Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Its very surprising how MS couldn't muster 1-2 launch window title games which they can show of HW with. Reviews are good for HW itself, but games are nowhere.

Well they didn't want to artificially hold back games from releasing earlier this year, though I don't think any of them would be showcase next-gen levels. Their two biggest first-party showcase titles will be Gears Tactics and Gears 5, and Tactics was already released on PC. It's a shame they couldn't get MS FlightSim 2020 ready for console launch. That would have been a real looker for them.

Well they didn't want to artificially hold back games from releasing earlier this year, though I don't think any of them would be showcase next-gen levels. Their two biggest first-party showcase titles will be Gears Tactics and Gears 5, and Tactics was already released on PC. It's a shame they couldn't get MS FlightSim 2020 ready for console launch. That would have been a real looker for them.

It doesn't help that with Gears's they've really maxed out the YouTube video and screenshot fidelity already. It's visual design just doesn't benefit that much from the extra stuff they've layered in. It's all rather subtle. Which is an odd word to apply to a gears game...

DF's review in article form @ https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-xbox-series-x-console-review

Xbox Series X review: next generation games machine, continuity console - or both?
Power play.

It's a strange feeling to be reviewing Xbox Series X after a preview period which essentially blew the doors open on so much of the experience. We know that Series X offers a generational leap over Xbox One and One X in so many respects: the CPU upgrade is so pronounced we couldn't measure it in backwards compatibility gaming tests, the graphics boost is a creditable 2x over One X (without even factoring in architectural advances) with more than an 8x multiplier over the One S. Combined with the fast SSD, Xbox Series X excels in delivering a lag-free console experience to the extent that returning to the current-gen machines feels undesirable, to say the least. We're not quite back to the plug-and-play ethos that defined the early games consoles, but this is a healthy step in the right direction.

I like Geoff Grubb's review, which essentially boiled down to "stop playing on One and play on Series X. It feels like such a better console experience." I'd assume that the same will hold true for PS5 too.

Plays straight into my confirmation bias, as at this point, the main reason I want a new console is the ease of use .vs the slow and loadtastic current gen.

I like Geoff Grubb's review, which essentially boiled down to "stop playing on One and play on Series X. It feels like such a better console experience." I'd assume that the same will hold true for PS5 too.

Plays straight into my confirmation bias, as at this point, the main reason I want a new console is the ease of use .vs the slow and loadtastic current gen.
nothing wrong with the game library. People love the games on this generation. But it's not fun to have new hardware and not new games to test it out.

Many people are going to go back to Destiny 2 Beyond light when it launches on gamepass with Series S/X. 60fps destiny is way better than 30

You can already pre-download EA Play titles since yesterday or day before. They won't unlock until the 10th.

Tommy McClain

Its very surprising how MS couldn't muster 1-2 launch window title games which they can show of HW with. Reviews are good for HW itself, but games are nowhere.

On one hand, it really is. But on the other hand, considering where the Xbox division was even in late 2017...not really? I think they even cancelled Phantom Dust remake (and of course Scalebound) sometime in late 2017 or somewhere in 2018.

I think it's underestimated to what extent Phil had to convince Satya to reinvest majorly back into the Xbox division; if they were in planning stages for the Series X and Series S, it probably started in late 2016. Then they went on studio acquisitions starting in 2018 but it shouldn't be surprising those studios wouldn't of had time for new games on Series systems at launch.

In retrospect I think MS would've been better off just having studios like Ninja Theory withhold games like Bleeding Edge for the Series platforms, even as cross-gen. Would've been a new release in that case, had time to polish up for Series S and Series X, and ride the next-gen launch hype wave. I can understand why they didn't do this, though: since they already cancelled a few planned XBO titles, they needed to try rebuilding goodwill among the base sooner rather than later so better in that sense to release games like Bleeding Edge when they did. At the same time, Bleeding Edge could've really benefited from a bit more time in the oven and even moreso from being held back as a launch day game for Series platforms and cross-gen with XBO/One X, especially if it was on Gamepass day-and-date (similar to what Sony are doing now with Destruction All-Stars, a game literally saved by being moved to PS Plus for February).

All in all though, I think the whole thing regarding lack of any bombastic 1P next-gen games at launch for MS is a wash; they're gonna sell out regardless, same thing with Sony. Sony just happened to make some smart moves and has a really good 1P launch lineup this time around, but they're still constrained by supply regardless of if they could sell more systems in the launch period on strength of the 1P launch games. At least in overall offerings for 2021 though MS's lineup should be a lot stronger even if we're still guessing on some 1P stuff outside of Halo Infinite and FS2020 (2021?).

Guessing that they were waiting for the Gamecore stuff to mature further, that way features planned for updates on PC like RT could be on the console version Day 1. That, and they might be (hopefully) looking for ways to add some content that could "gameify" FS2020 on a console.

The engine is incredibly deep and top-of-class in that regard, but there's been a decent amount of expression from people otherwise really impressed with the graphics and physics, about it not seeming like a "killer app" for a console because it's a simulator. I get it; as a simulator it even makes stuff like Gran Turismo and Forza look "gamey". So I figure MS could be looking into adding some type of structure for a Career/Simulation mode, with flight races, maybe some Pilotwings-style events and challenges in there.

Heck, maybe even a Story campaign of some kind, sort of like what the Madden/UFC/NBA 2K etc. games do. Hopefully something that's more of a better story than those, tho.

Last edited:
Guessing that they were waiting for the Gamecore stuff to mature further, that way features planned for updates on PC like RT could be on the console version Day 1. That, and they might be (hopefully) looking for ways to add some content that could "gameify" FS2020 on a console.

yeah that does seem to be what they are doing, we know that they are porting the game to DX12 Ultimate, from the current DX11 (I couldn't believe they were using 11 tbh) they say it should improve performance a not unsubstantial amount so might that might be a factor. Would make the consoles looked better too if, as I assume will be the case the DX12U version is released on consoles before it gets to pc. seeing the series x hitting 4k 60 fps locked while a 3090 barely does 65 at the same would be some killer marketing, even if its not the whole story

EDIT:
Also with regard to gamifying, I completely agree, at the moment there are no missions in msfs, the devs had said that there will be eventually. In a lot of ways it almost feels like the pc release was a 'soft launch' not in a BETA kind of way but in a feature complete for what it is, but not the final feature set kind of way. They have hinted at something like a career mode, or at least something that would allow you to progress in someway

Some ways they could have mitigated the lack of games for very little money and time.

Release DLC/Short standalone titles.
So the Gears DLC that is coming is good. But the DLC should be built with XSX as the target platform not patched up.(no idea how it's been developed)

They could've had a couple things like that for launch window at the bare minimum, and be advertising them also.
Where is the forza horizon 4 dlc
The Project Gotham Racing equivalent to the forza fast and the furious standone.

Minecraft RT for XS and PC only. (Inc update to dungeons)

Considering not getting new forza/horizon could have done a gears type patch and done more to them especially as I'm sure there still heavily played.

These are just the most obviously ones, that wouldn't need extended development periods, be cross gen but due to targeting XSX would look even better, etc.

So I firmly put it down to xbox lack of forsight thinking halo infinite was either looking good or enough by itself.

Considering not getting new forza/horizon could have done a gears type patch and done more to them especially as I'm sure there still heavily played.

I wish they did have new FH4 DLC to go along with their free Series X|S update patch.

"Panic Button developed the free Optimized for Xbox Series X|S update for Forza Horizon 4. Might be an obvious tidbit, but this translates to Playground Games being very busy with Forza Horizon Next and Fable."

"We are excited to reveal that we have been hard at work with @WeArePlayGround to bring #ForzaHorizon 4 to #Xbox Series X|S. We can’t wait for everyone to hit the open roads in this version of the game which is optimized to harness the power of the new generation of #Xbox"​

Some ways they could have mitigated the lack of games for very little money and time.

Release DLC/Short standalone titles.
So the Gears DLC that is coming is good. But the DLC should be built with XSX as the target platform not patched up.(no idea how it's been developed)

They could've had a couple things like that for launch window at the bare minimum, and be advertising them also.
Where is the forza horizon 4 dlc
The Project Gotham Racing equivalent to the forza fast and the furious standone.

Minecraft RT for XS and PC only. (Inc update to dungeons)

These are just the most obviously ones, that wouldn't need extended development periods, be cross gen but due to targeting XSX would look even better, etc.

So I firmly put it down to xbox lack of forsight thinking halo infinite was either looking good or enough by itself.

While they're interesting ideas for having a bit more of showcase, the XSX is still sold out. They're doing fine for now. Whether there's enough pent up demand for the next batch of XSX's...?

A bit more going over Xbox Series X|S FH4 -- https://www.fullthrottlemedia.co.uk/article/fh4-series-x
---
FORZA HORIZON 4 ON XBOX SERIES X: THIS IS 4K/60FPS AT ITS BEST

Forza Horizon 4 on Xbox Series X introduces PC ultra-level settings to console for the very first time. On Xbox One X, players were given a choice between a 4K/30FPS mode or a 1080p/60FPS mode. The 4K mode also included some neat graphical upgrades, such as night shadows from car headlights. All of this has been replaced with a simple, singular option for both new consoles.​

On Xbox Series X, the game operates at native 4K resolution locked to 60FPS with all the visual bells and whistles you’d expect from the PC version. Meanwhile, the Xbox Series S drops the resolution to 1080p whilst maintaining that 60FPS lock. Considering the price of the all-digital console, it’s an impressive feat and although I haven’t tested the game on Xbox Series S, it should be ideal for those who are still playing on a Full HD display.​

A bit more going over Xbox Series X|S FH4
Thanks, I had only heard 4k60 and 1080p60.

But those DLC's considering no new release for either would've been good way to keep them supported and new 1P next gen experiences that you hadn't played yet.

Kinda Funny Xcast less Alanah Pierce(who has left the show) has done their review of the Series X. Not expecting nothing or sensational, but that SnowbikeMike is adorable. LOL

Tommy McClain

Reactions: Jay
It's a strange feeling to be reviewing Xbox Series X after a preview period which essentially blew the doors open on so much of the experience. We know that Series X offers a generational leap over Xbox One and One X in so many respects: the CPU upgrade is so pronounced we couldn't measure it in backwards compatibility gaming tests, the graphics boost is a creditable 2x over One X (without even factoring in architectural advances) with more than an 8x multiplier over the One S. Combined with the fast SSD, Xbox Series X excels in delivering a lag-free console experience to the extent that returning to the current-gen machines feels undesirable, to say the least. We're not quite back to the plug-and-play ethos that defined the early games consoles, but this is a healthy step in the right direction.

I watched a bunch of reviews for Series X and Series S yesterday. I think there is often a common theme and I think that maybe Microsoft's decision to let media have such early access could have contributed to some of the more muted reviews. By muted I don't mean bad, I mean less excited then 3-4 weeks back.

Folks were definitely more excited when they first got their Series X consoles, the joy was palpable :yes: I think that some of this is because when people get a new entertainment device, they go through a heightened new-toy euphoria bubble that shrinks after a few weeks. Not because it's a bad device but because much of the novelty has worn off. Media have had new firmware pre-release firmware breaking games that worked the day before so had a poorer experience than consumers will have and these little dings erode some of that experience. Loading is faster everywhere, but it's nuts how quickly you just get used to expecting that, like when you first move to an SSD-only computer or get a faster phone. People rarely notice when a product or service is working well/efficiently, its when things go wrong that stick out.

The decision to keep the same UI was brave. The plus points are obvious: everybody with an Xbox immediately knows how to use the new console. The minus point is it feels the same, albeit quicker.

A few weeks in your product experience is a UI feels the same as the last X years and a controller feels the same as the last X years. You don't notice faster loads as much because you're now used to it.

I watched a bunch of reviews for Series X and Series S yesterday. I think there is often a common theme and I think that maybe Microsoft's decision to let media have such early access could have contributed to some of the more muted reviews. By muted I don't mean bad, I mean less excited then 3-4 weeks back.
Possibly.
My take has been, "we've tried lots of BC games now what."
Their happy with speed etc, and can't go back.

But what really impressive looking games have they had during all the time, even if you didn't care about 1P they've not had many 3P especially impressive looking ones to try out either.

Since the first show they've done, it's the games not the hardware that has been an issue.

I've not seen any negative reviews though, just "There's a huge halo shaped hole in it", i.e missing game/s.

Back