a simple case of engine improvements from the PS5, and improvements on the xbox side since game release.

vgtech run tests and xsx also has drops tough not to 30 but to 40s https://bit.ly/3tIFnu7
yes a dip in a cutscene where all dip. Seems like they have tested ME1 more into the game, while DF have tested the beginning of ME 1, 2 & 3. I really don't see a reason in this particular scene why it should dip. But I also didn't see why this is a case in the beginning of ME3. I would still guess that this is a software related dip and has nothing to do with the hardware.

It would be interesting to see how far the last-gen consoles drop in those scenes if they drop at all.

for ps5 yes, for xsx minimal 40fps and df didn't found any drop below 60
yea I'm not sure about that one. It happens at ~6:50 on a black screen. I'm not really sure if anyone should bother counting that, it's a black screen during a cutscene. I would be hesistant there to put too much emphasis on that result, the tool could be providing poor feedback if it's looking for pixel differences here.

That dip isn't really worth discussing because it's clearly not a rendering issue. I don't think anyone should care about this part for all consoles/setups.

vgtech run tests and xsx also has drops tough not to 30 but to 40s https://bit.ly/3tIFnu7
it's dipping during a cutscene while the scene is cutting away to black and to something else.
I dunno, I'm not comfortable calling out DF on this one as though they missed some major performance hiccup here. And even then Warren said his time was limited here to test 3 games, that's also at the end of the game, so it's clear VG Tech has a crew of people playing through this game looking for dips or issues.

I think DF called it pretty well, locked 60 for the most part across the board aside from some weird dips in specific cases on PS5, outside of that really a non issue; ie: no need to wait for a patch to play the game unlike Cyberpunk

it's dipping during a cutscene while the scene is cutting away to black and to something else.
I dunno, I'm not comfortable calling out DF on this one as though they missed some major performance hiccup here. And even then Warren said his time was limited here to test 3 games, that's also at the end of the game, so it's clear VG Tech has a crew of people playing through this game looking for dips or issues.

I think DF called it pretty well, locked 60 for the most part across the board aside from some weird dips in specific cases on PS5, outside of that really a non issue; ie: no need to wait for a patch to play the game unlike Cyberpunk
I can be wrong but think vg tech is one person ;d this black screen is explosion so can't say its nothing to do with rendering also there are other places with some drops on xsx, its not attacking df but simply vg tech made better job this time

I can be wrong but think vg tech is one person ;d this black screen is explosion so can't say its nothing to do with rendering also there are other places with some drops on xsx, its not attacking df but simply vg tech made better job this time
VG Tech site:
We provide an in-depth look at video game performance.

I very much doubt a single person will buy 3-4 copies of every single game released and be able to do it for every single game that comes out before DF and play them all entirely through. The cost and time implications are enormous here.

VG Tech site:
We provide an in-depth look at video game performance.

I very much doubt a single person will buy 3-4 copies of every single game released and be able to do it for every single game that comes out before DF and play them all entirely through. The cost and time implications are enormous here.
maybe you are right but channel is relativly small (tough should be bigger as make very good job)

maybe you are right but channel is relativly small (tough should be bigger as make very good job)
I've played through Mass Effect Series 3x times. I recall everything. I'm surprised they managed to get to the end game so quickly and measured all 3 titles.

ANyway on what you see there, it's literally not rendering anything. It's probably a poor time for the high level API to setup a new scene or something and it just has a bigger problem with moving larger buffers around to do it. Rendering workload problems don't dip all the way down and come back all the way smooth. Workload problems hover around the same area when the limit is hit. I'm fairly positive what you're looking at is a memory management problem.

possible but still a drop not bad test methodology/tools etc
yea. It's likely not a tool issue, but this one is a bit more iffy than just seeing a gameplay loop. You could easily be recording the static of the compressed file. I would say I'd be more hesitant around a black screen than I would a non black screen. I should be clear, these frame rate counters are not super duper accurate, this isn't anywhere close to having a real benchmarking tool that runs with the game in real time in terms of accuracy.

VG Tech does good work, but measuring the frame rate of a black screen is, imo, as per my profession: I would have tossed this result from my findings.

Looks to be an 18 GB patch for ME:L, no idea on performance impacts -- https://www.ea.com/games/mass-effect/mass-effect-legendary-edition/amp/news/update-5-17

General
  • Fixed the main issue where the launcher would crash or become unresponsive on Xbox Series X when using a wireless headset
    • Known issue: This can still happen if you enable/disable a headset in the launcher. A future fix will resolve this issue.
  • Improved iris shaders for better interaction with light and ambient occlusion
  • Minor calibrations, fixes, and stability improvements
Mass Effect
  • Improved terrain textures
  • Fixed an issue where kills for achievements/trophies weren’t tracking correctly
Mass Effect & Mass Effect 2
  • Resolved an issue where the character code would sometimes not display in the squad menu
  • Improvements to pre-rendered cutscenes to reduce occasional artifacts
Mass Effect 2
  • Improved lighting and shadows in some cinematics
  • Minor visual, rendering, and VFX improvements on some levels
  • Resolved minor text issues with achievements
Mass Effect 3
  • Fixed an issue where kills for achievements/trophies weren’t tracking correctly

Fixed the main issue where the launcher would crash or become unresponsive on Xbox Series X when using a wireless headset.
- Known issue: This can still happen if you enable/disable a headset in the launcher. A future fix will resolve this issue.

How does this even happen? And why only Series X, not Series S? Weird.

This patch (13Gb on EU PlayStation) landed just as a I finished Mass Effect 1 so good timing there Bioware. :yes:

I'm sure DF are cursing the timing of this. :runaway:

yes a dip in a cutscene where all dip. Seems like they have tested ME1 more into the game, while DF have tested the beginning of ME 1, 2 & 3. I really don't see a reason in this particular scene why it should dip. But I also didn't see why this is a case in the beginning of ME3. I would still guess that this is a software related dip and has nothing to do with the hardware.

It would be interesting to see how far the last-gen consoles drop in those scenes if they drop at all.
From what I could tell all those drops could be caused by I/O streaming hiccup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back