Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
ratchet012zkjxx.png

ratchet011pfkmz.png

A french journalist asked about the transition between world and they are faster than last trailer and they will try to improve the speed until the game is gold.

In the PS Access vid they mentioned that the devs said with the return of the Pixelizer, each pixel block is individually ray traced and can go into photomode and see each one reflecting... Gonna be fun. Game looking great.

Last edited:
So nothing behind you will ever show up in the RT Reflections?
You think they didn't think of that?

nah, we see when a ray hits and then we load it. (I'm sure I'm dumbing down how complex this is!)

They are probably keeping just what is needed for RT reflections. Not a problem because RT reflections are different than the 'normal' object (usually it's lower LOD meshes with lower res textures).

They just need to keep the BVH. They don't need to unload everything.

Quite informative interview

A lot of those problems just go out the door [on the PS5], which is a big deal. It’s not just the drive itself, but it’s the hardware decompression engine around it, it’s the memory transfers that we leveraged piece by piece, more and more as we went through the project, and realized “Oh, we can make these transitions even faster, we can do them in the middle of a fight.” It was really an evolving process with the console. And it definitely came down to roadblocks in our engine that we needed to pick apart. Some of those basic assumptions of how long it takes data to get off a drive we got to rethink.

Pretty crazy how the ssd frees up main ram
We unload the things literally behind you from a camera perspective. If you spun the camera around, we could load them before you see that. That lets us devote all of our system memory to the stuff in front of you right now, that you need to experience in that moment.

https://www.theverge.com/22431256/ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart-ps5-interiew-tech-ray-tracing-ssd

Hopefully. I accepted the trade-off as worthwhile in Control, especially since the aesthetic is a big part of that game, but I'd have happily settled for a lower resolution RT mode if the framerate had remained at 60.

It is almost a pity that the game has a photo mode but thankfully videos help a bit there, and the quality of 4k videos is increasing.

Those graphics are insane! I do think part of what's allowed them to achieve such an incredible look though is the restricted freedom of the level design. That giant robot scene at the end looks mind boggling but it's quite literally on rails. I don't think that takes away from what they've done here at all, it both looks amazing and really fun, rails or not. But from a technical perspective I think it's interesting to understand how they've achieved such a leap over everything else. Artistic style/talent is also a massive factor.

IG6yrP.png

The density of the scenery is incredible.

The best thing that's happening this generation so far, is the vast amount of complex geometry and texturing that's going on. I love RT in all, but it's the complexity of PBR materials, geometry, and depth that's being used in creating gorgeous environments in games like R&C Rift Apart, Demon's Souls, Cyberpunk 2077, and RE: Village that I'm liking the most.

Those graphics are insane! I do think part of what's allowed them to achieve such an incredible look though is the restricted freedom of the level design. That giant robot scene at the end looks mind boggling but it's quite literally on rails. I don't think that takes away from what they've done here at all, it both looks amazing and really fun, rails or not. But from a technical perspective I think it's interesting to understand how they've achieved such a leap over everything else. Artistic style/talent is also a massive factor.

they said in the last gameplay video they have big open levels too, we should stop thinking open means less now with the new tech i think, since they can load almost just what's in the player's view, open worlds are going to get a hell lot more detailed than before.

they said in the last gameplay video they have big open levels too, we should stop thinking open means less now with the new tech i think, since they can load almost just what's in the player's view, open worlds are going to get a hell lot more detailed than before.

Everything you load still has to be rendered/go through the gpu. Probably theres a good reason they kept scenes limited to a on-rail experience.

And people will probably see more with Horizon Forbidden West as an open world. the GPU procedural placement tech of Decima Engine can used for setup density of vegetation. I suppose density of vegetation and complexity of the scenery will be much higer on PS5 version than PS4 version.

they showed big open sections at the end of the last state of play video

15min15

i mean, they can litteraly throw us in another level in 1,5s and maybe less for the final game, how can't we expect big open world with less details ?

Back