Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Everything you load still has to be rendered/go through the gpu. Probably theres a good reason they kept scenes limited to a on-rail experience.
a scene complexity is determined by GPU power you have but also how much ram you can have to render what's in the view, if you can ditch from ram what's outside player's view now you free up a lot of data, so you can crank up details in the FOV.

a scene complexity is determined by GPU power you have but also how much ram you can have to render what's in the view, if you can ditch from ram what's outside player's view now you free up a lot of data, so you can crank up details in the FOV.

Open world limitation is streaming now that they can stream details visible into the Field of view, linear and open world game can have the same level of details.

And people will probably see more with Horizon Forbidden West as an open world. the GPU procedural placement tech of Decima Engine can used for setup density of vegetation. I suppose density of vegetation and complexity of the scenery will be much higer on PS5 version than PS4 version.
Horizon PS5 will most likely be a 30fps game. As we have saw with the lack of 60fps patch on PS5 with Horizon, Guerrilla are not interested into 60fps gaming. Those 30fps games are very different than the 60fps open world games Insomniac are doing. Insomniac are the new studio to beat on PS5. Open world game + ultra high density of assets + RT + 60fps.

Yes its a gamechanger
The SSD's is gonna get a good workout treating it as just extra memory, wonder if this is gonna lead to failures

The meme I posted before is apt (viewable with firefox)
SSD.jpg

Horizon PS5 will most likely be a 30fps game. As we have saw with the lack of 60fps patch on PS5 with Horizon, Guerrilla are not interested into 60fps gaming. Those 30fps games are very different than the 60fps open world games Insomniac are doing. Insomniac are the new studio to beat on PS5. Open world game + ultra high density of assets + RT + 60fps.

I feel spoilt with 60/120hz gaming on PS5, going back to 30hz games just feels awful by comparison. I didn't get the original Horizon when it came out, so I tried it when it was free and I struggle with it because of the framerate.

I don't think it has anything to do with the fact they don't like 60 fps game. I suppose they have another things to do than create a patch for HZD on PS5 or maybe the patch will be launch at the same time than the release of Horizon 2 or a bit later. They said they will not continue to patch the PC version of HZD because they need to finish Horizon Forbidden West.

And because of COVID 19, the development was impacted from the Wired article.

According to Hermen Hulst, a Guerrilla cofounder whom Jim Ryan tapped to lead PlayStation Studios in 2019, the group has more than 25 titles in development for the PS5—nearly half of which are entirely new IP. “There’s an incredible amount of variety originating from different regions,” Hulst says. “Big, small, different genres.” And in many of those cases, Sony’s shared services became a lifeline for studios navigating lockdown. Having moved all its employees home in early 2020, Guerilla Games found itself staring down the barrel of a game that hadn’t even finished its voice and performance capture, let alone play-testing. For the audio, Guerrilla shipped recording booths to the voice actors’ homes. Performance capture was tougher, since it couldn’t use its usual facilities in California, but last summer the studio moved into a new Amsterdam space they’d designed to have a motion-capture stage; that, plus some very careful hygiene, allowed them to get what they needed. And the play-testing? Well, it’s a good thing Sony had invested in cloud gaming for its streaming service PlayStation Now. “Seeing that first play test using PlayStation was a huge relief,” says Smets. “Knowing that, ‘OK, great, we can continue.’”

just to add, the setpiece vs the giant robot is on rail, but you litterally rail around the whole level you've been exploring through earlier, you can see plateforms and breakable boxes all around, so it's part of the explorable world.

Horizon PS5 will most likely be a 30fps game.
This seems unimaginable. The game is coming to PS4 and anything the PS4 or PS4 Pro can do the PS5 can do twice as fast.

Perhaps they will include a 30fps 'quality' mode (resolution, RT etc) but I have no doubts that it will come with a 60fps mode at well.

This seems unimaginable. The game is coming to PS4 and anything the PS4 or PS4 Pro can do the PS5 can do twice as fast.

Perhaps they will include a 30fps 'quality' mode (resolution, RT etc) but I have no doubts that it will come with a 60fps mode at well.
Yup, this is a no brainer considering it's coming to PS4. If it wasn't then maybe there could have been a question - even then most PS5 games have been 60fps thank god, I don't see how Guerrilla wouldn't at least give the option. I also don't agree that one can assume that a studio "is not interested in 60fps", what a weird assertion to make, and with no basis.

Maybe. But Insomniac already stated their game would have a 60fps mode long ago. A 60fps mode needs to be thought in advance. We know from the PC port that Horizon was made to run at 30fps with some elements of the engine hard-coded at 30fps. We'll see.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/05/12/...d-ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart-ps5-interview/
Q: Evidently, there’s a lot of cool tech elements to Rift Apart thanks to the PS5. Of all of them, what was perhaps the most difficult to achieve that you’re ultimately most proud of having gotten in the game?

"Fitzgerald: Oh, man. In the last trailer, we showed a little clip of the character [Rivet] standing in front of that crystal thing and hitting it, and it’s swapping. And it’s the two dimension versions of one world. And I think you’ve seen a lot of games before that have some mechanic of switching environments like that, and they’ll do it by keeping them both loaded, and just showing you when you’re in. And that is really like no tricks at all — hit the thing, un-load the one you’re in, load the new one, and you’re there. And we’ve even pushed it a bit further than you saw in those videos since as we’re approaching launch and cramming as much as we can into the final versions of the game.

And it is really, really startling when you do it that all of a sudden you’re somewhere else. And it’s one thing to watch another video, and it’s really something else to actually play it. I’m excited for people to get to try that out."

Maybe. But Insomniac already stated their game would have a 60fps mode long ago. A 60fps mode needs to be thought in advance. We know from the PC port that Horizon was made to run at 30fps with some elements of the engine hard-coded at 30fps. We'll see.
Bit off topic now, but Death Stranding runs on the same engine and according to Kojima was made to run at 60fps (which it does on PC). Decima is good with 60 :)

Last edited:
https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/05/12/...d-ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart-ps5-interview/
Q: Evidently, there’s a lot of cool tech elements to Rift Apart thanks to the PS5. Of all of them, what was perhaps the most difficult to achieve that you’re ultimately most proud of having gotten in the game?

"Fitzgerald: Oh, man. In the last trailer, we showed a little clip of the character [Rivet] standing in front of that crystal thing and hitting it, and it’s swapping. And it’s the two dimension versions of one world. And I think you’ve seen a lot of games before that have some mechanic of switching environments like that, and they’ll do it by keeping them both loaded, and just showing you when you’re in. And that is really like no tricks at all — hit the thing, un-load the one you’re in, load the new one, and you’re there. And we’ve even pushed it a bit further than you saw in those videos since as we’re approaching launch and cramming as much as we can into the final versions of the game.

And it is really, really startling when you do it that all of a sudden you’re somewhere else. And it’s one thing to watch another video, and it’s really something else to actually play it. I’m excited for people to get to try that out."

Bloody hell, that clears up that question we all had. So they are unloading and reloading the data. Incredibly impressive.

I think we all have to change the ways we think of loading with the new generation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any engine can be tweaked to its hardware. Like adding specific 30fps hard-coded stuff in it:

At launch, the grass animation added to the PC version only ran at 30fps when the rest of the game was unlocked - this has now been corrected. Other related 30fps problems - such as Aloy's hair animation - are also fixed. Another frame-rate related issue was general awkwardness in cutscenes at 60fps, as the game was seemingly designed around a fixed 30fps update.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-horizon-zero-dawn-is-it-finally-fixed

I doubt any sane developer anymore hardcodes engine to only run at specific fps. Everyone knows there is advantage to being flexible be it in form of performance mode vs. quality mode, pro console version of the game or bc enhancements for next gen. Smart devs are forward looking.

Any engine can be tweaked to its hardware. Like adding specific 30fps hard-coded stuff in it:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-horizon-zero-dawn-is-it-finally-fixed

If they corrected it on PC, they can do the same thing on PS5. They have help of another studio for the port but on Engine side GG were working on the port.

https://twitter.com/_plop_

This guy told in a deleted tweet they worked on the PC version.

Bloody hell, that clears up that question we all had. So they are unloading and reloading the data. Incredibly impressive.

I think we all have to change the ways we think of loading with the new generation.

The community manager told now it goes faster but this is it.

Back